997 GT3 Market Watch

For those current owners, what would you say the essential options you should always look for, which are nice to have and lastly the complete waste of money, interested to hear?

Not asking for the big one which is to go Clubsport or not.

7 minutes ago, mbedford said:

For those current owners, what would you say the essential options you should always look for, which are nice to have and lastly the complete waste of money, interested to hear?

In the complete waste of money I’d put sound package plus and mobile phone preparation. As to essentials, each to their own but my must haves were Clubsport, LWB and front lift (driveway issues)

37 minutes ago, mbedford said:

Front lift for sure 

37 minutes ago, mbedford said:

In answering your question i have also elaborated on the differences between the .1 and .2 GT3

often get asked the question as to what the fundamental differences between the 997.1 and .2 GT3 are.

Interior wise

The plastics have been updated to a higher quality along with a more integrated look - Option to have the folding carbon Gt2 buckets are a favourite of mine.

Exterior

Lots of tweaks to the styling and upgraded LED lighting - with the addition new centre lock wheels 

A bore increase

from 3.9 inches to 4.0—raises displacement from 3.6 liters to 3.8

The bigger engine gets hotter cams with greater valve lift and the addition of variable valve timing to the exhaust cams (the intakes already had it).

All together, these changes boost power from 415 hp to 435 and torque from 300 lb-ft to 317. Despite the displacement increase, the engine’s redline climbs from 8400 rpm to 8500

Grip Increases, Too

The next most important change is a set of bodywork revisions that roughly triple the car’s aerodynamic downforce. A redesigned front end provides a more efficient exit for the air flowing through the centre radiator through new ducting to a vent just forward of the trunk lid. The front splitter is lower and deeper. In the rear, a wider wing extends beyond its vertical supports and is tilted down at an angle of 7.8 degrees, which translates into about a 20-degree angle relative to the airflow, which is following the downward slope of the rear window. Together, these changes increase downforce from 66 pounds at 299kph to 220 pounds.

A revised suspension makes the most of this additional force pressing the tires into the pavement. Front spring rates are stiffer by 12 percent, and the anti-roll bar drops from 1.1 inches in diameter to 1.0. In the rear, the anti-roll bar increases from 0.9 inch to 1.0. The PASM adjustable shock absorbers have been completely recalibrated, and the suspension pickup points have changed, thanks to new hubs. These hubs now accommodate centre-lock wheels, employing the same large nuts introduced on the Carrera GT. This design makes for a lighter wheel, saving a total of 6.6 pounds.

Focused On Control

Other major upgrades include bigger 15.0-inch front brake rotors with separate aluminium carriers that actually reduce their weight slightly. For the first time, the GT3 also gets stability control in the form of a specially calibrated Porsche Stability Management system that allows you to turn off the stability control alone or the stability control and traction control together. When these systems are shut down, they do not reactivate, as they do on other Porsches, when you start losing control in a corner under braking.

One innovative new option is PADM, which stands for Porsche Active Drivetrain Mounts. These are hydraulic engine mounts using magnetorheological fluid so their stiffness can be varied according to a programmed map. At high revs they get stiffer to provide a more precise feel by reducing the relative motion between the powertrain and body. Another new option is a front-axle lifting feature, which raises the car’s front end by 1.2 inches when you press a button on the dash. This should help you avoid shredding the effective new front splitter at that local service station with the clifflike ramp.

LWB?

Long Wheel Base lol more room in the back for the parcel shelf yeah :)

Has anyone heard of the front lift system being retro fitted? I remember it as a 'escape from embarrassment' in public places button in previous Lamborghinis. Always the scrape when people are looking.

Also was the front lift option available on the 997.1 gt3?

1 minute ago, mbedford said:

LWB?

Has anyone heard of the front lift system being retro fitted? I remember it as a 'escape from embarrassment' in public places button in previous Lamborghinis. Always the scrape when people are looking.

Light weight buckets 

1 minute ago, mbedford said:

LWB?

I’m sure the one in my old car was retro fitted but not sure . It helped me out a lot 

2 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

Sounds like Scott’s is for sale 

Interested 

53 minutes ago, mbedford said:

LWB?

Also was the front lift option available on the 997.1 gt3?

The lift system can be retrofitted..  Are you after a .1 or .2 ??

I prefer the .1 for its overall simplicity & have owned 2 of them, the first one was a touring with all options available on it including CS flywheel & clutch, roll cage. in my opinion most of the options are not needed 

If you plan to track the car & want to keep it with OEM parts all you need is CS flywheel & clutch, GT2 rear sway bar, roll cage & CS seats from a 996 or 997 if you can find them 

If you want it for the street just get a standard plain Jane touring 

The only mechanical difference between the CS & touring in the .1 is the flywheel & clutch

11 hours ago, mbedford said:

Scott, you havnt answered my question at all ;)

No worries sounds like you needed to bring yourself up to speed just helping out, maybe let people know what you want to do with the car and that might help

Club Sport

PADM - Active Engine Mounts

GT2 Folding Buckets

Front Lift

11 hours ago, StevepGT3 said:

Light weight buckets 

I know someone who has a set that they don't use,  too big to fit in them I heard.

12 hours ago, wilson59 said:

I’m sure the one in my old car was retro fitted but not sure . It helped me out a lot 

Interested 

Wilson if Scotty’s selling his car, trust me grab it while you can.

if I had the means at the moment you would not see me for dust. That car is a pristine original example that looks like it’s just come out of the showroom, and I’m a master Detailer....

knowing scott it will be faultless mechanically as well. 

24 minutes ago, JB said:

Wilson if Scotty’s selling his car, trust me grab it while you can.

if I had the means at the moment you would not see me for dust. That car is a pristine original example that looks like it’s just come out of the showroom, and I’m a master Detailer....

knowing scott it will be faultless mechanically as well. 

Like I said . I would be interested .

3 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

No worries sounds like you needed to bring yourself up to speed just helping out, maybe let people know what you want to do with the car and that might help

Club Sport

GT2 Folding Buckets

Front Lift

I know someone who has a set that they don't use,  too big to fit in them I heard.

Getting in is easy, getting out sucks

3 hours ago, James P said:

Are they for sale?? Price??

No, I think they need to stay with the car

11 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

Club Sport

GT2 Folding Buckets

Front Lift

I was wondering how long it was going to be before some comment about the seats were going to surface 😂

but yes they should definitely stay with the car

12 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

too big to fit in them I heard

It's one of the reasons I didn't buy a 997 GT3.  I could wedge my arse in but it was very uncomfortable and agony on the hip bones after a short drive.   The thought of buying it and then having to fit non Porsche seats (or shave the width of my pelvis) annoyed me.  the 996 version in my GT2 were a perfect fit.  And the LWB in the 991 are fine too.

997s were built for jockeys.

36 minutes ago, DJM said:

It's one of the reasons I didn't buy a 997 GT3.  I could wedge my arse in but it was very uncomfortable and agony on the hip bones after a short drive.   The thought of buying it and then having to fit non Porsche seats (or shave the width of my pelvis) annoyed me.  the 996 version in my GT2 were a perfect fit.  And the LWB in the 991 are fine too.

LWB 

Large wide  bodies ? 

8 hours ago, DJM said:

Thats why you put the earlier seat into the 997 ;)

I was looking for seats and luckily tried to sit in some of the CGT ones as fitted tot he 997, no bueno!! I don't fit and they lack the shoulder support that you get in the 996 type seat... that really is THE best fixed back they've made if you're a turbo bodied guy (wide hips) 

The 991 seats do fit I am told, and available from Carnewal.