996 GT3 Purchase

On 20/10/2023 at 17:32, micknine01 said:

Not really a good indicator at all, it’s been resprayed, maybe there’s a reason why it hasn’t sold.

Who runs at auction to finish at 430pm on a Friday? I’ve not seen anything sell high on CC- great for buyers it seems. 

Standard questions that reflect price-

Colour, kms, matching motor, what else? It’s unrealistic to ask if a mk1 has seen a track or not, less so with a Mk2- there wasn’t a cup car early on- they were cream of the crop back in the day and unlike 991 onwards they weren’t bought for speculation or posing so much. 

Besides I don’t know why some have such fear of a car that’s seen a track in some way- often if not always better maintained than a road car! And plenty of road cars have been fixed and no one would know. 

Moderate kms and great condition 220 for a Mk1 and I think Mk2. Acquired taste for some snobs but hey even a 997 hasn’t had much love in the past 12months. 

6 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Yes, but probably 18 months too late with that level of pricing????

Only time will tell! 

On 20/10/2023 at 16:48, edgy said:

I was just about to share this too... I thought maybe the last minute bidding might get heated, alas it was a few bidders just throwing singles at it, and the seller lowered the reserve in the last hour! 

So $161k~ Inc BP ... perhaps not too far off where a deal may get done? What was the last asking price on that higher mile silver 6.2 that was at Porschaden? 

Screenshot2023-10-20at4_39_33pm.thumb.png.70ea1dd1d40780148099af374dc00c2b.png

Adjusted to 205 back on cs.

Seems like the 996 GT3s have just fallen through the floor for some reason. They are back at pre-covid pricing I'd say. 

Feel sorry for those who purchased them as "investments" at the peak. 

I saw the news the other day, a Nissan R34 GTR on collecting cars soon with a $1 million price tag. Albeit, some rare model, but I'd take a 996 GT3 any day of the week. 

I think $150-175k is where the 996s belong at the moment. Maybe $200k for a rare colour, or low km example if you really really want one. 

Market has become a interesting place. 

19 minutes ago, 911 said:

Seems like the 996 GT3s have just fallen through the floor for some reason. They are back at pre-covid pricing I'd say. 

Feel sorry for those who purchased them as "investments" at the peak. 

I saw the news the other day, a Nissan R34 GTR on collecting cars soon with a $1 million price tag. Albeit, some rare model, but I'd take a 996 GT3 any day of the week. 

I think $150-175k is where the 996s belong at the moment. Maybe $200k for a rare colour, or low km example if you really really want one. 

Market has become a interesting place. 

It has indeed.  For once in my life I got in at the right time, and out at the right time.  Bought mine Jan '20 and sold Jun '22 - never purchased as an investment, was a high km one to start with so it was bought to enjoy.  Orginally I thought that if I was lucky I'd get my money back when I sold, so have a few years of lower cost enjoyment.  Only sold when it was time to say I have enjoyed (but my wife didn't 🙂 ), but time to pass on to someone else, and was replaced with a .1 C2 that is much less hardcore.....

Here is the conundrum... 

Say you have a Mid $200k for an average example 996 GT3, that now has to compete with a motivated 991.1 GT3 seller... I love the 996/997 generation of cars, but if I were buying now and presented with the option, the 991 would get my $$$ 

Say what you will about the 991.1 GT3, but I would definitely add one to the collection at the right price, because it is an incredible package! 

35 minutes ago, edgy said:

Here is the conundrum... 

Say you have a Mid $200k for an average example 996 GT3, that now has to compete with a motivated 991.1 GT3 seller... I love the 996/997 generation of cars, but if I were buying now and presented with the option, the 991 would get my $$$ 

Say what you will about the 991.1 GT3, but I would definitely add one to the collection at the right price, because it is an incredible package! 

Also the better looking 991 imo of the two.

The thing all the early GT3s have going for them is they are rare. Made even more so by the number of them that went into the wall or off into the weeds while being spanked.

Much as I love the 996 as a road car, if you're using it in anger on a track for the money there are better options.

Gotta love that bucket of bolts idle though 👍 

3 hours ago, edgy said:

I agree great looking and great sounding cars!! Once the valve train fix has been commercialized post warranty, I believe these cars will be sort after in line with others it’s just waiting on costs to land so values can be set with some certainty. 

58 minutes ago, SS 3 said:

I agree great looking and great sounding cars!! Once the valve train fix has been commercialized post warranty, I believe these cars will be sort after in line with others it’s just waiting on costs to land so values can be set with some certainty. 

Dundon was working on this until the engine warranty came out right? From memory they mothballed the project until warranty period ends, so seems like next year there may be a solution! 

42 minutes ago, mrar said:

You either like to own older simpler 911 car or you don't.

I like old ones, 996.1 gt3 is my modern "old" limit then <79. to swb.

Some folks bat for both teams.... 

24 minutes ago, JWM said:

This new 997.2 listing, and how it fares, should put many a 996 and 997 on Carsales on-notice about the reality of their pricing, especially the latest one above...

Boom... there you go! 

9 hours ago, 911 said:

That GTR is a rare bird and the pricing is a bit ambitious.

Around 12,000 R34 GTRs made, a little over double the number of 996 GT3 (inc RS) and many of them butchered by now. A decent, regular spec one is around the same pricing of a 996 GT3 in the current market but softening at a similar rate. I think in the long run the 34 is a better car for speculation: hero car of the PlayStation generation, pent up US demand and a hot commodity among emerging Asian markets. Speculation aside, I’d say you could have just as much fun on the track, and even more attention at the coffee meets in the Nissan.

2 minutes ago, GTP911 said:

Just got my car back today from PCM; suspension refresh, corner balance, wheel alignment & new Cup 2 contacts to read this thread to realise, I just spent ~10% of it's current value.........

IMG_1835.jpg

Well you should get100% more  grins per mile. 

9 hours ago, vinnytang said:

That GTR is a rare bird and the pricing is a bit ambitious.

Around 12,000 R34 GTRs made, a little over double the number of 996 GT3 (inc RS) and many of them butchered by now. A decent, regular spec one is around the same pricing of a 996 GT3 in the current market but softening at a similar rate. I think in the long run the 34 is a better car for speculation: hero car of the PlayStation generation, pent up US demand and a hot commodity among emerging Asian markets. Speculation aside, I’d say you could have just as much fun on the track, and even more attention at the coffee meets in the Nissan.

All GTRs are fragile on the track unless modified to suit. Spun bearings, oil temps through the roof, and they’re under braked. I had a highly modified R32 and it was fantastic but once I got the GT3 it never saw the track again. R34 isn’t THAT different to R32.

11 hours ago, GTP911 said:

Just got my car back today from PCM; suspension refresh, corner balance, wheel alignment & new Cup 2 contacts to read this thread to realise, I just spent ~10% of it's current value.........

IMG_1835.jpg

Love a black 996 GT3!

210 pages on the 996 Purchase- how many pages on the 991? 996 so talked about! Not the fastest, not the prettiest, not the biggest, but sure is good fun.