3 hours ago, Nikos said:

No, but since you're looking, this came on the market yesturday also.

https://classicthrottleshop.com/1990-porsche-911-964-carrera-2/

Looks stunning, but seems up there in price also.

This beast was offered by CTS in October 2019, where it sat for a while, then I believe was withdrawn from sale. Similar asking price back then, was owned by a Mr Morris from the lower north shore.

At that time they noted that it had an engine rebuild earlier that year by PR Tech, but I can't recall whether that included the 3.8 upgrade. Strange that they would mention a rebuild in May of this year, but perhaps they have just copied the previous verbage from 2019. I think $30K was the number spend with PRT when I looked at it. 

It appears in pretty good condition, definitely driven not hidden. 

9 hours ago, hugh said:

The battle for me is this vs a 996 GT3, it would be a very close call. Equally great propositions, this looks like its had all the right $$$ spent on it. 

I have been very tempted by this car, back in 2019 and again last week. But I keep coming back to the fact that the GT3 in my garage is probably a better car 

I would rather the cheaper bog standard car. I have driven too many tarted up old 911s that are worse to drive than the originals. Many are over powered and completely unsorted in handling and ride. Throwing a set of KWs or Ohlins on does nothing unless a really good guy sorts the car out. And I have seen very few cars that have had this done properly. They have mostly been pigs to drive.

1 hour ago, WGA said:

I would rather the cheaper bog standard car. I have driven too many tarted up old 911s that are worse to drive than the originals. Many are over powered and completely unsorted in handling and ride. Throwing a set of KWs or Ohlins on does nothing unless a really good guy sorts the car out. And I have seen very few cars that have had this done properly. They have mostly been pigs to drive.

Yep, I’ve sworn off old modified cars now.  Had heaps of mild to wild cars over the years.  I tried to relive my youth recently with a well built, restomod E30 S54.  Cool thing but shit AC, squeaks and rattles, cracked dash, handled great but super stiff.  Not to mention I looked like a bit of a twat.  I realised I’m now old so after a short time, I sold it on to a young bloke 😂.  

Ive finally realised that German factory engineering is pretty hard to beat. As cool as the 964 appears, I’d take a GT3 every day.  With AC that works 😂

In saying that I don't know  why you would need a GT3 Unless you tracked the car or it is a shed queen, My 6.2 C2 is too fast for public roads , If it didn't have cruze control I would not have a licence, My 964 was a great drive but the 6.2 is better in every way.Except the sound of that motor :)

8 minutes ago, RwGreeny said:

I think you’re all missing the point. If you can only have one, this isn’t the car. Even if you’re adding a second pcar this probably wouldn’t be it. But for a car to experience half a dozen times a year on the right roads, that is when I think this car would be a peach

I dunno, I always thought the point of this thread was "Why buy a 964 when you can buy a 996 GT3?" 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

So this is titled 964 market watch - correct?

Why all the talk of 996 GT3's?

Its a broad church - and different cars appeal to different people....with different requirements.

The solution is not always buy the latest and greatest GT3 that you can either afford or find, regardless of how competent and fast they are.

Justin

4 minutes ago, reedminor said:

Its a broad church - and different cars appeal to different people....with different requirements.

The solution is not always buy the latest and greatest GT3 that you can either afford or find, regardless of how competent and fast they are.

Justin

This. 👆🏼

16 minutes ago, reedminor said:

Justin

I don't think anyone on here would disagree with you on this. 

If you read the commentary though the discussion was actually around a comparison of the 2 cars. I actually found it to be a good comparison (having owned both a 964 C2 & 996 GT3 at the same time) and somewhat interesting.....................Let's not get too precious about a bit of robust actual Porsche talk, that's kind of the point of this place.  

#killjoy :rolleyes:;):)

27 minutes ago, hugh said:

I don't think anyone on here would disagree with you on this. 

If you read the commentary though the discussion was actually around a comparison of the 2 cars. I actually found it to be a good comparison (having owned both a 964 C2 & 996 GT3 at the same time) and somewhat interesting.....................Let's not get too precious about a bit of robust actual Porsche talk, that's kind of the point of this place.  

#killjoy :rolleyes:;):)

I will get precious damn it! 😂 Am I biased? You betcha. I just think it’s interesting how many times this thread has gone down the path of “why pay that for a 964 when you could get a 996GT3?”

It either makes sense to you or it doesn’t.

As I’ve said before on this thread, in pure performance terms the GT3 would slay the 964. But it’s not always about that is it? If it was, the long hood market would crash. I may not have a GT3 but I can tell you if I had to choose between my 964 and my 991C2S there’d be no question. The 991 would go. Performance and speed is incredible but I’d happily pay a fortune for the ‘feels’ my 964 delivers. Makes perfect sense to me. 

6 hours ago, tomo said:

In saying that I don't know  why you would need a GT3 Unless you tracked the car or it is a shed queen, My 6.2 C2 is too fast for public roads , If it didn't have cruze control I would not have a licence, My 964 was a great drive but the 6.2 is better in every way.Except the sound of that motor :)

Three quarters of the Porsche’s I own are far to fast for the road. Especially the GT3’s. even the 964 hotrod were talking about (and lusting after) will be way to fast to thrash on road. But that doesn’t stop me wanting it for exactly that application. If you think like that we would all be driving Citroen 2CV’s

1 hour ago, Andy73 said:

I will get precious damn it! 😂 Am I biased? You betcha. I just think it’s interesting how many times this thread has gone down the path of “why pay that for a 964 when you could get a 996GT3?”

It either makes sense to you or it doesn’t.

As I’ve said before on this thread, in pure performance terms the GT3 would slay the 964. But it’s not always about that is it? If it was, the long hood market would crash. I may not have a GT3 but I can tell you if I had to choose between my 964 and my 991C2S there’d be no question. The 991 would go. Performance and speed is incredible but I’d happily pay a fortune for the ‘feels’ my 964 delivers. Makes perfect sense to me. 

Keeping in mind though we are not comparing a bog stock 964 to a GT3 (I agree that's a relatively pointless exercise), we are comparing a highly modified, 300HP 964 (similar HP to a GT3) with a 200k asking price. I get that the two cars are typically chalk & cheese but in regards to the CTS 964 they have quite a few similarities and I would suspect be a pretty similar ownership proposition in terms of strengths and weaknesses. 

I'm equally not at all interested in an "old vs new" debate as there is no right or wrong in that regard - the more variety the better in my opinion. But that CTS 964, well, that just appears to capture a real sweet spot for me. I hope someone hurries up and buys it..................it looks and sounds like it would be a hoot! 

The old vs new debate isn’t a thing anymore. They are both old since Porsche requires you to order parts from the classic division and the 6.1 GT3 is literally two decades old now. That CTS 964 is super tasty and it’s safe to say we all want it in our lives. As for the which one you would rather. I’ll refer the debate of soft shell vs hard shell taco

1DED8DF6-FA09-4A8F-8C32-0E838FC51446.jpeg

3 minutes ago, RwGreeny said:

The old vs new debate isn’t a thing anymore. They are both old since Porsche requires you to order parts from the classic division and the 6.1 GT3 is literally two decades old now. That CTS 964 is super tasty and it’s safe to say we all want it in our lives. As for the which one you would rather. I’ll refer the debate of soft shell vs hard shell taco

1DED8DF6-FA09-4A8F-8C32-0E838FC51446.jpeg

Ah why didn’t someone say Tacos before. Suddenly all makes sense. But yes, I for one would love the 964 at CTS. 

8 hours ago, RwGreeny said:

I think you’re all missing the point. If you can only have one, this isn’t the car. Even if you’re adding a second pcar this probably wouldn’t be it. But for a car to experience half a dozen times a year on the right roads, that is when I think this car would be a peach

Fair points there @RwGreeny 👍

9 hours ago, tomo said:

In saying that I don't know  why you would need a GT3 Unless you tracked the car or it is a shed queen, My 6.2 C2 is too fast for public roads , If it didn't have cruze control I would not have a licence

Having only driven a nicely sorted 996 very recently, and realising I was well above the 'normal' speed I drive at in my old thing, I can only imagine how quickly I'd lose my license in a GT3

7 hours ago, LeeM said:

Fair points there @RwGreeny 👍

Having only driven a nicely sorted 996 very recently, and realising I was well above the 'normal' speed I drive at in my old thing, I can only imagine how quickly I'd lose my license in a GT3

Don’t get a 930 then. Absolute license eating machine. 

44 minutes ago, OBRUT said:

Don’t get a 930 then. Absolute license eating machine. 

Driving that bonkers 400hp 964 Turbo tribute thing at Richmonds was enough to realise that mate...and that I'm now a fan of turbo boost.