996 GT3 Purchase

I'll let James @Jamesp (thanks!) share the update when the car is complete but we're close. I can't wait for my first drive- I've not driven it despite having owned it since about Aug 2020 having checked my notes.

Interior is back in, it'll be fully road registered and cold air cond, as it was delivered to Fitzy.

And for this car 2004 marks it's eligibility on Historic Rego: so no stamp duty, cheaper insurance and rego. Pic from 2000 Clipsal 500 Nations Cup race.

00 Clipsal 500 Nations Cup Cov AN1.jpg

Unfortunately no historic registration until it’s 25 years old in SA.

From 1 July 2022, a vehicle will be eligible as a historic or left-hand drive vehicle under the Conditional Registration Scheme if it is aged 25 years from 1 January of the year in which the vehicle was manufactured. Previously, a vehicle of this category was not eligible to enter the Scheme unless it was aged 30 years from 1 January of the year in which the vehicle was manufactured.

1 hour ago, 1st said:

I'll let James @Jamesp (thanks!) share the update when the car is complete but we're close. I can't wait for my first drive- I've not driven it despite having owned it since about Aug 2020 having checked my notes.

Interior is back in, it'll be fully road registered and cold air cond, as it was delivered to Fitzy.

And for this car 2004 marks it's eligibility on Historic Rego: so no stamp duty, cheaper insurance and rego. Pic from 2000 Clipsal 500 Nations Cup race.

Thanks Stew,

For those that don't know I have been restoring the Fitzgerald Nations cup 996.1 GT3 for @1st this year, it's been a great project & is 99% complete, just signage to go now & then it will be on display at ArtNeun 12 November Port Melbourne. The aim was to restore the car to a usable road going race car, its not a concourse restoration & we set out to keep its history & patina where we could... for updates on the work see my instagram @porscheplatz 

3 hours ago, 1st said:

Lovely shot. Was chatting to Fitzy the other weekend - such a racer to the core.

1 hour ago, 9er said:

Unfortunately no historic registration until it’s 25 years old in SA.

From 1 July 2022, a vehicle will be eligible as a historic or left-hand drive vehicle under the Conditional Registration Scheme if it is aged 25 years from 1 January of the year in which the vehicle was manufactured. Previously, a vehicle of this category was not eligible to enter the Scheme unless it was aged 30 years from 1 January of the year in which the vehicle was manufactured.

Birth year ‘99

2 hours ago, Peter John said:

Lovely shot. Was chatting to Fitzy the other weekend - such a racer to the core.

Birth year ‘99

Yes- It's a MY 1999/1999 build so as of 1 Jan 2024 I should be good to go for rego- well that's the educated advice !

"

Historic vehicle

A motor vehicle is a historic vehicle if 25 years or more have elapsed since 1 January of the year in which the vehicle was manufactured." - from the SA Gov rego site

On 23/10/2023 at 14:18, JWM said:

This new 997.2 listing, and how it fares, should put many a 996 and 997 on Carsales on-notice about the reality of their pricing, especially the latest one above...

I honestly don't think people care about the reality "I know what I've got" - at least not until their bank comes knocking...

20 hours ago, GTP911 said:

Just got my car back today from PCM; suspension refresh, corner balance, wheel alignment & new Cup 2 contacts to read this thread to realise, I just spent ~10% of it's current value.........

IMG_1835.jpg

Money well spent - enjoy in good health 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/10/2023 at 18:49, vinnytang said:

That GTR is a rare bird and the pricing is a bit ambitious.

Around 12,000 R34 GTRs made, a little over double the number of 996 GT3 (inc RS) and many of them butchered by now. A decent, regular spec one is around the same pricing of a 996 GT3 in the current market but softening at a similar rate. I think in the long run the 34 is a better car for speculation: hero car of the PlayStation generation, pent up US demand and a hot commodity among emerging Asian markets. Speculation aside, I’d say you could have just as much fun on the track, and even more attention at the coffee meets in the Nissan.

I know I am late to the party with this, but I am just catching back up on this thread and I tried to find the GTR that was supposed to be $1m. I didn't find it, but I did go through old Collecting Cars listings of GTR's which I don't follow. 

I know this is not really the thread but can someone tell me what the go with these cars is?

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2017-nissan-r35-gt-r-nismo

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2018-nissan-r35-gt-r-nismo

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2019-nissan-r35-gt-r

There has to be something dodgy going on? Surely no one is spending $300k on an R35?

I'm not aware of any changing hands recently.  I think the price in the middle of Covid madness was somewhere around $350 for one with a pristine history, lord knows what it would be now.  Perhaps similar still given scarcity????  Edgy's probably the only one considering testing these waters.....

IIRC Hugh's theory on these was 150% of GT3 money.  Given a realistic price for a real good one of these is probably low 200's then $300-$350 would perhaps be realistic???

1 minute ago, edgy said:

I just put the feelers out on mine last week, and when it comes to it, the consensus was no one can put a number on them… 

Correct. Not many transacting to be able to get a clear indication. As a guide, I’d expect high 3’s to low 4’s pending condition, kms etc. 

2 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I'm not aware of any changing hands recently.  I think the price in the middle of Covid madness was somewhere around $350 for one with a pristine history, lord knows what it would be now.  Perhaps similar still given scarcity????  Edgy's probably the only one considering testing these waters.....

IIRC Hugh's theory on these was 150% of GT3 money.  Given a realistic price for a real good one of these is probably low 200's then $300-$350 would perhaps be realistic???

There you go, Hugh has spoken, he'd know far more than me......

8 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

somewhere around $350 for one with a pristine history

That is pretty much the only advertised 996GT3RS listed for sale in the last 'few' years.  It would be a very obscure reference to use, as it's a one off Ad.  

I'm familiar with the car. It was a UK import, relatively High kms, and has some 'history'. It was sold requiring a substantial amount of work.  So not the Pristine example. 

9 hours ago, PotsAndPans said:

What are these worth today? image.png.d3af809be03fe55fab80eabcf89a0ce5.png

Good luck buying an Australian delivered 996GT3RS anywhere under $400k. I would expect it could even start with a $500... 

19 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Good luck buying an Australian delivered 996GT3RS anywhere under 400. I would expect it to start with a $500... 

Whilst I agree they should be worth 5’s, I’d suggest you’d struggle in the current market. Low to mid 4’s at best for a good example if you were on the market to sell. 

7 hours ago, edgy said:

Genuine question, with the absolute scarcity of RHD cars (140 for the world) how much do we think local delivery actually adds? 

Yep, agree that 140 rhd number diminishes the difference. 17 of those came to Aus. 

The driving experience is obviously the same, but to some people Aus delivered can mean the difference between buying and not buying.  

I expect we are now in a market where there are true collector grade cars and the rest, with a big gap in price between them that’s growing.  Ie - really low km, perfect history, and basically concourse winning (not just entering) condition are the ones that will really rock price wise and sell at records.  For the rest, I don’t think in this market their sale price will be even close. There’s also just so much good choice now in market. 

As context, covid was peak sales time for any of the good but non collector grade cars.  ie through covid and coming out, there were approx 220 Porsche coupe second hand in all Aussie on carsales….it’s now about 600…+ the cabriolets. That time is also getting to be old news….it’s gone / over. 

Incredibly to my little brain, nearing 100 are gt3, gt4, gt3rs, GT4RS or spyder.   Amazing choice. 

I watch cars sales every day as a hobby - for years, along with a good level of network and word of mouth off market sales.  I’ll go out a limb around current prices as a bit of fun to get into it  

• 996 gt3. A good one. Real sale price at $180k or so, before duties etc. Maybe a little more but unlikely anymore?  
  • 996 gt3rs non collector grade.  1.5 x 996 gt3=$ 270k before taxes.  
  • collector grade 996 gt3rs = 1.5 x 996 gt3rs above= $ 405k before taxes.  I doubt these really even get listed, just sell off market.