996 GT3 Purchase

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2004-porsche-911-gt3-996-manual-my04/OAG-AD-17659498/?utm_campaign=search-alert&utm_source=notification-center&utm_medium=email

On 04/10/2019 at 11:31, k0nz said:

Yes, apparently finance didn't go through.

I might try check it out this weekend if it hasn't been picked up before that, will let you know.

Hopefully not wasting my time.

Been two + weeks, did you waste your time?

Recently listed 996 MK1 GT3 _ 83,800 KM looks good @ (too cheap) $125K

6cwoju8xp2f6gtq9y6f2d6ap6.jpg?pxc_method=crop&pxc_size=160%2c105jt2si3q7o224jlmbnz0w5zyv.jpg?pxc_method=crop&pxc_size=160%2c105

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2000-porsche-911-gt3-996-manual/SSE-AD-6357410/?utm_campaign=search-alert&utm_source=notification-center&utm_medium=email

32 minutes ago, dragon02 said:

Unable to download for some reason....any alternative link? 

I saved a copy to my hard drive (thanks to Jason A 😀)

evo-gt3-20-years-oct-2019.pdf

12 hours ago, Windsor289 said:

I wish I blasted one of these cars around the Swiss alps 

Surely one of us must know the silver car ?    Possibly @hugh or @James P ? 

Looks ok hey 😊 if I were in country I might be tempted to take a squiz at that 

58 minutes ago, symsy said:

I wish I blasted one of these cars around the Swiss alps 

The car looks familiar but I don't have any knowledge of it's history. Appears to be a touring and whilst it shows a cage (including a Porsche sticker) it doesn't look to be a standard delivered CS cage but rather of the factory aftermarket options. 

They are one hell of a car for that level of coin. I'd buy it if I didn't already have one. 

1 hour ago, hugh said:

Appears to be a touring and whilst it shows a cage (including a Porsche sticker) it doesn't look to be a standard delivered CS cage but rather of the factory aftermarket options.

Genuine Porsche Tequipment Accessory cage, not that there is anything wrong with that..........., also appears to have 996mk2 front callipers and larger disc rotors and the engine decal is missing from engine bay lid.

Me TOO: They are one hell of a car for that level of coin. I'd buy it if I didn't already have one. 

2 hours ago, symsy said:

It’s Richard Greens car (pro golfer) he races a 996 cup in Europe & has done here also, car is a touring well looked after by PCM. If i didn’t recently buy 997GT3 I would be looking at this for sure.. 

I recall being offered a genuine 73 2.7RS for $105,000 & thinking it was a stupid amount of money (in fairness you could have bought a single fronted house in Fitzroy for not much more at the time). In another 20 years we’ll be telling stories of GT3’s for $125,000 & be kicking ourselves we didn’t buy them all...ha ha...

This car should test the current market which appears to be completely dead. Two years ago I sold my 912 for strong money within 48 hours of being advertising & had a list of 10+ people hoping it would fall over. I’m now selling an early 911 for not much more & besides the low ballers, photo collectors & lonely hearts wanting someone to talk to at night it’s been very quiet.....if only someone would buy it so I can go look at the GT3 !!!!

2 hours ago, James P said:

It’s Richard Greens car (pro golfer) he races a 996 cup in Europe & has done here also, car is a touring well looked after by PCM. If i didn’t recently buy 997GT3 I would be looking at this for sure.. 

Got to say if this was a couple of months later, and I had got sick of having a GT3 I can't drive properly on the road, I think I'd be sucking up to my Mrs very much to get permission to look at this 🙂  I know you guys say it's better to ask forgiveness than permission, but I really won't have any chance to get over to Melbourne in the next few weeks to look at this.  Then again, there's also the slightly more expensive one at the dealer, at least I could probably trade my 996.2 C2 on that one......

First thing that would be fixed is the black wheel centres, back to standard or perhaps gold I think.....

On 15/10/2019 at 04:27, symsy said:

Sometime ago  there was a very good spreadsheet tracking values on this thread has anyone kept it up to date ? 

So what’s the view of a Gen 1 vs Gen 2 is terms of price growth , I recognise they are different but side by side any viewpoint ?

I had albeit quick trip to the UK 🇬🇧 for a family SOS and whilst there could only fit in 2 car visits but one was for a collectors 996RS top condition that I could get 185AUD and a Mk1 CS At 93kAUD that I didn’t get to do much more than my basic homework on , my fear when u talk scarcity is as always we have a microcosm and when the imports open what happens , you can call the old aus delivered chant but scarcity remains the same .

Im not knocking the cars , I was considering for a hoist and hold strategy as they have all the potential for investment on face value . Im sure it’s a better outlook to drive occasionally than have your money in other flaky markets .

As for the 996 vs 997 price convo , unless your just buying purely as a show pony ,  you gotta seriously got to have rocks in ya head if ur gonna drive one more than once a week on the road there is no comparison 997 way more liveable albeit mechanically muted when on the road in feel , I say that now having got 15,000 kms on my car since purchase .  Drive the fuchen things , stop polishing them .

I would love any solid data from the PFA data guild if it exists.

On a slightly different tangent one thing I did also see hear in the Uk somewhat like here is a general slowing in the market and lack of availability of cash and access to finance . 

The second commentary from a dinner with a few collectors was they got shafted with GT3 and GT2RS buys in recent times on newer models and feel the illusion of Porsche investment is somewhat dented . I guess for the uniqueness of 996 it doesn’t totally ring true but it does stop some bullish impulses . 

wow...996 RS for the equivalent of 185 AUD in the U.K...if you didn’t buy it, tell me where and I will!

On 23/10/2019 at 19:11, WGA said:

wow...996 RS for the equivalent of 185 AUD in the U.K...if you didn’t buy it, tell me where and I will!

Don’t u worry when the car keys are put on the table I will take that .. the seller has a string of upgrades and knows I would be solid .  Again I’m not knocking the cats but an indication perhaps of how more complicated it is to find people with 100k GBP Porsche poker chips in their pocket 

On 25/10/2019 at 18:32, symsy said:

Don’t u worry when the car keys are put on the table I will take that .. the seller has a string of upgrades and knows I would’ve solid .  Again I’m not knocking them but an indication perhaps of how more complicated it is to find people with 100k Porsche poker chips in their pocket 

Definitely a slowdown in the market back in the mother country, noticed it when we were back last month and talking to the natives. The arse has dropped out of the classic market that’s for sure.

On 23/10/2019 at 20:11, WGA said:

I thought it was BS also..., Until today the following turned up on  Piston Heads UK: $99,995 UK Pounds @ today exchange = $ AUS 187,036 (Plus import cost/GST/LCT/++++)

porsche-911-gt3-rs-428933332-1.jpg

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-gt3-996/-64-2004-porsche-996-2-gt3-rs/10115214

14 minutes ago, Windsor289 said:

I thought it was BS also..., Until today the following turned up on  Piston Heads UK: $99,995 UK Pounds @ today exchange = $ AUS 187,036 (Plus import cost/GST/LCT/++++)

porsche-911-gt3-rs-428933332-1.jpg

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-gt3-996/-64-2004-porsche-996-2-gt3-rs/10115214

You guys make me laugh .... you should watch the movie wizard of oz - especially the wizard scene , a great metaphor for the car market .

That said I see and hear theses prices but they don’t sell to me 

Realty bites deep eh!  Best way to make money on these cars buy hard and hold em .. 

You also forget , the Haggle they will get on this car , the dealers  cut or margin even if on consignment and the set of tyres of brakes that will get thrown onto the deal yo close it ... so what’s its real trade/liquidation price ??  It does have highish mileage 

What do we think the market is doing in the next couple of years? On one hand we are all be amazed at how "cheap" that silver Mk1 is above, but on the other hand, lets not forget a car like that was an 85K buy a only handful of years ago. Is it inconceivable to think the sub 100K 996 GT3 could return shortly? 

Market in general for all older Porsche is over priced. It will. Needs to correct. But the GT3 is at a pretty sweet point when you see 964s going for 150k. I feel GT3s will stay at current prices but cars like the 964 will slide given real. Bang for buck and production numbers.

964s are relatively low production in the scheme of things, especially when you start getting back to c2 manual not messed with?  I agree in general that the forward looking view is no more gains with longer sell times and occasional bargains appearing.  Will be tougher to sell a car with question marks.

996 GT3 looks to have strongest potential, maybe 996 turbo as well.

No idea. Only thing I know for sure is that the 996 GT3 is awesome. Hopefully this remains as the Porsche worlds best kept secret so prices remain low(ish) allowing me to drive mine "guilt free" and not having to worry about the kms raking up! 

Or maybe by the time these are truly appreciated kms wont be an issue. I don't see people being concerned about kms on 73, 964 or 993 RS's! 

1 hour ago, hugh said:

No idea. Only thing I know for sure is that the 996 GT3 is awesome. Hopefully this remains as the Porsche worlds best kept secret so prices remain low(ish) allowing me to drive mine "guilt free" and not having to worry about the kms raking up! 

Or maybe by the time these are truly appreciated kms wont be an issue. I don't see people being concerned about kms on 73, 964 or 993 RS's! 

This is what I'm banking on! I agree that I don't think kms will be of a concern in the future. Plenty in the states still going strong with close to 100K miles including lots of track time. We don't drive our cars enough in Aus.