What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

I wouldn't have the exhaust gasses passing through any material other than air. Any silencing material should be wrapped around the core/ baffle. A much more effective and long lasting solution.

I made some mufflers for my 2 stroke race bike years ago, alloy pipe straight though with holes drilled in it, then wrapped with fibre glass insulation with an alloy cover over that, very effective in reducing noise! The insulation did not burn out over years of racing.

8 hours ago, stf911 said:

I've now wrapped the wool around the baffles with steel wire and will drive again today.

That's what I did Sal after fitting a similar home made baffles, and it never came out or disintegrated. Adams idea re insulation works well too

13 hours ago, ANF said:

I wouldn't have the exhaust gasses passing through any material other than air. Any silencing material should be wrapped around the core/ baffle. A much more effective and long lasting solution.

I made some mufflers for my 2 stroke race bike years ago, alloy pipe straight though with holes drilled in it, then wrapped with fibre glass insulation with an alloy cover over that, very effective in reducing noise! The insulation did not burn out over years of racing.

Thank you, ANF ??

13 hours ago, LeeM said:

That's what I did Sal after fitting a similar home made baffles, and it never came out or disintegrated. Adams idea re insulation works well too

Thanks  a bunch mate! It's a lot of fun to tune the sound. I've now done as you've said but might also fool around with Adam's idea ??

All day on the 996 today, boost test on lower section of the engine (intercoolers and blow off valve check) all good. Now to get some old top boost pipes to do the top end.

CC9A7E3E-8AA1-4025-BD5A-CF632438E6A2

Engine clean, to get rid of the tar from Lake Mountain, thanks to @StevepGT3 for your tar removal recipe. Worked a treat. 

Now for the wheel wells and suspension clean.

F79306C7-6808-4F36-9E68-C42759A03A0F

7 hours ago, brian in buddina said:

call rob @Rob

he got lots of time on his hands as he has almost finished @Jason E car

Sorry, fully booked with Jason, Justin, Rex the GSP, housework, shopping, house and yard maintenance, shopping, Nana naps, Internet...

I started to put some Rennline mesh radiator grilles on today, modern Porsche's were not designed to be pulled apart unless you have Edward Scissor Hands. This car has approx 8,000klmns on it & I have regularly blown out the radiators with an air hose & still look at the crap in there.

aMrHkgK.jpgixQE4dO.jpgxTEkzY6.jpg

Some more photos

mz4F95M.jpg

This one with the new mesh fitted

NStHcUe.jpg

Interesting that the instructions & a call to PCW all did not have the correct info on the remove process, thank (God,Allah,Dog, insert your go to deity here) for YouTube videos & forums like this for the correct info.

P.S. Beware the little sensor in the above photo on the right of the long nose pliers, it"s the air bag release sensor, don't hit this one!

25 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

Sold it.

2009 GT2.

Went to a mate.  Still made a buck! He wouldn’t have respected me if I didn’t ??

The weirdest part ... it’s a UK import ... and he still wanted it.

That it had 11,000 km might have heightened the desire!

And that its a 997 GT2 ...

Always nice when the $s go your way on a sale. Can we hazard a guess that maybe some room was needed for something new that shares a very similar bloodline???

9 minutes ago, 9r said:

Always nice when the $s go your way on a sale. Can we hazard a guess that maybe some room was needed for something new that shares a very similar bloodline???

Good guess!

Yes,  some items that will go to make room for a GT2 RS.

That was the first.

Just working out which other one gets to go.  Have the 73E on the market In the US (it’s one of those crappy LHD cars ...) but asking for over 300.   My wife was against selling it until I told her what I was asking!  It’s solid money but I see the 73T is advertised at 200 so maybe not. 

‘Got the 77 C3 WarmRod back as the guy who wanted to buy couldn’t raise the sheckles.  So it may be next.  

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, Carrera86 said:

QLD Guys  i need to get my 1986 3.2 Carrera serviced any suggestions 

Brett at Flat six motorsports 0419990993 will look after you.  Don Munro is also a safe bet.

21 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

Good guess!

Just working out which other one gets to go.  Have the 73E on the market In the US (it’s one of those crappy LHD cars ...) but asking for over 300.   My wife was against selling it until I told her what I was asking!  It’s solid money but I see the 73T is advertised at 200 so maybe not. 

‘Got the 77 C3 WarmRod back as the guy who wanted to buy couldn’t raise the sheckles.  So it may be next.  

Both of those are very tasty pieces of kit, loved the C3 and what you had done, and the 73E is a classic so hoping someone steps up to the plate and takes a bite soon 

Broke my arm polishing these guys.  15 x 7 ET +23 and 8 ET +11.  Interesting the rears are stamped BBS and MAHLE.  Fronts are dates stamped '82 and rears '81.  If you're interested I washed with hot soapy water, rubbed down with turps, washed again with hot soapy, used some (crap) wheel cleaner that made no difference, hit 'em with a pressure washer, turps on a toothbrush for the spokes, more soapy water and pressure washer, then coarse cleaning paste and fine polishing paste applied by hand.  They really need to be properly restored and frankly I'd have rather spent the grand than do all that work.  At least this way I get them on the Copper Brown SC next week...

Before - this is years of shite in tiny stone dents.  They are off a Targa car...

IMG_6727-L.jpg

A before and mid stage wheel

IMG_6756-L.jpg

After

IMG_6945-L.jpg

IMG_6944-L.jpg

9 hours ago, Jim45 said:

Daily gets a well deserved scrub...

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1485cropped.jpg

New Titanium wheel nuts...

IMG_1425.jpg

Jim.

Wow, nice car, I always regret selling my 996 when I see clean cars like this. Red calipers are a great touch. 

7 hours ago, Jim45 said:

Daily gets a well deserved scrub...

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1485cropped.jpg

New Titanium wheel nuts...

IMG_1425.jpg

Jim.

I really like these wheels for how easy it is to get into the back of the rims.  I just need to take mine off and give them a really good clean to gett all of the crap off, then I'll hopefully be able to keep them that way...

Cheers for the comments guys took a bit of work over 2 weekends but worth it.

One Saturday on interior. 2nd Saturday Rinse / Clay bar / Wash / Wax.

Wheels are easy to clean except for the fronts where the calipers are - little bit tight. Rattle gun / trolley jack at some point to clean 'em properly. But need to get the refurbished first.

Love the car but sometimes think it deserves better as I daily it and it sits outside all day - sheltered at night and weekend though. Just gotta keep the wax up I suppose.

Jim..