What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

6 minutes ago, LeeM said:

I've been pretty slack with the maintenance on my car

Explains the lost nut then....😁

Need some pics of all your work.. or as they say - 'It didn't happen' 

I feel for you in regards to the lost enthusiasm comment. One of the reasons I sold an old classic of mine years ago.

While it was fun to drive around, the ongoing rectification made it a bit less fun due to the time and running around required to complete that work.

These days I'm too lazy, so I like the ability of just being able to hop in the car, turn the key and just go and enjoy the drive rather than spending 80% of my time working on the damn thing.. 😁

42 minutes ago, Costas said:

I feel for you in regards to the lost enthusiasm comment. One of the reasons I sold an old classic of mine years ago.

While it was fun to drive around, the ongoing rectification made it a bit less fun due to the time and running around required to complete that work.

These days I'm too lazy, so I like the ability of just being able to hop in the car, turn the key and just go and enjoy the drive rather than spending 80% of my time working on the damn thing.. 😁

That was basically the reason I wanted a 996, to just jump in a drive it and have some air cond etc, though a few factors have changed my mind lately.

I too have become lazy, as my job in the building game is pretty physically demanding at 55, so not much happens over the weekends I can assure you that! Need a 4 day weekend to recover from work, and find a bit more motivation 😁 

Not so much what I did but ...

I welcomed back the 3.8 2004 RSR motor post rebuild by Michael Garner.  Dialled in for torque not peak power (which will still be “adequate” mind you ...) 

Its being reunited with the car in the next couple of days

New air jacks are in, new dampers and springs also.  FIA compliant fuel cell will be here shortly and then we’re off to the Island hopefully mid April for a shake down

Pic of the engine ...

3C22842B-F7DC-4216-9CBD-DD587FA018AE.jpeg

1 hour ago, Skidmarks said:

Not so much what I did but ...

I welcomed back the 3.8 2004 RSR motor post rebuild by Michael Garner.  Dialled in for torque not peak power (which will still be “adequate” mind you ...) 

Its being reunited with the car in the next couple of days

New air jacks are in, new dampers and springs also.  FIA compliant fuel cell will be here shortly and then we’re off to the Island hopefully mid April for a shake down

Pic of the engine ...

3C22842B-F7DC-4216-9CBD-DD587FA018AE.jpeg

Must be time for another C&C lap of Winton.......in an RSR.  At least I’ll have a car to this time.

Today I pretty much got to drive it for the first time in weeks.  After I got back from Luftwasser the wheels came off to get repaired by Finn at Virgin Wheel Repairs.  That left me time to take other stuff off and clean and service etc.

It was carrying a lot of caked up mud and dirt from the UK.  It was a quarantine nightmare, except for the fact the number of chemicals I used that likely killed anything over from pommy land aside from the air of superiority.

image.png.6a461ab55994f63268bcb4f2a9a769d3.png

Then the mufflers came off to contemplate the acoustic refinements that might be had.  That was a one way street until I got new clamps and harnesses etc due to corrosion.

image.png.a6ffdcba6c71a70387572f3db889ea39.png

Some bolts were snapped, some words were said... water under the bridge now.

image.png.78c7088a6a6a03d080f45eb5baef152b.pngimage.png.02b6bc91eae7343b8398da6fa93f0c0f.png

After being unable to find used harnesses that were not in a similar condition on the open market, and overall being unimpressed with the price and materials of Porsche Genuine fasteners... I invested in some stainless steel bolts, made to spec in UK.  They even came with a certificate of authenticity and a ugga dugga specification.

While I was in amongst the wheel arches I took the opportunity to liberate the old spark plugs and retire them.

image.png.efe99ecf69774a3128cbbde87f48b8c2.png

I peeked at the engine's private parts while I was there... so risque!

image.png.19a7fd945b48b22ea987e67714d2f9b3.png

The wonky needle on the oil pressure gauge had previously indicated the sensor had ventured past it's best years.

image.png.31d6d57c53c1ada657af87d94d72a04e.png

I used a carefully calibrated crows foot I had seen suggested and torqued it up.

image.png.320df176a0a1fa33f755f29eb4fb1d13.pngimage.png.7f326cea4c5f126e508a37416785138e.png

Everything got washed, some things got media blasted.  Some things even got sanded and polished.

image.png.4286428c4735cb3f8413301cb6d2bf0f.png

image.png.f7af061c574917f08b3d121e53a1ccb1.png

image.thumb.png.7d6fbc2069ce24857269c9dc53585ed6.png

Lady luck was not on my side and a clamp bolt that was torqued to spec snapped... the supplier must have been a few furnaces short of a steel mill.  That was Sunday's car's and coffee nixed.

image.png.4efab54cd318de74dfa0afcec6f9bfd9.png

The big green shed had something that sufficed.  And after a shake down I am back on the road with new wheels, and nicer exhaust note and some less worry about things rusting away underneath.  I even replaced a belly pan that went AWOL some time prior to my ownership.

image.png.f0dcb3a3546bf40b4184f2794eb64e0e.pngimage.png.c5ce0e71ce9430071ee4871ef311ef16.png

image.png.9e04c628e1993a84d09dc3ea44572e16.png

After finding a hose and a bucket... I will hopefully have some photos for the "Where did you take your Porsche today?" megathread.

On 04/03/2021 at 12:59, BRU said:

Installed Fister II’s on my 993 C2. My ears are happy 🎶 

Hi FUCHer,

I also have a C2 993 with the engine out at present (to address the timing chain cover oil leaks). A good opportunity to install a new exhaust and I was thinking of a Fister II as well. Did you order it from the States? If so, did you return the original exhaust?  I'm a bit reluctant ordering / sending items across the world with the present circumstances.

I was wondering whether there is an outfit in Australia that deals with Fister, but I couldn't find anything on it.

Cheers, Laurens

3 minutes ago, Laurens said:

Hi FUCHer,

I also have a C2 993 with the engine out at present (to address the timing chain cover oil leaks). A good opportunity to install a new exhaust and I was thinking of a Fister II as well. Did you order it from the States? If so, did you return the original exhaust?  I'm a bit reluctant ordering / sending items across the world with the present circumstances.

I was wondering whether there is an outfit in Australia that deals with Fister, but I couldn't find anything on it.

Cheers, Laurens

Hey Laurens

I got it from the states, no one locally that deals Fister products afaik, though you could get a local exhaust shop to have a go at replicating the Fister mod if you’re game..

I did the core return option, it’s the only option unless you want to pay for them to modify a brand new set and send those to you (1300USD PLUS the cost of modification and shipping - no thanks!). 

I had absolutely no issues with shipping either direction. They arrived within a week of posting on the way here, and I sent mine back to them last Thursday via Pack and Send (onto DHL) for ~$350 (cheapest I could find) and they arrived today. 

Not the cheapest option, but a good product and easy experience. 

DM if you need any help 👍🏼 

38 minutes ago, BRU said:

Hey Laurens

I got it from the states, no one locally that deals Fister products afaik, though you could get a local exhaust shop to have a go at replicating the Fister mod if you’re game..

I did the core return option, it’s the only option unless you want to pay for them to modify a brand new set and send those to you (1300USD PLUS the cost of modification and shipping - no thanks!). 

I had absolutely no issues with shipping either direction. They arrived within a week of posting on the way here, and I sent mine back to them last Thursday via Pack and Send (onto DHL) for ~$350 (cheapest I could find) and they arrived today. 

Not the cheapest option, but a good product and easy experience. 

DM if you need any help 👍🏼 

Thanks for the quick response and tips mate. Much appreciated. Yes, only read positive feedback about this system. I think I'll give it a go ........ :CoolDance:

12 hours ago, LeeM said:

The mind boggles as to how the one applying the decal thought that was acceptable 🙄

Sooo disappointing, as have wanted one of these for the longest time, and would have proudly displayed the brand, as I think its such a great product. Fitment and quality is as good as it gets, so it's a real let down they didn't care enough to represent their brand properly and dropped the quality control on something so simple as putting a sticker on straight

On 01/01/2021 at 15:03, smit2100 said:

Well Murphy's law has struck.   Had an issue with  the right rear  brake pads ( rear gt3 pads ex 4 porsche dealers was circa 2-3 weeks ex germany and price ranged from 675 to 895.  Mechanic landed some textars delivered to his garage in three hours for less than a third of the cheapest quote from the dealers., but  I  missed my slot at the wheel aligners  just before Chrissy after the Ohlins sat in a box for a couple of years.   However perhaps missing the slot was a good thing as the next day   in my mechanics junk box  was an email that Ohlins are doing a  world wide  recall  on their coilovers for 996 /997 ( certain model batch). I have lucked out and have the dodgy struts and mount components.  Now waste of time doing any geometry work to dial in the alignment.  If I had got the slot just before Chrissy, would not have driven the car anyway  and pissed away the cost of the geoemetry work as the front shocks need to be be ripped out and replaced with ohlins supplied replacements.  However  parts  are at least 4 weeks off ex Uk  ( need to come via original supplier) and who knows deliveries under covid. 

I have asked the question on consequentials   and be interesting to  see what if any contribution ohlins make to the consequentials ( I'm thinking Tata airbag style on my m3 as a baseline)  eg labour to rip out the existing ones and replace, labour to   box up the defective ones that's seen 20m of travel on them and sending  them back to Ohlins   and  what about the required  front  wheel re alignment costs.    

As I am on a yellow binge, could be an opportunity to attach a couple of smaller boxes to the replacement shocks.  Eg genuine  yellow 997 front seat belts or is that going further erode the resale value.  Too much of a bitsa with the yellow parts.

Car holed up for a couple of months waiting for 996 ohlins coilover  worldwide recall replacement front  struts and top mount kit.   Fair bit of geometey work done yesterday and today and the 4x4 look is now gone.

Any 996 owners on here  and with ohlins  coilovers?   Ohlins lawyers are on the hunt for 2 x 996 ( turbo or c4s or gt3?)   aus owners who had ohlins  coilover kits installed  so they can sort out the front struts based on the recall.   

Note Ohlins came to the party and supplied me with their  replacement solution parts ( struts and topmounts),  paid for ripping the original  struts out  ( had a whole 15km of  wear  on them eg out of new box,   installed at one  workshop and straight to  Jocaro in Braeside), swapping  out top mounts and and full wheel alignment / geometry work.  Ohlins  paid the invoice for that work  within 5 minutes of receiving it. They also required  the faulty struts to be returned , but they arranged for them to be  couried  from jocaro to brisbane.  Havent seen the car in the flesh for a while and looking forward to detailing it when i get to see it.  But it doesnt look too shabby for a 18 year old car. But may have devalued it with with gt2/ gt3 brake upgrade and nearly a full suspension refresh with borrowed gt3 parts to complement the olhlins coilovers.  Looking forward to devaluing it further with a further 20% boost increase next on the agenda. Anyone logged these cars  ( already tweaked) doing a third gear pull at 2500 rpm at wot and backing off  at 6500. 

20210408_162555.jpg

10 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

Car holed up for a couple of months waiting for 996 ohlins coilover  worldwide recall replacement front  struts and top mount kit.   Fair bit of geometey work done yesterday and today and the 4x4 look is now gone.

Any 996 owners on here  and with ohlins  coilovers?   Ohlins lawyers are on the hunt for 2 x 996 ( turbo or c4s or gt3?)   aus owners who had ohlins  coilover kits installed  so they can sort out the front struts based on the recall.   

Note Ohlins came to the party and supplied me with their  replacement solution parts ( struts and topmounts),  paid for ripping the original  struts out  ( had a whole 15km of  wear  on them eg out of new box,   installed at one  workshop and straight to  Jocaro in Braeside), swapping  out top mounts and and full wheel alignment / geometry work.  Ohlins  paid the invoice for that work  within 5 minutes of receiving it. They also required  the faulty struts to be returned , but they arranged for them to be  couried  from jocaro to brisbane.  

I'm an Ohlin's customer, wasn't aware of this though - who should I contact? 

14 minutes ago, hugh said:

I'm an Ohlin's customer, wasn't aware of this though - who should I contact? 

Just check on the 996 models.  Its only certain kits with a specific strut part number( definetely the 996 turbo / c4s, i know 997 gt2 kit for sure as well).   996 gt3 may be ok.  Check the ohlins website and recall notice details  My worshop got a  email on the recall.   Eg I  arranged for my workshop to purchase my coilover kit from design911 in the uk who forwarded on the recall notice from Ohlins

• 2 weeks later...