996 GT3 Purchase

Just now, TwoHeadsTas said:

OK, question on refurb of original BBS Sport Classic split rims.  If a refurb is carried out, is it normal to replace all the M7 x 24mm bolts?  if so, is there a source in Australia, such as going through one of the BBS Aust dealers?

It would be recommended to replace bolts. Contact Peter; http://www.magwheelcentre.com.au/contact.html

He is your man. 

Is the market ready for prices of 996 GT3‘s to overtake 997.1 GT3 ‘s??..... the 996 prices seem to be holding if not slightly growing, whereas the 997’s which not long ago were all in the low $200k’s seem to have slipped back to high $100K’s.

13 minutes ago, Rick V said:

Is the market ready for prices of 996 GT3‘s to overtake 997.1 GT3 ‘s??..... the 996 prices seem to be holding if not slightly growing, whereas the 997’s which not long ago were all in the low $200k’s seem to have slipped back to high $100K’s.

In my opinion, unless you're talking about exceptions, no is the answer... perhaps in the next 10 years or so RHD 996.1 will fetch premiums due to their super low build numbers. 

36 minutes ago, Rick V said:

You would want to really want one to pass a 997 for a 996 . I can't see it

I could have bought a 2000 Gt3 CS for $140,000 a month back

1 hour ago, wilson59 said:

You would want to really want one to pass a 997 for a 996 . I can't see it

I could have bought a 2000 Gt3 CS for $140,000 a month back

Because this is a 996 GT3 ❤️/appreciation thread...........................................................................................

Difference: Mk1 996 GT3 Vs. all other GT3 released since,

1.      1st car/build of the GT3 generation, (1st to use Mezger engine, lightweight motorsport components including titanium connecting rods and a plasma nitride hardened crankshaft with eight main bearings, 993 GT2 gearbox etc),

2.      Only GT3 hand built at the Weissach Motorsport factory,

3.      Built to low/limited numbers for FIA racing certification (not built to customer orders), 

4.      Never intended or sold in US, not softened for US federal certification, (ride height, no cup holders etc), and

5.      Numbers for the collector: Total 1858 built, 308 Right Hand Drive, 90 delivered to Aus. 

10 minutes ago, Windsor289 said:

Because this is a 996 GT3 ❤️/appreciation thread...........................................................................................

Difference: Mk1 996 GT3 Vs. all other GT3 released since,

1.      1st car/build of the GT3 generation, (1st to use Mezger engine, lightweight motorsport components including titanium connecting rods and a plasma nitride hardened crankshaft with eight main bearings, 993 GT2 gearbox etc),

2.      Only GT3 hand built at the Weissach Motorsport factory,

3.      Built to low/limited numbers for FIA racing certification (not built to customer orders), 

4.      Never intended or sold in US, not softened for US federal certification, (ride height, no cup holders etc), and

5.      Numbers for the collector: Total 1858 built, 308 Right Hand Drive, 90 delivered to Aus. 

It was an answer to Ricks question and the car in question was a 996.2  . That's all well and good but still not enough to buy a 996 over a 997 .

This is only my opinion there is a chance I may be wrong . I'm not Wikipedia

Sometime ago  there was a very good spreadsheet tracking values on this thread has anyone kept it up to date ? 

So what’s the view of a Gen 1 vs Gen 2 is terms of price growth , I recognise they are different but side by side any viewpoint ?

I had albeit quick trip to the UK 🇬🇧 for a family SOS and whilst there could only fit in 2 car visits but one was for a collectors 996RS top condition that I could get 185AUD and a Mk1 CS At 93kAUD that I didn’t get to do much more than my basic homework on , my fear when u talk scarcity is as always we have a microcosm and when the imports open what happens , you can call the old aus delivered chant but scarcity remains the same .

Im not knocking the cars , I was considering for a hoist and hold strategy as they have all the potential for investment on face value . Im sure it’s a better outlook to drive occasionally than have your money in other flaky markets .

As for the 996 vs 997 price convo , unless your just buying purely as a show pony ,  you gotta seriously got to have rocks in ya head if ur gonna drive one more than once a week on the road there is no comparison 997 way more liveable albeit mechanically muted when on the road in feel , I say that now having got 15,000 kms on my car since purchase .  Drive the fuchen things , stop polishing them .

I would love any solid data from the PFA data guild if it exists.

On a slightly different tangent one thing I did also see hear in the Uk somewhat like here is a general slowing in the market and lack of availability of cash and access to finance . 

The second commentary from a dinner with a few collectors was they got shafted with GT3 and GT2RS buys in recent times on newer models and feel the illusion of Porsche investment is somewhat dented . I guess for the uniqueness of 996 it doesn’t totally ring true but it does stop some bullish impulses . 

25 minutes ago, symsy said:

The second commentary from a dinner with a few collectors was they got shafted with GT3 and GT2RS buys in recent times on newer models and feel the illusion of Porsche investment is somewhat dented . I guess for the uniqueness of 996 it doesn’t totally ring true but it does stop some bullish impulses . 

I think a lot of the expectation and speculation around Porsche's having "investment" potential is based on the increased value we have seen especially in earlier cars, AC RS's etc. in particular. These cars have taken some time for their appreciation to mature and its also reflective of the demographic of people who aspired to own these cars now coming of an age where they can stump up the $$$ for them. Lastly (and critically) they were very special cars produced in quite low numbers (unlike the mass produced and high production numbers of today). 

Fast forward 15-20 years from now and the environment for performance sports cars I believe will be vastly different. The opportunity to exercise the cars will be much more limited, come at a considerably higher price and if the figures of car club memberships, track days and the number of younger generations even getting their licence is anything to go by then the demand for such cars wont be that high. Add to the mix that Porsche production numbers on these cars continues to increase it just doesn't add up to me that buying a current RS etc. is going to be a similar proposition to what we have seen in the past. 

I'm with you mate, buy it because you love it and want to drive it - you wont loose anything on it that way. ;)

Geez, that little 996 vs 997 price question put a cat amongst the pigeons!

It was more about price than merits of each car.... eg  an F355 is more expensive than a 360, a 993 Turbo more expensive than a 996TT.  

There’s many examples across many marques where arguably the younger car is superior in terms of performance/comfort/reliability/safety/drive-ability, etc yet the older car is more expensive.  Of course production numbers and other factors come into it, and there are exceptions.... eg the 348 was an un-loved Ferrari and still is (even if I have a soft spot for them and secretly still think they’ll have their day in the sun like the Dino eventually did). 

I suspect that at some future point the 996.1 & .2  GT3 will sell for more than the 997.1 GT3..... it’s a matter of when...from the responses it appears the general consensus is ‘not for some time yet’.

In the end it’s all just academic, as I’m never selling mine anyway...my Will says it’s going to No.1 son!!

3 minutes ago, Rick V said:

Geez, that little 996 vs 997 price question put a cat amongst the pigeons!

It was more about price than merits of each car.... eg  an F355 is more expensive than a 360, a 993 Turbo more expensive than a 996TT.  

There’s many examples across many marques where arguably the younger car is superior in terms of performance/comfort/reliability/safety/drive-ability, etc yet the older car is more expensive.  Of course production numbers and other factors come into it, and there are exceptions.... eg the 348 was an un-loved Ferrari and still is (even if I have a soft spot for them and secretly still think they’ll have their day in the sun like the Dino eventually did). 

I suspect that at some future point the 996.1 & .2  GT3 will sell for more than the 997.1 GT3..... it’s a matter of when...from the responses it appears the general consensus is ‘not for some time yet’.

In the end it’s all just academic, as I’m never selling mine anyway...my Will says it’s going to No.1 son!!

Same . They are all awesome and to be honest I would be happy with any car with the GT3 badge to me they are all special .

Dont take any notice to me I have no idea .

13 minutes ago, 901er said:

Really? Why don’t you share the details of this unicorn 🤔

It’s not shareable . Not a car on the open market but if anyone is interested I can put you in touch with the owner  if he is still interested in selling it .

iI had to twist his arm a bit 

18 minutes ago, 901er said:

Judging by the reaction of 997 owners, I’m thinking they’re  getting nervous 😂 🍳 💰

Ha!  That certainly wasn’t my intention.... I totally rate the 997 GT3 - they are a significant step up from the 996.... I’m just watching price movements 👍