Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Regarding the low K's 924 Carrera GT, to all of you who say "buy it and drive it", I really think you are living in a fantasy land and only say that because you wouldn't actually buy it. You simply don't buy investment grade, low mileage cars and drive them unless you are so stupidly wealthy that you can effectively afford to throw away the money you spend. Yet the funny thing is, those who are in that league simply don't do it - they have to much respect for the car and for money itself.

The question I would ask is why would you take a car like that and drive it, potentially losing significant coin, when you can spend, say, 60% of the money on a decent example that has enough k's on it that driving it isn't a problem (there is one for sale in the UK currently priced at $95k)?

As for the price, I think you guys are well off if you think it is "only" worth $125-30k. A decent example with "normal" mileage in Europe should fetch just shy of $100k. Based on other Porsches, low mileage, totally original cars sell at something like a 50-60% premium to decent regular cars. Add bringing the car over here and I think you are probably looking at around $160k, and I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy this car for that.

Regarding the low K's 924 Carrera GT, to all of you who say "buy it and drive it", I really think you are living in a fantasy land and only say that because you wouldn't actually buy it. You simply don't buy investment grade, low mileage cars and drive them unless you are so stupidly wealthy that you can effectively afford to throw away the money you spend. Yet the funny thing is, those who are in that league simply don't do it - they have to much respect for the car and for money itself.

The question I would ask is why would you take a car like that and drive it, potentially losing significant coin, when you can spend, say, 60% of the money on a decent example that has enough k's on it that driving it isn't a problem (there is one for sale in the UK currently priced at $95k)?

As for the price, I think you guys are well off if you think it is "only" worth $125-30k. A decent example with "normal" mileage in Europe should fetch just shy of $100k. Based on other Porsches, low mileage, totally original cars sell at something like a 50-60% premium to decent regular cars. Add bringing the car over here and I think you are probably looking at around $160k, and I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy this car for that.

Then again, people buy brand new cars when they could be buying nearly new cars for a lot less coin.  There's no accounting for taste, but everyone likes something a little different.  For example I was driving beside a Ssangyong Stavic this morning.  Someone bought the Stavic brand new with their own money and probably not because they were a hipster and were being ironic.  Percentage-wise, they would have taken a bigger chunk of depreciation the second they took it.  But they probably love it all the same.

If I won lotto tomorrow, the 924 CGT would absolutely be on my shortlist.  They biggest draw for me is that the interior is in as new condition, and that's where i'd be sitting as the k's racked up.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying Simon, without prudent collectors/owners, these cars will not be around for future generations to admire and enjoy. 

Whilst I think $180k is cheeky, its totally achievable, its also about time that people started recognising the 924 CGT for what it is. I mean, even the fabled 935 couldn't outrun it :P  and look what they fetch! 

If I won lotto tomorrow, the 924 CGT would absolutely be on my shortlist.  They biggest draw for me is that the interior is in as new condition, and that's where i'd be sitting as the k's racked up.

So you would prefer to drive a car and see it lose money (relatively) because the interior of a higher k's car might not be so good. Because this one in a higher k's car is so poor?

924%20Carrera%20GT_zpstobslcne.jpeg

Sorry, but I think that if you actually had the money and wanted a car to drive, you would prefer to buy the great condition, higher k's car for 40% less money for 2 reasons. First, you would realise that if you want to drive it, the experience of both cars would be as close to identical as to make no difference. Second, only a foolish Loto winner throws money away. And if you really did have enough money, you might well do what many top end collectors do, which is to have the "investment grade" car which they don't drive, plus another less precious one that can be driven like it was stolen:D

Did the fantastic metallic light blue SC sell ?? Not on carsales, seemed like a great car at a very decent price considering condition and all the extras it came with. 

gone in 60 seconds...

So you would prefer to drive a car and see it lose money (relatively) because the interior of a higher k's car might not be so good. Because this one in a higher k's car is so poor?

Fair enough that that one is in great nick, but there's something nice about nearly new or hardly used.

I've always lost money on cars and I always will.  Losing money on cars is the admission fee for our interest.

And if I won lotto, I would invest most of it but I would spend a good amount on toys.  And I wouldn't spend much of the winnings at all on booze and hookers....

I 'get' investment cars and the people that buy them, fair enough if you can afford to do that, yet even if was bonkers loaded, I wouldn't buy any car JUST for an investment. I can assure you that if I had the spare coin to buy a Miura/73 RS/Ferrari Lusso, I'd be out driving the things, as whats the point of just staring at it in a garage? 

Blokes are out there racing $30million classic Ferrari's, as they understand that theyre supposed to be driven, not hidden, and I personally think investment cars are just a pissing contest

Spoke to the owner, bought from Porsche QLD by him as second owner with 2 year warranty. Full P service history, however new clutch at 40k? he said when he got it it wasn't right and didn't have good feeling in the pedal, all back to normal now.

Other thing before Porsche sold to him they put back in standard springs as it was lowered, so that combined with clutch suggests track?

Ticks all the boxes for me in terms of options, k's etc. I still think its overpriced by $10 odd k, however the clutch and the lowering concern me, he said hes had no issue with it and was very descriptive and honest about the car, even to the point of what was done before he bought it from Porsche.

Happy to give me the details of Porsche dealer to contact and happy for a PPI.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2007/SSE-AD-4116139/?Cr=7

Just working on secondary 4S options if the local one I am waiting to be checked over and have the owner agree to what I want doesn't transpire.

Cheers

Jonathan

924%20Carrera%20GT_zpstobslcne.jpeg

Sorry, but I think that if you actually had the money and wanted a car to drive, you would prefer to buy the great condition, higher k's car for 40% less money for 2 reasons. First, you would realise that if you want to drive it, the experience of both cars would be as close to identical as to make no difference. Second, only a foolish Loto winner throws money away. And if you really did have enough money, you might well do what many top end collectors do, which is to have the "investment grade" car which they don't drive, plus another less precious one that can be driven like it was stolen:D

Simon, why cannot you accept that people may have different views and ideas to you? The car was made by Porsche to be driven.

You can do what ever you like with your cars, afford the same right to others.

gents what I saw in MtK's post is 'boyish enthusiasms, which I'd think we all mostly have and share. Why not sit in that puppy and drive its oil rings off.

Got Paul's message loud 'n' clear - and as no one here has won  lotto... I reckon a bit of 'let's imagine ' works for me. 

As for me and following leem's bucket list would I invest in a 73rs. There was an opp lost in 2009 ish when offered Lloyds Hughes  loved, hard living RS. Now that's a car that had a life .

Tried to syndicate it ?

Sadly last heard of sitting O/S somewhere 

image_101.jpeg

Edited by michel

I accept that people have different views, but my argument is that it is very easy to have that view when you cannot spend the money. I also agree that "most" cars are meant to be driven. My argument is that people who can afford to buy these rare and special cars, and who want to drive them, don't buy these very low k's cars. This isn't about the actual value of the car, but it's relative value to others of the same type. If you can get exactly the same experience at significantly less money, it doesn't matter how much money you have, that is what these guys do. If there is no alternative,  if you have the money, drive it. I happen to agree with Edgy that there is a need to preserve these specials.

As for Alan de Cadenet's 356, yes, it is stunning and worth a lot of money, but it isn't a very low k's car, so again, there is no issue with driving it.

But each to their own. As I say, it is very easy to talk when you don't actually have the money to spend, and that isn't meant to kill anybody's dreams. I would love a 73 RS as well, and would only buy one that was suitable to drive. Does anybody on here own a genuine very low k's car they drive regularly (if that isn't a contradiction!)

Reason i am buying my lifelong car finally is i have done everything over the years to justify not to have one for 'not the right time' and common sense reasons. Too many examples over the past few years where i have friends who have passed or have been diagnosed. One who had a fantastic collection of bikes and cars and worked to hard to 'eventually enjoy', others with the intention to enjoy one day, but it never transpired.

I am looking for a low k's car, however I intend to enjoy the vehicle for what it was designed for, i cannot take it with me and a low k collectible car is useless to my family who just want their father back, who never got to enjoy his dream car because he didn't want to put k's on it..

Just a different perspective, my 2c..

Cheers

I accept that people have different views, but my argument is that it is very easy to have that view when you cannot spend the money. I also agree that "most" cars are meant to be driven. My argument is that people who can afford to buy these rare and special cars, and who want to drive them, don't buy these very low k's cars. This isn't about the actual value of the car, but it's relative value to others of the same type. If you can get exactly the same experience at significantly less money, it doesn't matter how much money you have, that is what these guys do. If there is no alternative,  if you have the money, drive it. I happen to agree with Edgy that there is a need to preserve these specials.

As for Alan de Cadenet's 356, yes, it is stunning and worth a lot of money, but it isn't a very low k's car, so again, there is no issue with driving it.

But each to their own. As I say, it is very easy to talk when you don't actually have the money to spend, and that isn't meant to kill anybody's dreams. I would love a 73 RS as well, and would only buy one that was suitable to drive. Does anybody on here own a genuine very low k's car they drive regularly (if that isn't a contradiction!)

I can say having recently been in this ^^ predicament, that I chose the "driver car", I am of the opinion that you should leave the collector cars for the collectors, use the money saved for more Porshes. :) In my case, I would say the premium for a low mile example was at least 20% 

Saying you would buy a collector grade Porsche to beat up and thrash is like saying Penfolds Grange is your mid week thrasher. :P 

Edited by edgy

Reason i am buying my lifelong car finally is i have done everything over the years to justify not to have one for sensible and common sense reasons. Too many examples over the past few years where i have friends who have passed or have been diagnosed. One who had a fantastic collection of bikes and cars, others with the intention to enjoy one day, but it never transpired.

Exactly how I think

I just got lucky buying the 912 when I did. My SC is worth whatever it's worth, yet I really don't care, as I've waited 40 years to own one. Be buggered if I'm paying it off the mortgage!

You could be dead tomorrow, so just enjoy life, and buy what you want now!

Other thing before Porsche sold to him they put back in standard springs as it was lowered, so that combined with clutch suggests track?

Not necessarily.  Maybe a numb nuts owner with a taste for stance?

Non standard "track spec" brake pads and rooted tyres would be a surer indicator. 

What overrev information can be downloaded on this model?  If that is accessible that would be a better indicator of possible previous treatment. 

Spoke to the owner, bought from Porsche QLD by him as second owner with 2 year warranty. Full P service history, however new clutch at 40k? he said when he got it it wasn't right and didn't have good feeling in the pedal, all back to normal now.

Ticks all the boxes for me in terms of options, k's etc. I still think its overpriced by $10 odd k, however the clutch and the lowering concern me, he said hes had no issue with it and was very descriptive and honest about the car, even to the point of what was done before he bought it from Porsche.

Happy to give me the details of Porsche dealer to contact and happy for a PPI.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2007/SSE-AD-4116139/?Cr=7

Just working on secondary 4S options if the local one I am waiting to be checked over and have the owner agree to what I want doesn't transpire.

Cheers

Jonathan

go spend your money mate. With 996 4S examples selling for $80k you basically have your base depreciation value set for you. $30k is bugger all when you consider this was probably a $300k car when new. The longer you wait the less time you are driving it ;)