996 GT3 Purchase

1 hour ago, mrar said:

Yep, you would be battling to make an accurate clone out of an ordinary 996.

I'm sure if you threw enough cash and parts at one you could get close. 

It'd be interesting to hear from those who have driven both a standard 996 and a GT3 of the same era, with what the differences are.

I've never driven a GT3, though I have driven a couple of bog stock 996's and @PhilH car (the best 911 I've driven yet), and there's a pretty big difference with the suspension mods done to Phil's car, so I can only imagine what a GT3 is like to drive 

12 hours ago, LeeM said:

I'm sure if you threw enough cash and parts at one you could get close. 

It'd be interesting to hear from those who have driven both a standard 996 and a GT3 of the same era, with what the differences are.

I've never driven a GT3, though I have driven a couple of bog stock 996's and @PhilH car (the best 911 I've driven yet), and there's a pretty big difference with the suspension mods done to Phil's car, so I can only imagine what a GT3 is like to drive 

Significant differences in suspension and (the big one) is the engine. 996 Carrera is a lovely car but a 996 GT3 is a whole lot more car, you really need to get some seat time in one. Hit up Simon - he should know how to give you a good time/first experience. (Yes, you read that right. Wink!) 

Simon is a great bloke @hugh, though trusting me with my first time/first experience, I'd need to buy him dinner or something first 😉

Some very generous locals and a couple of SA mates on here have offered a drive of their GT3's before, yet I've declined coz I know it will probably cost me $200k or more, and the missus 🙄

14 hours ago, LeeM said:

Some very generous locals and a couple of SA mates on here have offered a drive of their GT3's before, yet I've declined coz I know it will probably cost me $200k or more, and the missus 🙄

Saying that, someone let me loose in a 992 yesterday, pity there were lots of road blocks, but great to have a go.

On 18/12/2022 at 00:36, LeeM said:

Mate, having gone from 996.1 GT3 to 996.1 Carrera 2 there are significant differences, basically around suspension and engine power as noted by Hugh.  I certainly miss the raw grunt of the Mezger engine, but as most of my use now is road use, the C2 3.4 is still acceptable.  As I'm not track focused anymore, the softer suspension in the C2 is a blessing, and ride is certainly a more comfortable ride, particularly favoured by household management.  As I'm not looking for ulitmate road holding limit anymore, C2 is more than adequate, and I haven't even got highest spec road tyres (Yoko V701s).  These were new when I got the car, so would replace with a higher level tyre next time.  My GT3 was a Komfort, but had the Recaro buckets, and again standard seats are more comfortable for longer drives, but without the "hold you firmly at any cost" the Recaros give you on the track.

Would I have another 996 GT3?  Absolutely, but only if I had the space to be able to have another car for longer road trips, and rough country roads.....

10 minutes ago, Shedpest said:

Saying that, someone let me loose in a 992 yesterday, pity there were lots of road blocks, but great to have a go.

Yep, had 4 hours behind the wheel of a 992 Carrera S last month.  Could be very addictive......

1 hour ago, edgy said:

You'd only be driving his car, not rooting him... relax 

Ooh jeez...😳

I wouldn't be the one buying dinner with that mate 😅

6 hours ago, Shedpest said:

I bet you dribbled a bit 🤤

@TwoHeadsTas

Thanks Pete 👍

I think @PhilH has similar GT3 spec suspension in his 996, which is probably why it's so quick on the steering and a much firmer ride than a stock car. Bloody good fun that thing is to drive

On 18/12/2022 at 00:36, LeeM said:

Stock I'm sure it's not even close. I had the suspension on my C2 pretty well sorted by Autohaus and it really was a totally different car afterward... Biggest issue became how little hold the seats gave you 😂 ...

Would love to have driven it back to back it with a GT3 after that to see how the handling compared, I'm sure it was probably still another step up but maybe close?

I'm sure @James P has spent plenty of time in both and could comment on the question?

On 13/12/2022 at 12:22, TwoHeadsTas said:

And a $10k price drop on the car at Nick Theodossi......

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-911-2004/oag-ad-21336612/?utm_campaign=price-alert&utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&csn_atid=3095f428-2182-4096-8ffd-b11d2ebf0a77

Saw @James P's car on Sunday at Porsches by the Bay, that still has to be a car to look at if you're serious about acquiring a 996 GT3.

I thought James P sold his white GT3🤔

Pricing was better than a few of the 250k ones on CS that are still sitting.

CS silver one at Duttons down also to 250k

51 minutes ago, PDean said:

I thought James P sold his white GT3🤔

Pricing was better than a few of the 250k ones on CS that are still sitting.

CS silver one at Duttons down also to 250k

He was driving it at Porsches By the Bay Sunday before last, so presume still available??

The difference is a few items, mainly the engine power delivery & response is by far the biggest difference, the suspension & chassis stiffness, the gearing & clutch, brakes... everything in the GT3 is just so much more responsive. 

I did have a 1998 996 C2 manual with factory M030 suspension, LSD & sport comfort seats, it was basically 60% of a GT3 

If you could put a Mezger engine in a C2 easily the GT3 wouldn't be as valuable as it is, the design of the standard Carrera engine just has to many problems & can not be easily modified to make it reliable with big power & response  

Haven't checked here in a few days but I see I have been "whored out" 🙋‍♂️

I have offered @LeeM some passenger laps in the cup car, but he has to supply his own milk crate and tek screws to bolt it down. The screws better be good ones.

There is a guy on rennlist who has managed to fit a GT3 driveline to a C2. He says it is all of a 996 GT3 without the price tag. I suspect he is wrong, as Porsche is known for it's flagship models equaling more than just the sum of their parts. 

3 hours ago, spiller said:

Haven't checked here in a few days but I see I have been "whored out" 🙋‍♂️

I have offered @LeeM some passenger laps in the cup car, but he has to supply his own milk crate and tek screws to bolt it down. The screws better be good ones.

I hadn't mentioned the cup car ride mate, as that's another level again.

And I've bought some roofing screws recently, so I just need to flog a milk crate from the servo, and I'll be calling 👍😁

And he now has the Zanzibar Red one too.  Think this was advertised privately for $270ish????  (unless this is Twissies' car???)

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-911-2000/oag-ad-21446277/?utm_campaign=search-alert&utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&csn_atid=3c840a18-a0c8-471b-84f5-67373dbdd56f

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

And he now has the Zanzibar Red one too.  Think this was advertised privately for $270ish????  (unless this is Twissies' car???)

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-911-2000/oag-ad-21446277/?utm_campaign=search-alert&utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&csn_atid=3c840a18-a0c8-471b-84f5-67373dbdd56f

Matt sure does get some cool cars through his shop 😎

What a colour! Especially in fading light.....

My first drive of a GT3 was in one of these in Zanzibar - ironically at PCGC (might even be the same car) and coming form my 930 at the time - couldn't believe how theses things pulled AFTER 5000 rpm....

Make a FAT Chrissy present.....

4 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Last time this was advertised privately it was 250k. 

Quick flip I guess.

Or maybe not so quick, most have been on the market for a while, but a unique colour may help🤔

• 4 weeks later...