7 hours ago, hugh said:

Some people will never understand how privileged they are to have a home that boasts clean running water, a toilet connected to sewerage and electricity. Plenty of other "First World" societies that don't have access to such basic necessities. 

People struggling in Australia don't know what real poverty is. They maybe more appreciative of their environment if they did though. Not at all saying people don't have it tough, but its a different level of struggle compared to other parts of the world. 

Totally agree Hugh. If only we could get some toilet paper. 🙄

46 minutes ago, 3legs said:

Geez Lee I don't know whether to laugh or cry😂😢

Depends which part of my post you're referring to mate 😁

I'm not easily shocked, but I was today 😅

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

House 4. Pretty mid 20's girl living in a shithole and off her guts on something, and I'm there to fix some wall damage. "Dunno how that happened mate" Looks like a fist sized hole to me. "Yeah maybe it was my ex". Do you want a hand job for $20? I'm broke" 😳 I'll have to pass on that mate, but thanks anyway.

Whats the address of house 4?!!

Just trying to help out a girl in need😊

(Its only a joke, delete if offensive)

On 02/04/2020 at 20:31, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

Mate I grew up in an area that had all that stuff going on (I was in a relatively normal house with parents that worked, mortgage etc so we were considered rich...which is what you think until you hit your teens & see where you really are in the pecking order) and I totally understand that picture (Edit - was lucky enough to get sent to a good school & had a normal family life so had plenty of opportunities to study, move on in life etc).  I also spent about 6 years as a firefighter in a similar area & some of the houses & self inflicted living conditions are just amazing.  Undoubtedly some of these people do not deserve what they have - yet plenty of others really do need that help and get out of the hole.  For the truly hopeless in society I see it purely as compassion and (in a more heartless manner) insurance.  If they're given enough to get by then they won't cause too much chaos elsewhere.  As far as the double amounts go....some don't deserve the single amount but I'm hopeful that there will be some kids out there that benefit from that bit of extra money (and how anyone survives on the normal rate is beyond me).  A mate of mine used to get flown out to settlements to do exactly the sort of work you are doing and he had lots of similar stories to tell - it is sad & a waste but I don't know what the answer is.  The worst part is the poor kids that get born into that....won the lottery by being born in this country and then missed it by 'that much'.  There was a doco a few years back about kids growing up in Claymore & one of the tenish year olds said they spent an hour every day on the way home from school looking for four leaf clovers because it was the only way they could imagine getting out of that area and having nice clothes & a car like their teacher.  Still in primary school but recognising already the shit spot they are in.  When asked by the interviewer what the hardest part was they said watching dad hit mum.  Poor buggers deserve better than that.  I just wish that for every idiot out there jamming that extra money up their whatever that there is another family that can finally buy some good clothes & food for their kids.  

I grew in an area like this as well, this is generational stuff happening, it will go on forever unfortunately.

Sometimes people just don't know how to get out of it.

It can be a generational thing.

Although.

I was sitting in a busy cafe a few years ago near a 20 something girl on her laptop. Got talking, she was studying for nursing. I asked her how she got interested in it. Was mum or dad in the industry I asked? No, mum is a drunk and dad a heroin addict. 😲

She was getting out. 👍

I grew up povo too. Dad was too unwell to work by the time i was 12ish. He'd suffered in Singapore pow camp.

He and mum knew nothing about finance except how to grow food for 9 of us. 

I learned the little I know from good men that were willing to share their insights. 

I recently helped a 19 yr old work colleague learn how to do a basic budget.

I've long said that our school system could teach real world finance strategies.

Even if it was to help people that have no clue because their parents have no clue how to deal with the traps that are set to bury them in debt.

Agree mate you cannot tar everyone with the same brush.

I was there once and had a dad who liked to punch mum and carry on like you wouldn't believe,  i didn't do well at school because of it but i am in a happy place now with a great family and a good job and i even managed to own a Porsche, who'd have thought that. It's got a lot to do with people who can influence you to see there is another way.

12 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

It's got a lot to do with people who can influence you to see there is another way.

Yet its mainly ones self drive to better themselves and/or their situation. Salvation starts from within. From what I see, these people need to distance themselves from the very like minded dropkicks they call friends, as that's adding just fuel to the fire.

Even though I had parents who struggled every day to put food on the table, I had a good childhood in a loving home, yet I was heading to where the dropkicks are now when I was 16 (54 now), yet something happened and it turned me 180°. I know a lot of my old 'mates' are still the same people, doing the same shit with smoking weed and wearing their own track in the carpet at the local pub every Thursday and Friday night.

Seeing people my age on the dole and living how they do makes me angry, not sad...at all. They just don't have the motivation to get off their arse and do something about it when they're being supported by you, me and everyone else who pays for their rent, food and drugs. Now they have even more incentive to waste their new found 'wealth', and guess who will be paying for that when this is all over? 

11 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Yet its mainly ones self drive to better themselves and/or their situation. Salvation starts from within. From what I see, these people need to distance themselves from the very like minded dropkicks they call friends, as that's adding just fuel to the fire.

Even though I had parents who struggled every day to put food on the table, I had a good childhood in a loving home, yet I was heading to where the dropkicks are now when I was 16 (54 now), yet something happened and it turned me 180°. I know a lot of my old 'mates' are still the same people, doing the same shit with smoking weed and wearing their own track in the carpet at the local pub every Thursday and Friday night.

Seeing people my age on the dole and living how they do makes me angry, not sad...at all. They just don't have the motivation to get off their arse and do something about it when they're being supported by you, me and everyone else who pays for their rent, food and drugs. Now they have even more incentive to waste their new found 'wealth', and guess who will be paying for that when this is all over? 

I was in it up to my neck for a while Lee, how i ever held my apprenticeship is beyond me but i am glad i did.I turned the corner and bought a house when i was 19 and i haven't looked back since.

yes, get off your butt and get stuck in.

A little encouragement helps too.

I remember a high school teacher telling me in year 12 I'd never be any good as a Naval Architect (my dream job) because my maths wasnt strong enough.

Maybe  it was tough love at the time, but it has an impact and was devastating. Dismayed, I got a job as a technician, which paid about $257 per week, built a house and had a mortgage by 21. FAst forward a few years and I did mechanical engineering by off campus and took work holidays to study and sit exams. At one exam the same teacher was sitting it also, so he'd become an equal and I was proud to prove I'd done something.

Im fortunate enough to have a good family, a wife I dont deserve sometimes, and no debit.

My kids know that you get it from rolling your sleeves up though.

I dont think it was just our generation, todays kids have their own challenges

1 hour ago, Raven said:

this is a little bit tough ,,police need to show a little kindness in regards to things like this or the public will quickly turn against them :wacko:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/learner-driver-cops-massive-fine-for-breaching-coronavirus-rules-051633941.html

Yep... My son needs more hours and I've resisted taking him out because of the potential of this happening. I really don't get it as you are in the car with a family member with no intention of getting out or going anywhere but a round trip home. 

The government has taken an unacceptable militant approach which can potentially lead to revolt. 

8 minutes ago, T-Man said:

The government has taken an unacceptable militant approach which can potentially lead to revolt. 

Are you serious  ??  The rules may be slightly ambiguous but revolt ??

I'll bet mother has not even read the rules and regulations that is splashed all over the social media platform before deciding to take her daughter for a drive.

9 minutes ago, T-Man said:

Yep... My son needs more hours and I've resisted taking him out because of the potential of this happening. I really don't get it as you are in the car with a family member with no intention of getting out or going anywhere but a round trip home. 

I agree I think this is to far and no different to my self and a work mate in the ute at same time  ,,,,,all the officers had to say was please go home we dont want you to learn how to drive at this time ,not slap a child with $1700 fine ..

I am certain a judge will over tune this fine but it make even less sense that the mother and child now having to front court ...

2 hours ago, Raven said:

I agree I think this is to far and no different to my self and a work mate in the ute at same time  ,,,,,all the officers had to say was please go home we dont want you to learn how to drive at this time ,not slap a child with $1700 fine ..

I am certain a judge will over tune this fine but it make even less sense that the mother and child now having to front court ...

I think they said on the news that they will be let off with a warning.  Has done it's job though and has been picked up by the news channels and radio and now the rules will either be changed to allow learners (which I doubt as they do not want people out and about) or it will reinforce the 4 and only 4 reasons you are allowed to go out. 

Medical, Work, Food shopping and Exercise. 

That is it.  It's not rocket science.  Stay at home or cop a fine.  How friggin hard is it?  IT'S NOT.  Just stick to these 4 simple rules and we will ALL get through this quicker.  The 4 leave home rules are simple for a reason to allow simpletons to understand them.  Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

On a lighter note, be careful joking about anything to do with the Virus. I was out for a walk with the wife the other day and bought a take away coffee at the local shop while walking around the block.  A mate called and he joked that I must be sick as I had just paid for a coffee.  ( I usually get a free one at Maccas because I am a senior which he often stirs me about).  He called back later to say he was speaking with another mate after our call and he repeated the joke that I must have Corona as I bought a coffee so must be ill.  The guy must have missed the joke though and just before he hung up he hinted that he was going to dob me in for breaching isolation laws when infected with Corona.  My mate said to him "What are you talking about?"  He then said quite clearly that I was not infected and it was a joke.  When my mate later told me about the misunderstanding, I was not happy as my reputation could have suffered severely and who knows what could have happened very quickly if the call had ended without there being clarification that it was all a joke.  

Stay safe and well everyone.  Corona is not a joke.

12 hours ago, T-Man said:

My daughter drives us to the supermarket when we need stuff.  She stays in the car while I grab what we need.  Killing 2 birds with one stone and within the intent of the rules.  Problem is it’s only a short drive.......

We did go to Red Hill last week to pickup some fresh veges and also call into a work site that I needed to do for work (no one else on site on a Sunday).  But I don’t think I’ll do that again.  While it was for food and work, I’m sure the cops wouldn’t be very understanding if pulled over so far from home.  Zero increase in risk but......

6 hours ago, DJM said:

We did go to Red Hill last week to pickup some fresh veges and also call into a work site that I needed to do for work (no one else on site on a Sunday).  But I don’t think I’ll do that again.  While it was for food and work, I’m sure the cops wouldn’t be very understanding if pulled over so far from home.  Zero increase in risk but......

Don’t run foul of the worksite is not her work so the travel wasn’t essential for her. The partner of an UberEats or some such driver was in the car with him making deliveries and she got fined. He was ok because he was working. 

Another fine that indicates where they're / we are at.

You'd contest it. I rekon most people will. They'll end up so backlogged by the time they get going and find out how many contests they have they'll waive a lot.

Nostradumb arse 😂