997 GT3 Market Watch

This white one has been listed for bloody forever it feels: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2008-porsche-911-gt3-997-manual-my08/SSE-AD-4047460/?Cr=7

Previously the advert was quite well written and showed t had a few nice options installed too like TPS and xenon light upgrade. They reposted the advert and doesn't have any details now.

31 minutes ago, mbedford said:

This white one has been listed for bloody forever it feels: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2008-porsche-911-gt3-997-manual-my08/SSE-AD-4047460/?Cr=7

Previously the advert was quite well written and showed t had a few nice options installed too like TPS and xenon light upgrade. They reposted the advert and doesn't have any details now.

From what I’ve heard, people have tried to contact him and never had a response.

plus the market has changed since it first got listed but the price hasn’t

On 11/12/2019 at 18:10, wilson59 said:

I said that it also had an over rev recorded . I'm sure it sold it the 190 ish

Yes, I purchased it about a month ago. I own other 911’s and other cars, so I believe I have good understanding of mechanics in general, (mech and structural engineer by prof). Additionally I also noted some of the comments on this forum prior to purchasing (some positive others not so). 

That said, after doing my due diligence I did purchase it, and I couldn’t be happier with it, it’s an amazing vehicle In it’s condition, to drive and in its overall aesthetics. Yes it had 1 or 2 very, very minor marks on the headlight from stones, two minor over revs. One range 1 and a minor range 2, both in the first third of its total operating hours. It also had a total of 3 owners.

Richmonds / Martyn, was up front in all their discussions with me. When I got the Vehicle we placed it up on a hoist, plugged into its port, and it’s read out was exactly as previously supplied by Richmonds.

its a 997 GT3, and it’s been designed for a track outing, so a minor over rev, is no issue, particularly with me. In truth most Porsche’s have had a bit of let’s say “exuberant driving had with”. 

The car is in immaculate condition, inside, outside and underneath, with books, and it drives tight, the shift is tight and the leather, carbon fibre bits and those are nice touches as are those light weight bucket seats. It’s a 9.3/10.

So amazing vehicle, glad I acquired it, and also I have to say, Richmonds /  Martyn from Adelaide were impeccable to deal with. The vehicles are as described and I have no hesitation in recommending them.  

8 minutes ago, Rachnath said:

Yes, I purchased it about a month ago. I own other 911’s and other cars, so I believe I have good understanding of mechanics in general, (mech and structural engineer by prof). Additionally I also noted some of the comments on this forum prior to purchasing (some positive others not so). 

That said, after doing my due diligence I did purchase it, and I couldn’t be happier with it, it’s an amazing vehicle In it’s condition, to drive and in its overall aesthetics. Yes it had 1 or 2 very, very minor marks on the headlight from stones, two minor over revs. One range 1 and a minor range 2, both in the first third of its total operating hours. It also had a total of 3 owners.

Richmonds / Martyn, was up front in all their discussions with me. When I got the Vehicle we placed it up on a hoist, plugged into its port, and it’s read out was exactly as previously supplied by Richmonds.

its a 997 GT3, and it’s been designed for a track outing, so a minor over rev, is no issue, particularly with me. In truth most Porsche’s have had a bit of let’s say “exuberant driving had with”. 

The car is in immaculate condition, inside, outside and underneath, with books, and it drives tight, the shift is tight and the leather, carbon fibre bits and those are nice touches as are those light weight bucket seats. It’s a 9.3/10.

So amazing vehicle, glad I acquired it, and also I have to say, Richmonds /  Martyn from Adelaide were impeccable to deal with. The vehicles are as described and I have no hesitation in recommending them.  

I have no problem with over revs . My recent purchase has one recorded being minor for me it's no issue . Congratulations on the purchase looks great in white .

On 13/12/2019 at 07:32, Rachnath said:

I agree with what you say regarding GT3's in general and good on you for speaking up, it makes the forum a very real resource. 

Having owned and been an active follower of GT3's continually since 2000 there are a few things I have observed that i believe are true in most cases. (only my opinion)

- GT3 owners are Porsche enthusiasts

- Owners will generally take their cars on the track, however some more often than others, most are not super hardcore track rats

- Owners tend to be real drivers and enjoy extending the car wether it be on a track or a Sunday Morning Targa.

- Chasing other cars, track work and sticky rubber equals stone chips.

- GT3's tend not to be daily drivers

- Fear of depreciation from kms tend to be on the for front of owners minds (therefore given the values they are rarely used as a daily and moved on quite quickly in some instances)

- In line with this I believe the Touring versions change hands more often than the Club Sport.

- People tend to be either a Touring buyer or a Club Sport buyer - Potential buyers that consider using the GT3 as a daily usually opt for the touring version

- Being an expensive car to most and being not all that practical people tend have some fun for a while before reality bites and they move them on. ( not uncommon for cars to have a new owner every few years) eg. 10 year old cars will more than likely have had 4- 5 owners.

- Servicing is carried out by official Porsche centres

- Over revs are an issue with any engine, with the GT3 you are able to understand the severity via a report - range 1 are not an issue nor is 2 (look for pattens) 3 is getting serious with 4 being something that you should be concerned about and have the engine well and truly checked prior to considering a purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

For those that may know....  mate has a 997 GT3 and is asking whether a 2018 GT3 indoor cover will fit a 997 GT3?

Presume it will as the 2018 car would no doubt be bigger, but if anyone with any experience on this can reply I'll pass it on.  Thanks..

1 hour ago, James P said:

On WOVR isn’t it? 

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

For those that may know....  mate has a 997 GT3 and is asking whether a 2018 GT3 indoor cover will fit a 997 GT3?

Presume it will as the 2018 car would no doubt be bigger, but if anyone with any experience on this can reply I'll pass it on.  Thanks..

I would think you’d generally be okay, but the profile of the rear wing might be a sticking point since it protrudes quite far back on the 991.2 

they are a very snug fit to the body... Unless he can very it fits from someone else or is getting it silly cheap I’d be on the fence... new one is $500 

13 hours ago, edgy said:

On WOVR isn’t it? 

Yes its on the WOVR..

59 minutes ago, JB said:

Not wanting to be derogatory or bag anyone’s car, but am I missing something here?..

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2007-Porsche-911-GT3-997-Manual-MY07/SSE-AD-6460497

Personally i prefer original cars..

29 minutes ago, James P said:

Yes its on the WOVR..

Personally i prefer original cars..

Thanks James. Yes me also Not my cup of tea. Could be an opportunity for someone to pick up cheap as a project and return to factory spec.   I was just trying to understand the pricing on this one. From what i can see as well it’s a touring with added scaffolding and seats?

3 hours ago, JB said:

Thanks James. Yes me also Not my cup of tea. Could be an opportunity for someone to pick up cheap as a project and return to factory spec.   I was just trying to understand the pricing on this one. From what i can see as well it’s a touring with added scaffolding and seats?

It isn't cheap enough IMO... drop another $20k and its starting to make sense... that is kind of the point where dealers were offering wholesale for good cars in recent times. 

Also, I think it could actually be a CS, the cage looks OEM as do the seats, they are poorly trimmed yes... but if they are OEM CGT seats, you just don't see it done to a non CS (for costs sake), unless of course they are copies, because there is some getting around, the extinguisher is missing but they are not OEM floor matts ether so hard to tell, the fact they're changed could indicate they are wanting to hide the mounting point in the floor

But the VIN # will ultimately tell you everything about it... 

Vin is a conversation  killer along with  that $ 3 .50 Pps from the rego mob ya all know whats going on it explains if it was heavy panel damage  (strucual) Or cosmetic where you can make a choice  about buying   a 300K car for a buck fifty for the same drive I know what I would do but i am busted so it don't   matter

14 minutes ago, tomo said:

Vin is a conversation  killer along with  that $ 3 .50 Ppc from the rego mob ya all know whats going on it explains if it was heavy panel damage  (no good) Or cosmetic where you can make a choice  about buying   a 300K car for a buck fifty for the same drive I know what I would do but i am busted so it don't   matter

This is not a 300K car though and so it’s not a 50% discount. If we are speculating, I feel 30% is about right for a car on “the list” so we’re around 120K (assuming roughly 170 for a fair example), which is in keeping with @edgy’s estimate above. Then at 120K with 10-15K to put it right cosmetically, you’re over and above good 996 money. Tough call.

8 hours ago, spiller said:

This is not a 300K car though and so it’s not a 50% discount. If we are speculating, I feel 30% is about right for a car on “the list” so we’re around 120K (assuming roughly 170 for a fair example), which is in keeping with @edgy’s estimate above. Then at 120K with 10-15K to put it right cosmetically, you’re over and above good 996 money. Tough call.

Fair assment, New Years eve  couple of reds., Have to agree But for a 150 k , 996 is the winner although  I rekon a120 would get it if you were havin a crack so that brings it back to maybe , depends what you are after and a comprehensive damage report would be imperative in your decision  😐

Low 100s and I reckon this would make a good road reg track hack.  Provided the shell is not rooted.  Carsales ad phone button says "unable to retrieve #" and email button draws a blank so no way to contact the seller.  Anyone else tried?

Enlighten me on WOVR - how do you reregister after a write off?

It all seems very odd to me to fit new orange wheels, powder coat the cage orange, retrim in orange, replace belts, lose the extinguisher, fit a hifi and subwoofer and ADD sound proofing.......in a GT3!  Adding Dynamat would suggest interior has all been out of it at some stage which probably means major crash repairs? 

16 minutes ago, DJM said:

It all seems very odd to me to fit new orange wheels, powder coat the cage orange, retrim in orange, replace belts, lose the extinguisher, fit a hifi and subwoofer and ADD sound proofing.......in a GT3!  Adding Dynamat would suggest interior has all been out of it at some stage which probably means major crash repairs? 

Ex track/club competition car I reckon 

On 31/12/2019 at 10:24, James P said:

Yes its on the WOVR..

As a lurker and potential 911 Carrera S owner, I wanted to thank the forum members for this thread and recent posts. I have notifications set up on Carsales and was initially sucked in by the low price for the afore-mentioned GT3. 

Thanks for the valuable information and educated opinions. The search continues...😉

Oh and Happy New Year everyone! 😬

19 hours ago, DJM said:

Low 100s and I reckon this would make a good road reg track hack.  Provided the shell is not rooted.  Carsales ad phone button says "unable to retrieve #" and email button draws a blank so no way to contact the seller.  Anyone else tried?

Enlighten me on WOVR - how do you reregister after a write off?

It varies state to state I think, but in NSW it’s gotta meet certain criteria to be granted an approval for repair and re-register, and that means that it cannot be anything that would compromise the integrity of the structure... usually a lot of these are written off for economic reasons (I know because I’ve been through it) in NSW only the original owner can re-register the car too! So it’s not like you can go to auction and buy a wreck to rebirth it (which is the very reason WOVR exists! 😂)

I think it is pretty safe to say that a lot of WOVR cars are going to be ok provided they’re repaired correctly! 

lots of electronics replaced (Led lights etc) and interior out... that could be a flood damage? Which isn’t an issue for the structure.... But not electrical  friendly 😂

The PPSR will note the affected areas anyway. 

And unfortunately the law doesn’t require private sellers to disclose the WOVR status, only dealers are obliged... at least in NSW! 

@edgy I managed to get in contact.  Seller says it apparently hit a barrier on track in 2007 (previous owner) when it was a month old.  He says he carefully inspected and found no damage to chassis but he has no details.  Appears to have been cosmetic only but still suss on why it had interior out, new lights, retrim etc as you highlighted.

He is happy to submit it to PPI at a PC which is encouraging.

He says it’s a factory Clubsport, factory seats & cage and has the extinguisher but not the original wheels.  Reckons mechanically perfect, no over revs etc.  I asked for VIN number, not provided.....

Notwithstanding all that he is firm on price so it’s not for me.  I was really just looking for a $120k GT3 to track hard 😀

Knowing finicky Porsche buyers who want super original, pristine, full history cars ....or no sale, my guess is it will languish on market for a while yet.  I don’t think the price delta is adequate to cover the patchy history, mods, WOVR etc no matter how “good” he thinks the car is otherwise.  Sad but true.