996 GT3 Purchase

Slowly! Currently in primer and being blocked for paint. Having been back to bare metal it all looks to be original which is re-assuring!

I'm curious if anyone else on here has a Mk1 in Guards red......?

And yes I have to agree how good they look in GR.  Dare i say, nicer than the usual boring black, grey, blue or silver!

3 hours ago, Cam Arnott said:

Slowly! Currently in primer and being blocked for paint. Having been back to bare metal it all looks to be original which is re-assuring!

I'm curious if anyone else on here has a Mk1 in Guards red......?

And yes I have to agree how good they look in GR.  Dare i say, nicer than the usual boring black, grey, blue or silver!

Agree. And Zanzibar red too. 

15 hours ago, mrar said:

I got a boring shit colour one without a single mass flywheel , extra airbags, non fire stuff, battery iso and some other things.

buy a 3.2 carrera instead.😛

Curious to what GT3 owners think.

If you plan not to track a 996 GT3 and just have it as a weekend street car, is it worth it? 

It is money better spent on something aircooled, or say a 996 4S etc. 

4 minutes ago, rminc said:

If you plan not to track a 996 GT3 and just have it as a weekend street car, is it worth it? 

With prices being the way they are, and as a road only car, my vote would be no... 

997.1 Carrera's can be had for very decent money now and are an absolute joy to drive for about half the $$$ add the PCCM+ and you can literally daily it with all the mod-cons you can ever want, and you will still find joy using it as a weekend car. 

25 minutes ago, edgy said:

With prices being the way they are, and as a road only car, my vote would be no... 

997.1 Carrera's can be had for very decent money now and are an absolute joy to drive for about half the $$$ add the PCCM+ and you can literally daily it with all the mod-cons you can ever want, and you will still find joy using it as a weekend car. 

Agree with Kurt.  It got to the stage where the boss basically refused to ride in my .1 GT3 due to suspension harshness and bucket seats.  Now some may see that as a plus, but not in this case 🙂.   Replaced it with an 01 .1 C2 which is much more comfortable to drive and ride in for normal road going, but no where near as much power or fun.....    Great to have been there and done that though.......

Great comment by @edgy the 997 is a great car. What makes a gt3 special? The badge and the mystique of course. To me the 996 feels like an air cooled- it's close in many ways. But light years ahead in many ways also- does everything easier.

All depends on your motivation. Mine is mystique and doing things better - donk, box, brakes, suspension, safety, keeping the boss happy isn't high on my list- not even on it tbh as she couldn't care less and i don't go for country drives with her unless with the family in the family car, going to a family destination.

Maybe the time will come and i'll get a boxster pdk for us both. Moral of the story- change your cars to suit your chapter. Life is short don't die wondering as plenty do!

2 hours ago, rminc said:

I don't track my 996 GT3 I just enjoy it whenever i can, with stock GT3 suspension its rides very nicely & is not harsh at all, i even do school pickup & drop off sometimes  

3 hours ago, rminc said:

Depends on how serious you are about driving and what level of effort vs reward you want from the experience. 

A 996 GT3 is worth every cent, they are a very special car. Sure, all Porsches are nice but at an elevated level of driving it’s the GT products that are in a different league.

If you don’t want to drive fast don’t bother as you won’t notice. 

2 hours ago, Peter John said:

To me the 996 feels like an air cooled- it's close in many ways. But light years ahead in many ways also- does everything easier.

This 👍

That's basically how I describe 996's...especially the '98/99's are just a bloody well sorted air cooled but quicker...and brakes better...and more comfortable...and...just better 😁

@rminc

I haven't driven a GT3, yet have driven a modified 996 with GT3 suspension and a few other little mods, and it was just brilliant...and a lot cheaper than a GT3.

As Hugh mentioned, it just depends how serious you wanna get in the hills. 

Air cooled = Bloody good fun and you get the nostalgic aroma of oil and exhaust fumes included for free👍

GT3            = Fast fun...at a price, yet probably the mutts nuts.

996/997     = Mostly cheaper than both of the above, yet still a lot of fun in the hills...and no complaints about seating comfort 😁😉