What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

Got the 07 RS out this morning.  

I'm ashamed.  Looked at the clock and it was still on daylight savings time ... its been that long ...

Pumped up the tyres, fueled up and found the limiter a couple of times - its my way of saying "sorry".

Then put on some tyre shine as it was all a bit grey and dry from the last track day.

Taking it for a fang over the weekend.

Had a go at lining up the bumper with the signal box bezel. It's even level! The bezels need more work before I can attach them to the body, but it's getting there. Have to work out the easiest way to fit the bumper, and make some brackets. Wish I could weld that's for sure! 

Not overly keen on the RS style bumper either, so I'll have to see what's available in the near future 

20170926_230457.jpg

Had a go at lining up the bumper with the signal box bezel. It's even level! The bezels need more work before I can attach them to the body, but it's getting there. Have to work out the easiest way to fit the bumper, and make some brackets. Wish I could weld that's for sure! 

Not overly keen on the RS style bumper either, so I'll have to see what's available in the near future 

Those 20170926_230457.jpg

Those gaps under the headlights will soon be filled!

I took my 997 Turbo for a spirited run down the Mornington Peninsula as I get to know the car.  Loving it.  Got home and vave the car a wash and polish.  Not as much fun but rewarding to see the sparkle of a freshly waxed Porsche. 

If you are running stock exhaust,  perhaps you could take your spirited runs to  go up to another level with one of these (refer to link),  particularly if you have a mezger.  If you do that as a bit of a tinker, highly recommend you take a detour and go the long way to the Mornington Peninsula and take the Rutherford road exit to get onto the old Frankston freeway and give the Peninsula link bypassing Frankston a miss.   Need to ideally get as clear as you can after the left turn off the freeway (from Patterson lakes ) for Rutherford Rd on the sweeper but stay right and try and get a decent gap if a bit of traffic exists(I'm a night owl so don't contend with too much traffic).  Do wind the  window down a bit after taking that left turn , then ideally drop your speed so your in second (manual I trust)  just before you go under the Peninsula freeway  so you can do a decent pull at WOT in second and third whilst giving your digital boost gauge a workout.  Best spot to get a boost hit that I'm aware off south of the city to get to know the car .  Eg Getting that shove in the seat whilst having the non stock engine note bouncing off the walls and underside of the bridge with the window down is up there on the smile on your dial stakes.   Plus as a boost junky, if heading on route to Flinders after that,  give me 6 roundabouts (frankston flinders, old coolstores ( eromosa rd west) , Wooralla drive, bungower, mornington tyabb rd , bentons) over a boring freeway section for a bit of 2nd gear / 3rd gear boost action as an entrée to some twisties if your into a bit of a spirited run any night of the day. 

PS Just a view, but night run on your lonesome on a cold but still night heading into Flinders and out of Flinders is better than a day time spirited run to get to know  a boosted car.  Intercoolers seem to lap up the cooler air, keeping the IAT's down and a tad more noticeable to that little hoon bastard inside when your on / off boost.

http://www.kline-innovation.com/exhaust-collection/porsche/997-3/997-turbo

If you are running stock exhaust,  perhaps you could take your spirited runs to  go up to another level with one of these (refer to link),  particularly if you have a mezger.  If you do that as a bit of a tinker, highly recommend you take a detour and go the long way to the Mornington Peninsula and take the Rutherford road exit to get onto the old Frankston freeway and give the Peninsula link bypassing Frankston a miss.   Need to ideally get as clear as you can after the left turn off the freeway (from Patterson lakes ) for Rutherford Rd on the sweeper but stay right and try and get a decent gap if a bit of traffic exists(I'm a night owl so don't contend with too much traffic).  Do wind the  window down a bit after taking that left turn , then ideally drop your speed so your in second (manual I trust)  just before you go under the Peninsula freeway  so you can do a decent pull at WOT in second and third whilst giving your digital boost gauge a workout.  Best spot to get a boost hit that I'm aware off south of the city to get to know the car .  Eg Getting that shove in the seat whilst having the non stock engine note bouncing off the walls and underside of the bridge with the window down is up there on the smile on your dial stakes.   Plus as a boost junky, if heading on route to Flinders after that,  give me 6 roundabouts (frankston flinders, old coolstores ( eromosa rd west) , Wooralla drive, bungower, mornington tyabb rd , bentons) over a boring freeway section for a bit of 2nd gear / 3rd gear boost action as an entrée to some twisties if your into a bit of a spirited run any night of the day. 

PS Just a view, but night run on your lonesome on a cold but still night heading into Flinders and out of Flinders is better than a day time spirited run to get to know  a boosted car.  Intercoolers seem to lap up the cooler air, keeping the IAT's down and a tad more noticeable to that little hoon bastard inside when your on / off boost.

I can confirm that an early morning run down the Boneo Rd from Flinders is a great way to warm the Cup 2's ... as I did today. 

Bliss 

Also found out something new about the RS. It has a shift light ... love those Krauts 

Just returned home from Porsche Club track day at Morgan Park QLD. Only second time there in current car 993 RSR clone. Massive oversteer on first outing, after some torsion adjustment car is behaving much better. Took 3 seaconds off on long track - down to 1.25's and two seconds of intermediate track down to 1.08.  So we are getting there.

Had a blast, but pretty buggered now, towed car there raced all day and drove home.

Rum o clock now 

Took one of the family friend's kid for a drive today.  He had the biggest smile ever and all he's told anyone since is "I went for a drive in a Porsche today".  Glad to have made his day (been a tough year him).

Then treated myself to a run into PCB, long hard look at the (sadly) not for sale 911R and bought a new key ring.  Late this evening the Boxster got a foam bath too.

fmuQZQk.jpg 

I think Trev McRev can tell you a horror story from around that Rutherford Road and Seaford Factory area.

All good, I  am intimately familiar with the area and had been previously briefed on Trev's horror story.  Note I have been using Brunel Rd for quite some time and continue to do so and dodged a few bullets myself. eg Have lost the rear end on more that one ocassion at the other end of the road near the oval (eg slippery when wet) and seen plenty of handheld radar guns pointed at me at different times of the day over the years as well as it being a source for a few punctures over the years  (two wheel and four wheel kind).  Back in the day,  Brunel road was at the bottom of my street and was a dead end near a Roberts bottle recycle factory (now a Limestone yard currently halfway down that straight stretch in the factory area when your probably at v max if your on it heading away from Frankston)  and I used to walk  / ride  there  on a 3 speed Raleigh chopper with crushed cans and bottles (2 and 5 cents refund labelled ones ) in toe for some pocket money that was gone in 60 seconds at the local corner milkbar to fund the scanlan's footy card addiction.  On the way I also used to think how immaculately clean and shiny , Cootes's transport (white and green trademark) kept its SINGLE  rig/ tanker on its corner plot  and how we used to annoy the crap out of Ian Cootes asking for his sort after stickers as kids.  Years later, at the same spot as you changing into second and looking out the window, it was how big are some of those dudes / gals coming out of Tarzan and Jane.

I can confirm that an early morning run down the Boneo Rd from Flinders is a great way to warm the Cup 2's ... as I did today. 

Bliss 

Also found out something new about the RS. It has a shift light ... love those Krauts 

I am indeed missing the novelty of a shift light on my 996 tt. In a car I recently offloaded, I brought a bit of magic kit designed and built from an audi boost junky that was cobbled together in his study that gave you key logging ecu data in your DIS, gave me a digital speedo , recorded vmax, fat times etc on the factory DIS and had a led shift light (series of 5 red leds) that you could hook up and set at whatever rpm you want and lit the cabin up like a Christmas tree at night.  A mere $400 usd. 

In terms of love those krauts, how good is the strategic positioning of the factory boost gauge on a 996 tt.(assuming other turbo' are similar,)  That said, reckon a digital needle moving across 0 to 30 psi or 0 to 1.5 bar more like an analogue boost  gauge would of been icing on the cake. 

PS Was your shift light set at 8800 plus rpm and that's why you only discovered it this morning in a dark cabin after getting the cup2's warmed up

Edited by smit2100

I am indeed missing the novelty of a shift light on my 996 tt. In a car I recently offloaded, I brought a bit of magic kit designed and built from an audi boost junky that was cobbled together in his study that gave you key logging ecu data in your DIS, gave me a digital speedo , recorded vmax, fat times etc on the factory DIS and had a led shift light (series of 5 red leds) that you could hook up and set at whatever rpm you want and lit the cabin up like a Christmas tree at night.  A mere $400 usd. 

In terms of love those krauts, how good is the strategic positioning of the factory boost gauge on a 996 tt.(assuming other turbo' are similar,)  That said, reckon a digital needle moving across 0 to 30 psi or 0 to 1.5 bar more like an analogue boost  gauge would of been icing on the cake. 

PS Was your shift light set at 8800 plus rpm and that's why you only discovered it this morning in a dark cabin after getting the cup2's warmed up

The light is actually a small triangle light in the dash cluster ... I was looking at the tacho to see when the engine cut came in when I noticed it so in order to confirm my “discovery” I replicated it several more times. All in the interests of scientific validation ...

It seems the light is set to 8000 given the cut happens at 8200.

• 2 weeks later...
A bit beyond my limited abilities, but had thus bling fitted to the Carrera 3.o.  SSI's and Dansk Sport muffler.

Hey D-banger, any chance you can share what the part number is of the Dansk muffler? It is usually just below the Dansk insignia on the muffler. Does your muffler have the 80mm outlet pipe?

I am looking at a couple of mufflers online, so I'm looking for some confirmation as to fitment. TIA.

Hey D-banger, any chance you can share what the part number is of the Dansk muffler? It is usually just below the Dansk insignia on the muffler. Does your muffler have the 80mm outlet pipe?

I am looking at a couple of mufflers online, so I'm looking for some confirmation as to fitment. TIA.

hi @81SC,

this is the Dansk sport muffler, 2 in 1 out, with 70mm outlet.

see here for details,

http://www.design911.com/Porsche-911-Rear-Box-Dansk-92511--91111102501/prod1727/