What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

Thanks Lee... make sure with the house reno that she throws in a ghetto Poxster for you when you stump up for the veranda re-do

?  

I recently showed her pics of custom Boxsters and Cayman's with 'What do you think of these?' No shit, her reply was 'You're a tradie, not a hairdresser!'  ?? (sorry Boxster/Cayman owners, I hadn't told her anything!) 

After being onsite last week with a silver 996 Boxster parked out front, I was planning in my head what I would do with it. Lowered, big rims, polished roll hoops.........reckon I spent an imaginary 20 grand in 4 minutes! It would be good fun to muck around with one, though the backdate will have to do for now

Service today on the 996.2 after another 5000 or so kms.  Oil much cleaner this time, so the flushes with the last couple of oil changes appears to have worked in clearing out the gunk resulting from little prior usage.  Only one cam sensor fault instead of the numerous ones from previous.  Will check fault codes again in another 5000kms, and if no faults will stretch service period to 10000kms, or yearly.  Coolant reservoir all opaque, so recommendation to replace that too.  But the big one, another set of rear tyres needed?  Inner shoulders worn after only 16000kms, rest has even wear with lots of tread left.  Diagnosed as most likely out of alignment (looking back at invoices that came with car, no Wheel Alignment done when the Contis were put on - not very good PR Technology!!!).

Mechanic recommended trying Yoko Neova ad08rs as they seem to be a bit more resistant to wear on the shoulder - anyone tried these?

Looking at the tread pattern these look very much a track tyre rather than an everyday road tyre???

Well yesterday actually, nice cold day and I hadn't cleaned the BBC since it's last outing.

So picked up some DODO Red Mist Protection Detailer, and after a good tub applied the stuff.

Easy to apply and I think it did a stunning job.   I took it for a drive this arvo and encountered a few drops of rain on the way home.

So took a few shots before putting it to bed, without touching it up (so to speak :P)

IMG_4130

IMG_4131

IMG_4139

Plus I'm a self indulgent prick and love seeing my Basalt Black Cayman on the forum.:wub:

Installed my new muffler last Monday night. Replaced the secondary muffler with and FVD Brombacher. Will apparently open up with 1500 k's or so but already very happy with the tone and volume. Definitely more aggressive sounding on throttle and coming off. Absolutely no drone in cabin.

IMG_7032

Few things done over this weekend.  Applied the McGuiar's spray on coating to my RH 996.2 Headlight (from the 2 bottle kit), after last weekend's dismal fail at spraying clearcoat.  Had to spend a couple of hours last Sunday with the wet and dry to remove the crows feet that had resulted.  Great result from the McGuairs, I left it for 24 hours, then a 2000 Wet & Dry to remove a couple of floaties that had landed on it when wet, then polished and re-installed headlight.  Not quite as clear as the brand new LH one, still slightly hazy but not too bad, quite happy with result.

Today's main effort was to apply XPEL PPF to the headlights (perfect 10/10 result) and the bonnet (probably a 8.5/10 result).  Will leave to totally dry, give the car a wash, and then have another checkover.  A few air bubbles still, hopefully these may disappear, otherwise I guess a pin to let the air out of the bubbles is probably in order????

Still to do the nose cone, thinking this may be worth leaving for the pro's perhaps??  Lots of compound curves for me to stuff up.....

Then took Mrs's 987 out to visit mate who is transferring bits from a blown 986 motor onto a 2nd hand one to re-install in his 986 (purchased with the blown motor).  The blown motor had a new IMS bearing installed about 1/2 hour before motor blew up (big end bolt let go), so he has removed this and is about to install in the new motor.  It's one of the EPS roller bearing ones, looks much more substantial than the double row one in the new motor, even though that looked to be in very good condition (motor had only done 43,000kms so it should have I guess).  Probably another month and engine will be back in the car and they'll be mobile with their  first Porsche.....

2 hours ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

You bought the film to install yourself?  Where from and how did you find the application?

I'm keen to see photos of the headlight work!

Xpel part kit from grafico.com.au - precut and has fitted perfectly so far, but there's probably a little more stretching required on even a simple panel like the bonnet. I expected that on the bumper, but not necessarily on the bonnet.  But, having done the bonnet,  I can understand why as it minimises chances of bubbles and provides for film to fold under the bonnet edges.  

Still not sorted out my photo hosting yet so PM me your email address and I can send some photos.  Headlights were easy to film....

cheers

Peter

New seats arrived for the Shitbox, looking good! Estimating these seats about 10 kgs, originals about 30 kgs. I've taken out everything that's not essential and not tied down on the Shitster and weight saving overall is about an estimated 140 - 150 kgs. Now for me to shed that 20 kgs as well. Hhahhha not likely - Pizza and beer tonight!

r5Y2zDw.jpg

Q9NyDxX.jpg

wow even carpet and console out fantastic. i often wonder exactly what driver weight and even height does to performance. a friend of mine races quite a bit and weighs around 130, if only 50 less wonder what he could achieve! Surely those stickers add weight? ?

3 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

New seats arrived for the Shitbox, looking good! Estimating these seats about 10 kgs, originals about 30 kgs. I've taken out everything that's not essential and not tied down on the Shitster and weight saving overall is about an estimated 140 - 150 kgs. Now for me to shed that 20 kgs as well. Hhahhha not likely - Pizza and beer tonight!

r5Y2zDw.jpg

Q9NyDxX.jpg

Your ripping apart a car I would cherish haha would be keen to know if there is a noticeable difference now?

5 hours ago, Peter John said:

wow even carpet and console out fantastic. i often wonder exactly what driver weight and even height does to performance. a friend of mine races quite a bit and weighs around 130, if only 50 less wonder what he could achieve! Surely those stickers add weight? ?

PJ the stickers make it go faster than their weight ... surely you remember that fact from your youth, like I do? I guess chopping out 150kgs from a 1290kg car with 180kw power and 320 torques, is like adding approx 20 hp and or 40 torques to the engine equivalent? Talking outta my arse probably but it certainly goes heaps faster - and costs nothing for the gain. I took off a door trim as It looked like it weighed 15kgs but it only weighed about 6 or 7kgs I think, and the airbag was untidy as and also there's door handle sensors linked to the windows dropping an inch for the convertible top. I could've dealt with the sensors and worked them out with a strap handle but as the trims weighed F all I'm just keeping them on... maybe I'll do em one day.

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

Damn you're going for it mate! Nice work. Love the 'Shitster' get ??

I've always wanted to ask Boxster owners if there is any noticeable wind noise when the top is up?

Thanks Lee, if you drove it you'd buy one and ghetto it... I know you're close to coming over to the darkside with us, you know you want to! I've got a few and no noise comes through and they hardly even "creak". I have the engine cover ajar at the back by about 2cm, so I get heaps of engine noise and it sounds awesome. Like being in a semi-racecar every time I tootle around

2 hours ago, Daly87 said:

Your ripping apart a car I would cherish haha would be keen to know if there is a noticeable difference now?

Nothing I've done that can't be undone easily but It's never going back to anywhere near stock while I have it. You could do the same Daly but I know you're a purist at heart, yours will appear soon mate. I've also desnorkeled it totally and added more cold airflow by a little trick and smacked a few well placed 1" holes through the muffler/baffles. I have a cheap as plan for freeing up the exhaust a hell of a lot more. Also an 83mm throttle body going on. It's all about the cheapest HP gains, lightness gains and handling gains I can get

19 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Thanks Lee, if you drove it you'd buy one and ghetto it... I know you're close to coming over to the darkside with us, you know you want to! I've got a few and no noise comes through and they hardly even "creak". I have the engine cover ajar at the back by about 2cm, so I get heaps of engine noise and it sounds awesome. Like being in a semi-racecar every time I tootle around

Yeah, not quite there with the water cooled thing yet mate. I loved the 996 I drove on Sunday, so I can imagine yours would be just as much fun.

What did I do to mine?  Thought I'd rearrange the bodywork on Sunday for that real ghetto look. Think I nailed it ?

20180701_124415.jpg

20180702_095822.jpg

4 hours ago, LeeM said:

Yeah, not quite there with the water cooled thing yet mate. I loved the 996 I drove on Sunday, so I can imagine yours would be just as much fun.

What did I do to mine?  Thought I'd rearrange the bodywork on Sunday for that real ghetto look. Think I nailed it ?

20180701_124415.jpg

20180702_095822.jpg

Shit lee, the backdate and whatever was one thing, but you’ve gone too far this time, expect a visit from the Porsche Protective Services  Agency to discuss your suitability as a custodian.