1 hour ago, JV911 said:

Because it actually represents a discount to anyone considering undertaking a project of their own. They could either buy a stocker for a small fortune, then spend another small fortune modding it, or they could buy something like that one. Niche market, but it's there.

Sorry JV I just don't get it. Times have obviously changed because track cars such as that white one would have been seriously hard to shift at half that money (comparatively speaking).

1 hour ago, smit2100 said:

Do you need 200k to throw at hot?  Seemed to be a pretty clean low km  997.1 gt3 in perth advertised at  150k for a quick offload (with perhaps even a slight discount to asking price ) a couple of months back.  5k for servicing / nuance  fixes and for me in terms if wanker talk whats wrong with  a sharkwerks tune, Kline valvtronic exhaust with 100 cel cats and some ohlins road and track coilovers to soften it off as you say  or  raise it up or down.  Isn't that  about $170k and then add 10k for near term consumables / missteps on a ppi or a comfy drivers seat).  Forgot to mention didn't need the extra  10k premium for colour  either ( it was white). In terms of investment and that wanker  talk, about a day on a hoist and a bit of rewiring to  bring it back to stock as I see it if ever inclined to do so.

Havent driven either  but  hard to imagine any N/A 964 ( even a singer at circa 500hp) matching a tweaked 997 in the performance and handling stakes if one was restricted to one garage spot for that week end NA alrounder for that  spin around the extended block.

Pretty hard to objectively justify a non-RS 964 over any GT3 (of similar condition), unless you're dead-set on a 964.

964's aren't about speed, just like older 911's aren't. My 2010 mini is faster and handles better than my 964!

Still love it though!

1 hour ago, smit2100 said:

Do you need 200k to throw at hot?  Seemed to be a pretty clean low km  997.1 gt3 in perth advertised at  150k for a quick offload (with perhaps even a slight discount to asking price ) a couple of months back.  5k for servicing / nuance  fixes and for me in terms if wanker talk whats wrong with  a sharkwerks tune, Kline valvtronic exhaust with 100 cel cats and some ohlins road and track coilovers to soften it off as you say  or  raise it up or down.  Isn't that  about $170k and then add 10k for near term consumables / missteps on a ppi or a comfy drivers seat).  Forgot to mention didn't need the extra  10k premium for colour  either ( it was white). In terms of investment and that wanker  talk, about a day on a hoist and a bit of rewiring to  bring it back to stock as I see it if ever inclined to do so.

Havent driven either  but  hard to imagine any N/A 964 ( even a singer at circa 500hp) matching a tweaked 997 in the performance and handling stakes if one was restricted to one garage spot for that week end NA alrounder for that  spin around the extended block.

996 turbo still best bang for buck mate and u know it 

On 22/10/2019 at 22:33, Midnight 911 said:

The perfect pair! 
964 wins though. Untouchable. 

Big call Luke, but you are certainly in the position to make that comparison (good to see where the heart still lies) 

On 22/10/2019 at 22:33, Midnight 911 said:

The perfect pair! 
964 wins though. Untouchable. 

Huge call! But I love it. 

I’m always a little bit surprised by how many practical and rational arguments are presented in this thread.

The heart wants what the heart wants. If I didn’t own a P car and was buying my first, I’d still want a 964. Is it as good a driving experience as a 997 GT3? In purely dynamic terms, of course not. Does it have that insane howl you only get when hitting 9000 RPM. No. But it’s way too easy – when making rational arguments – to ignore the obvious. As enthusiasts, most of us are looking for cars that just light that fire within. For some, it’ll be a modern GT car. For others a long hood. For yet others, a 964. Love doesn’t make sense people.

I want three Porsches. My 964, a long hood and a modern-day GT car. Because I want all of those experiences. But would I sacrifice my 964 for a GT3? Nope. Does that make sense? Doesn’t have to. I go into the garage every night before bed to “check that the back door is locked” and stand there just looking for 60 seconds. And that’s what I was looking for when I decided three years ago to get another Porsche.

1 hour ago, Ashbaxter said:

Apologies if this has been discussed before but at this price does anyone know why it's been sitting so long?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1990-porsche-911-carrera-4-964-manual-awd/SSE-AD-6019997/?Cr=31

My 2c: its a combo of factors - C4, import, odd interior colour, ugly wheels & bad photos. 

6 minutes ago, itsujack said:

It looks like original factory ride height to me. Most have been lowered by now.

Maybe you are right. Either way, it looks odd ;)  

It needs to come down at least a bit to look right.

On 29/10/2019 at 11:02, OBRUT said:

My 2c: its a combo of factors - C4, import, odd interior colour, ugly wheels & bad photos. 

I considered this one when looking for mine but there were cars local to me with better photos for not much more money. And those wheels and the ride height make me sad. 

On 29/10/2019 at 09:48, Ashbaxter said:

Apologies if this has been discussed before but at this price does anyone know why it's been sitting so long?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1990-porsche-911-carrera-4-964-manual-awd/SSE-AD-6019997/?Cr=31

It started off at $125k

At it's current price I think its worth a look.

I've been watching this car for months. I'm always amazed by how poorly people represent their cars in ads. Rubbish photos etc. This is a classic example of that (albeit not as bad as the images of the car below).

That said, at under $100K it's not hard to look past the crappy photos, crappy wheels and safari stance, or even the fact that it's an import. Well worth a look for a serious buyer in my opinion.

586572471_ScreenShot2019-10-30at10_02_51pm.thumb.png.caa341432db152322aeb183d398b6795.png

368908326_ScreenShot2019-10-30at10_02_57pm.thumb.png.e489dd6cc49356289b8138312d6aa03d.png