996 GT3 Purchase

38 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

Would love to own this car, particularly given the blue highlights over the (more common?) red, but I just can't get my head around the price premium over a standard 996 GT3.  Maybe the track guys get it, but my car is pretty much limited to 'spirited' Adelaide Hills driving. 

Of course, if I had a lazy $300K l'd have both.

18 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

^^^^^ re price premium over a standard GT3 ^^^^^

I certainly wouldn't pay that kind of money for a 996 RS, its (maybe) 10% better than the standard GT3, but not double @ $150,000..... imagine what you could buy for that differential !!

Performance wise,bang for buck no.

People have I am sure said this before,look back to the 73 911s compared to the 73rs. Price differences between those models certainly distanced over time.

24 minutes ago, dipstick said:

People have I am sure said this before,look back to the 73 911s compared to the 73rs. Price differences between those models certainly distanced over time.

Arguably a bigger difference between a 73 T, E or S car and a 73RS than a 996GT3 CS and RS though. This was also in a time where a 73RS was a the same car as once that was out on track racing unlike today where the "RS" badge premium doesn't include racing pedigree, just some additional "lightweight" options & graphics. 

Run both examples from each era around a track and I'd expect there to be a smaller difference in lap times to the newer cars despite them having a price tag of almost twice as much. Porsche marketing at its finest. 

28 minutes ago, dipstick said:

Saw this with Ducati green frames . These bikes are now $250,000 compared to a standard 750 ss but a $180,000 difference in price  but reality is no better to ride 

Same can be said GTHO falcon really not much better than a Fairmont but collectors will have either because they are a bit special .

There is something to be said about having the pinnacle of what a manufacturer has produced and long term a great investment which has been proven many times .

Its not for everyone but if you can find the means would be nice to have .Wish I had the foresight and the means to have something a little special . 

14 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

Saw this with Ducati green frames . These bikes are now $250,000 compared to a standard 750 ss but a $180,000 difference in price  but reality is no better to ride 

Same can be said GTHO falcon really not much better than a Fairmont but collectors will have either because they are a bit special .

There is something to be said about having the pinnacle of what a manufacturer has produced and long term a great investment which has been proven many times .

Its not for everyone but if you can find the means would be nice to have .Wish I had the foresight and the means to have something a little special . 

I remember almost being involved in an intervention when a mate (sadly passed now)was going to pay 10 grand for a Green Frame, luckily he realised we were dickheads and didn`t listen

4 hours ago, wilson59 said:

My neighbour when I was a kid had a Carla Zampatti Laser, similar rare special edition.  Try and find one of  those now 😂😂

https://www.caradvice.com.au/284828/hit-or-miss-special-edition-cars-part-1/

32 minutes ago, DJM said:

My neighbour when I was a kid had a Carla Zampatti Laser, similar rare special edition.  Try and find one of  those now 😂😂

https://www.caradvice.com.au/284828/hit-or-miss-special-edition-cars-part-1/

But would you want to find one????  or more to the point, what would you do if you did find one 🙂 

Just as well that I have hung onto my classic Ducatis then! Acquired both in the early 80s. The GT went to StevePGT3 for 20 years and I retrieved it a few years ago. Very little used but great to see in the flesh. Certainly have gone up in value since the 80's.

28 jan 2010 009.JPG

Ducati 750GT 4.JPG

Yes. Well spotted, Not  a real Green Frame. Original factory race green frames used the GT frame. Motor is GT based but internals upgraded to SS with modified big valve desmo heads off Bob Brown's race bike. Big 40MM Delortos and many original period parts used (being available at that time). Wide seat taken off original mould of factory seat owned by then Ron Angel (then Australia's Ducati distributor). The giveaway is the rear drum and wide seat frame. Other than that, and no green frame and engine Id, it runs and rides like a green frame. But worth a lot less than a real green frame! But a lot more than what I paid for it. The GT I found in the Trading Post for $850 in 1981. Rebuilt for about $5K.

6 minutes ago, Jason A said:

Yes, factory Clubsport and had all the right bits still with car, full tool kit, isolation switch fitted, full cage fitted, extinguisher fitted.

It is getting very difficult to find a complete car. 57,000 kms, books etc all there.

Does have Star exhaust, but sounds great.

If it was LHD I'd be pressing for a copy of your Roll Cage documentation, need it to get the CAMS, er sorry, Motorsport Australia logbook re-issued.  Looks like I'll have to fork out 110 euro for a copy of the homologation info from Matter France 😞 

Car looks very neat though Jason, congrats....

37 minutes ago, Jason A said:

Well got my GT3 back home, removed front cage, fire extinguisher, fitted some new rims and some new plates. 

17AE59DE-FF80-47F4-8354-E2E6CA9D0D34.jpeg

3220FD84-EC8A-4707-A47E-AC5E711004DA.thumb.jpeg.9cb7cec1dfc54f8bd16168f70dde278d.jpeg

I love this car. Jason I was close to buying it too, but unfortunately you beat me to it. Well done, you know how to find me once you’re  bored with it.. 

#cheapestmk1clubsportevertobesceneagain😎 

@Stephen Tinker I bought it in Melbourne last year, I have the original wheels with the car. They are pretty good, but not perfect. So I will refurb then. I drove it across to Adelaide and stored it there while I sold another car up here - no room.

@901er I’m pretty confident I won’t get bored with it 😊