996 GT3 Purchase

2 hours ago, DJM said:

Someone would pay $100k......wouldn't they?  

my old man was Scottish so Id buy it today at 2014 prices (~85-90).  Kms be damned.  Could be quite liberating, drive the ring out of it and not give a stuff about kms.   What's is worth in 5 years with 200kms on it.......🤔

Is it a factory Clubsport?  Not mentioned and non original extinguisher and that Audi-esque diamond lining on the seats is odd.  But the full PCM history has to give a buyer confidence?

I think the large determining factor is digging down into the history and proof required of how much it's been tracked or hasn't been tracked .... with those ks, a casual tracker say 2 or 3 track days per year, 110 - 115k. A hard core car done 200 track days, $80 - 90k... comes down to the wear n tear and resale for new buyer.... but all things being equal and no hard recessions, hold it 10 years and the hard tracking or casual tracking becomes mostly irrelevant as time marches on...

I enquired on the silver MK1 GT3 & spoke to the owner, good car with full PCM history, seats were re trimmed as they had wear marks from use.. no issue with the car no issue on the kms but the price was to high at $140k+ at the time & a 997 GT3 was a better proposition at that price point..

I will offer 80 

Offer 90 and nudge Up to 92.5 a few days later 😊

u know u want it baby or I will consider  a share and I can drive it in melb , another company car 😊 I’m ur interstate rep 

19 hours ago, WGA said:

I am based in the UK and am constantly weighing up the financial pros and cons of bringing my 996 GT3 RS back to Australia with me as a private import.....but....every time I do the sums of late, it just doesn't seem to add up. By the time I add the requisite import duty, VAT and LCT to the price, it is on the cusp of exceeding the price of a car in Australia. So I am considering selling mine before heading back. At least I know what my financial risk is here.

So I will be very interested to see what car you ultimately pick.

Minter around 120-135GBP  plus the LCT still makes it ok bringing it here , with some cute valuations still rolls u in maybe a snip under 300..  and you would be having a car u own and know , I reckon for the right bottle of wine to a few  aus dealers , you could argue wholesale value on ur car , just get a few valuations  on their letterhead .. as a value here or even offer it to them and present the emails to customs as justifications on ur price ....

I guessing the Porsche Uk shops are trying to pay less than than 100 gbp? my small network I haven’t heard of a car below 125

8 hours ago, James P said:

I enquired on the silver MK1 GT3 & spoke to the owner, good car with full PCM history, seats were re trimmed as they had wear marks from use.. no issue with the car no issue on the kms but the price was to high at $140k+ at the time & a 997 GT3 was a better proposition at that price point..

What’s a minor rebuild in ur opinion James  $ wise , we are seeing some MZZgr at late 100,s KMS in other forms like 996 turbos , so motors should be ok 

7 hours ago, symsy said:

What’s a minor rebuild in ur opinion James  $ wise , we are seeing done MZZgr at late 100,s KMS in other forms like 996 turbos , so motors should be ok 

Motors are fine for twice or more that kms if they haven't been stretched on a track very hard all the time.. cost to rebuild would be no different to an air cooled rebuild 

1 hour ago, James P said:

Motors are fine for twice or more that kms if they haven't been stretched on a track very hard all the time.. cost to rebuild would be no different to an air cooled rebuild 

And there's the kicker I reckon.  Even at 110 if you cross shop it against aircooled you'd have to say 996 gt3 better or equivalent in terms of long term values, similar running costs, similar purchase price, superior performance and while not the same type of character.....certainly not lacking in character.  This level of kms would be pretty rare in aircooled world so assuming you have either already scratched that itch, or don't like aircooled in any case...then why would you not buy this.

31 minutes ago, GRK930 said:

The silver car sold last week for $120k. Was a fairly neat car, actually very neat considering the kms. 

I’d be buying that over most air cooled cars at that price level. 

Totally agree its better value than air-cooled at the moment but a 997 GT3 is still even better value for just a bit more $$

42 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Sorry James, I disagree - a good 997 GT3 is quite a lot more than "a bit more $$" for an A/C car. Probably the thick end of $190K +  for a 997 GT3....

You would be surprised what some good 996 & 997 GT3's are selling for.. I know of a few 

3 minutes ago, James P said:

You would be surprised what some good 996 & 997 GT3's are selling for.. I know of a few 

Ok James.... you can’t leave us hanging like that! ... spill it..... what’s the going price for a 40-50K km 996 GT3?

Maybe I’m an easy touch, but I actually think the asking price for the Silver ‘ high’ km GT3 is around the mark.  If it was an AC, everyone would be talking about how low the kms are!?!

A MK1 996 is a 20 year old car, somehow the expectation is that they shouldn't have completed over 100,000 kms? Be interesting to fast forward 18 years and see what the pricing expectation of a 991.1 GT3 is and if they all still manage to have circa 50,000 kms on them. The concern re: mechanical condition, over revs etc. on a manual mezger may seem petty in comparison. 

43 minutes ago, Rick V said:

Ok James.... you can’t leave us hanging like that! ... spill it..... what’s the going price for a 40-50K km 996 GT3?

Maybe I’m an easy touch, but I actually think the asking price for the Silver ‘ high’ km GT3 is around the mark.  If it was an AC, everyone would be talking about how low the kms are!?!

When i was in the hunt for a 996 gt3 a few months ago i said to the owner of the silver car if it was in the low 100's id buy it ($110-$115) so if it sold for $120 its not to bad for the buyer & seller i guess, the Zanzibar red 996 gt3 with 25kms on it was asking $149 what it sold for I'm not sure, so to try an answer your question a mk1 996 gt3 is going to be anywhere between that with 40-50kms on it (just my opinion)

3 minutes ago, James P said:

When i was in the hunt for a 996 gt3 a few months ago i said the owner of the silver car if it was in the low 100's id buy it ($110-$115) so if it sold for $120 its not to bad for the buyer & seller i guess, the Zanzibar red 996 gt3 with 25kms on it was asking $149 what it sold for I'm not sure, so to try an answer your question a mk1 996 gt3 is going to be anywhere between that with 40-50kms on it

Noting both were touring. There have been 3 CS's (non ex nations cup) come on the market in the last 2 years, 2 x speed yellow and 1 x silver. Both speed yellow cars sold for over 200k, the silver was listed @185k and was online for less than 2 weeks (not sure of the final sale price but given the time frame I would assume close to asking). The only CS MK1's to sell in the lower 100k bracket have been ex nations cup cars.  

You did very well to buy what you've now got though, I'm sure your not looking back! 

16 minutes ago, James P said:

When i was in the hunt for a 996 gt3 a few months ago i said to the owner of the silver car if it was in the low 100's id buy it ($110-$115) so if it sold for $120 its not to bad for the buyer & seller i guess, the Zanzibar red 996 gt3 with 25kms on it was asking $149 what it sold for I'm not sure, so to try an answer your question a mk1 996 gt3 is going to be anywhere between that with 40-50kms on it (just my opinion)

Gonna be a little naughty here and say the Zanzibar car sold for quite a bit less than asking...

10 minutes ago, Pork Chops said:

Gonna be a little naughty here and say the Zanzibar car sold for quite a bit less than asking...

Can i say well done?? 

10 minutes ago, hugh said:

Noting both were touring. There have been 3 CS's (non ex nations cup) come on the market in the last 2 years, 2 x speed yellow and 1 x silver. Both speed yellow cars sold for over 200k, the silver was listed @185k and was online for less than 2 weeks (not sure of the final sale price but given the time frame I would assume close to asking). The only CS MK1's to sell in the lower 100k bracket have been ex nations cup cars.  

You did very well to buy what you've now got though, I'm sure your not looking back! 

You know me, I like stirring the pot.. not looking back in any way 

I'm dead keen on getting into a 996 GT3.

But now it seems I'd have to be careful about km's. Coz they're collectors' cars now and thus must be preserved with low kms and adored from afar.

So - pay more, drive less.

Stuff that for a joke.

No cash anyway so I guess I can save myself the inner conflict.

2 minutes ago, GUT said:

But now it seems I'd have to be careful about km's. Coz they're collectors' cars now and thus must be preserved with low kms and adored from afar.

Stuff that for a joke.

I figure that probably 20,000 of the 21,500kms my cars got on it are all competition - circuit, hillclimbs etc, so I guess I'd better just drive it as much as I can as the fact they're track miles ain't gonna make much difference to the value then 🙂 

17 minutes ago, GUT said:

Stuff that for a joke.

Your kms spread across (5 Porsche’s?) should be ok. Everyone needs a GT Porsche in their life. Do it.