This ‘papers please’ BS is out of control- the clipboard and high vis culture of Australia is out of control.  All stay-home should be advisory and have zero legal authority.  Most people will do the right thing when asked.  It’s not worth empowering jackboot culture for the small amount of people being stupid.   Will all the laws and powers be removed when it’s over?  Theyll try and keep ones on the books preventing public assembly.  You’re in a mess when you have doctors influencing freedom of movement to eliminate risk.   Sorry doctors but risk is part of life.   Give them an inch and motorbikes and Motorsport would be banned forever, as would tobacco and alcohol.

Well (insert a certain country) gave us the virus, so we may as well become a communist country to align ourselves with their way of life having so many over here. Bet the politicians and 'some' cops are loving throwing their weight around thinking they're the almighty

7 hours ago, Coastr said:

You’re in a mess when you have doctors influencing freedom of movement to eliminate risk.   Sorry doctors but risk is part of life.   

What rubbish. I can't believe what I'm reading - this pandemic is the most serious this planet has seen since 1919.

I really, really hope that no one near and dear to anyone gets compromised by this virus - but I suspect you may think differently if that does happen to you.

I also cannot believe what I read sometimes.  I see people posting things like abortion kills more in a year and so does the flu and car accidents.  The problem is that there is no cure, built in resistance or preventative medicines available for Covid19 at this time so left unmanaged most of the worlds population would become contagious.  They say that 1 - 2% would become critical and require ventilators to stay alive.  We do not have that many ventilators so more than half on the critical list would die.  Think about that number.  Let's be conservative with our estimates and say 0.5% of the worlds population would die.  That is around 4.5 million people.  130,000 - 150000 in Australia alone.  More than 10000 a month or 400 a day.  Just in Australia.  Pretty scary.  And 0.5% in a conservative estimate so 1% is double this number.  Stay isolated and let's beat this thing.  

9 hours ago, Coastr said:

This ‘papers please’ BS is out of control- the clipboard and high vis culture of Australia is out of control.  All stay-home should be advisory and have zero legal authority.  Most people will do the right thing when asked.  It’s not worth empowering jackboot culture for the small amount of people being stupid.   Will all the laws and powers be removed when it’s over?  Theyll try and keep ones on the books preventing public assembly.  You’re in a mess when you have doctors influencing freedom of movement to eliminate risk.   Sorry doctors but risk is part of life.   Give them an inch and motorbikes and Motorsport would be banned forever, as would tobacco and alcohol.

Did you see Bondi and other beaches full of people doing the right thing and self isolating ? Self policing only works with a small percentage of any population 

There could be people out there that have it and show no symptoms, but without symptoms they won’t test you unless

you have been overseas

you have been in contact with someone that has CV-19 

Go to first line ....

I'm fortunate to be working outdoors atm so I can't really relate to the issues faced by those stuck at home.

It'd be doing my head in for sure.

We saw lots of qlders yesterday sneaking around the country roads. Not today. The police cast a net at UKI yesterday with 5 hway patrols. Locals got caught up in that.

I'm extremely careful with the cleanliness and separation so i don't go down or infect someone. 

A mate has little kids and mentioned yesterday how frightening it would be if they got it since they'd be alone in care.

I don't like the level of control the government has atm and the implications of that later. We'll see what it becomes. 

10 hours ago, Coastr said:

What a crock of shit.  Risk is a part of life but the level of risk we are facing is catastrophic and so govt must act to mitigate that risk or have blood on their hands (like Trump)

police absolutely need to fine and jail people who BREAK THE LAW if that’s what it takes to get through some selfish thick skulls that we’re all in this together

self management has worked pretty well (they say 90% compliance) but there are always those that think they know better who need to be forced to behave to save “lives and livelihoods”.  If you don’t want a fine or jail, simply do what you are told.  I don’t get the resistance to that concept.  and for the most part they appear to be getting the balance right. 

What I got out of Coastr's post was not so much about we should say "f@#k the law, I'll do what I want" but more about what happens after the crisis is over.

Will the current needed restrictions be completely removed or will the government, whether state or federal use the the restrictions to keep the population compliant to whatever agenda they may have up their sleeve in the future.

I for one think that won't happen and the restrictions within Australia will be removed but it is a valid question that needs to be asked and deserves an answer.

That's what I got from his post.

1 hour ago, 3legs said:

Will the current needed restrictions be completely removed or will the government, whether state or federal use the restrictions to keep the population compliant to whatever agenda they may have up their sleeve in the future.

Australians would be the last race on earth to comply with any extension of the current governing laws or restrictions. Whatever politician or political party enacted or suggested a continuation of these laws would be committing political suicide.

I've lived on 3 continents and worked in numerous different countries around the world, but nowhere have I seen a nation more attached to freedom of movement and free speech as Australia.

Its just that at times like this we have to take a step back, put our heads down and get on with the tasks at hand. We've done it before during the Great Depression, at Gallipoli, in North Africa and Singapore, its just the enemy this time really doesn't take any prisoners.  Could you imagine the old Anzac Diggers accepting the current restrictions being extended after the panic is over - like bloody hell they would, God bless 'em….

3 hours ago, 3legs said:

What I got out of Coastr's post was not so much about we should say "f@#k the law, I'll do what I want" but more about what happens after the crisis is over.

Will the current needed restrictions be completely removed or will the government, whether state or federal use the the restrictions to keep the population compliant to whatever agenda they may have up their sleeve in the future.

I for one think that won't happen and the restrictions within Australia will be removed but it is a valid question that needs to be asked and deserves an answer.

Seriously?  Well how about we wait and see rather than assume a police state on the other side of this.  I Have faith that they are doing a good job and I don’t believe in conspiracies.  And if we don’t like what we end up with, vote them out.  

2 hours ago, 3legs said:

Yeah this is about right. It's also about what I see as glee from some people about the power the situation gives them.  I'm on board with the 'we're in this together' attitude but apply it with the heavy burden that it sucks for everyone.  

It's less about the virus (that's the trigger) and more about this crap just creeping in everywhere, constantly, this ever present culture of 'you can't be trusted'.  No more than two light beers for you at the cricket, you can't be trusted.  Don't lift your truck by 2 inches, you can't be trusted.  It's a ratchet that just keeps clicking and I don't like it. It's always someone clutching their pearls as though every bit of risk can be regulated away.  I also don't like that the application of this stuff always goes to the soft targets, and the ones that really do say 'f the laws' seem to get put in the too hard basket.  And every crisis that pops up ends up being used by people to further their own agenda.

It is the vent thread, right?  I have been stuck inside for a month so maybe I'm going nuts.

Couldn't agree more Mr Tinker, thats why I said I doubt that will happen and I wont accept any continuing restrictions should they occur after the current crisis is over and I would be the first to arc up about.

DJM yes I am serious.

No i'm not a conspiracy theorist but listening to people on various other forums ( vehicle related not conspiracy related ) the question is valid. 

There are people out there that are concerned with what will happen after the crisis is over. No use putting your head in the sand. That is exactly what the government wants IF and I say again IF they had an agenda that we are not aware of ( I don't think there is any agenda ).

As I have said I for one don't think the current needed, note I said needed, restrictions will be carried on after the crisis is over. 

You are right also about voting them out and I have great faith in the Australian people that they will NOT accept current restrictions beyond this crisis and I'm pretty sure the pollies are aware of that but people are still concerned therefore again is is a valid question.

Just because people have concerns doesn't make them wrong.

42 minutes ago, DJM said:

You need to go Bush mate 😂

Better leave now. 😂

47 minutes ago, Coastr said:

Yeah this is about right. It's also about what I see as glee from some people about the power the situation gives them.  I'm on board with the 'we're in this together' attitude but apply it with the heavy burden that it sucks for everyone.  

It's less about the virus (that's the trigger) and more about this crap just creeping in everywhere, constantly, this ever present culture of 'you can't be trusted'.  No more than two light beers for you at the cricket, you can't be trusted.  Don't lift your truck by 2 inches, you can't be trusted.  It's a ratchet that just keeps clicking and I don't like it. It's always someone clutching their pearls as though every bit of risk can be regulated away.  I also don't like that the application of this stuff always goes to the soft targets, and the ones that really do say 'f the laws' seem to get put in the too hard basket.  And every crisis that pops up ends up being used by people to further their own agenda.

It is the vent thread, right?  I have been stuck inside for a month so maybe I'm going nuts.

Yeah a month, holy shit.

I’m not a huge social guy so my life ain’t that much different other than using my home PC and not going into the office.  I’ve got my wife and kids around like normal.  Sure I can’t see my 90y/o Mum for now but we still talk often and I deliver stuff to her door.

I’m enjoying the work from home, mixing in walking the dog, a bit of PT, lunch with the fam etc.  I miss the banter of the office.  I miss eating out and the occasional beer with a mate.  But gee, it’s not the end of the world.  People complain when they work too much, now they complain they’re home too much.

Maybe it’s my upbringing but I just take what is thrown at me and deal with it.  Can’t be fucked with all the complaining.  It’s not that big a sacrifice if it means thousands of people avoid death.  Hopefully my Mum survives this, the rest I couldn’t give a shit about.......