8 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

It is too dear in this market being a UK import.

3 minutes ago, DJM said:

Ah yes, I thought it was familiar.  Agreed, deleted 😬

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2015-porsche-911-gt3-rs-991-auto-my16/SSE-AD-6512144/?Cr=0

C'mon, this one IS special... It states it's "UK Built"..!

Gotta be the more reliable engine version  :Chuckle2:

1 hour ago, NBTBRV8 said:

My prediction is that like the lesser models, as the cars get older the manuals will demand the premium.  It is normally the case the used market buyer has different preferences to the new car buyer.

Yes was a tough choice to go for the manual or PDK . My intention with this car was to spend more time at the track and never having a car with PDK I really wanted to give one a go .

I was talking with a mate who I raced motorbikes with he has had several 911 s both manual and PDK and he was sold on the PDK car current being a 991.2 RS .

His explanation to me that made sense was pre quick shifters and slipper clutches on our race bikes he asked wether I would go back to standard clutch and shifter the answer being no way this was no different.

Will wait and see .

1 hour ago, wilson59 said:

Yes was a tough choice to go for the manual or PDK . My intention with this car was to spend more time at the track and never having a car with PDK I really wanted to give one a go .

I was talking with a mate who I raced motorbikes with he has had several 911 s both manual and PDK and he was sold on the PDK car current being a 991.2 RS .

His explanation to me that made sense was pre quick shifters and slipper clutches on our race bikes he asked wether I would go back to standard clutch and shifter the answer being no way this was no different.

Will wait and see .

Good on you for giving it a go I'm sure on track you'll be quicker than if in a manual version. When I drove the PDK in a 991.1GT3 I couldn't believe how good it was not like a standard auto at all,  when you were on it, it made for a super quick car on track. It was on the road that i was more perplexed not as convinced it was for me, I'd be interested how you feel in 12months time.

Are there any other PDK owners that want to share there driving opinions track road country squirts or other ???

26 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

Couldn’t do the green but otherwise 👌🏻 Twelve bucks cheaper than the black one, I’m sold.  Stamp duty hurts....

43 minutes ago, Scott SS964 said:

Good on you for giving it a go I'm sure on track you'll be quicker than if in a manual version. When I drove the PDK in a 991.1GT3 I couldn't believe how good it was not like a standard auto at all,  when you were on it, it made for a super quick car on track. It was on the road that i was more perplexed not as convinced it was for me, I'd be interested how you feel in 12months time.

Are there any other PDK owners that want to share there driving opinions track road country squirts or other ???

I drove a 991.1 GT3 PDK at Spa a few years ago and was super impressed with how aggressive the PDK was, downshifting into corners etc. it was ideal to allow me to concentrate on a new track and instructor directions.  No doubt faster than a manual but I do wonder if eventually I’d want for a manual once comfortable with the car.  But give me a 991.2 RS PDK and I don’t think I’ll complain.

6E810EC3-1F9F-4B89-B5F1-0B8B40495CB2.png

9 minutes ago, DJM said:

Couldn’t do the green but otherwise 👌🏻 Twelve bucks cheaper than the black one, I’m sold.  Stamp duty hurts....

I drove a 991.1 GT3 PDK at Spa a few years ago and was super impressed with how aggressive the PDK was, downshifting into corners etc. it was ideal to allow me to concentrate on a new track and instructor directions.  No doubt faster than a manual but I do wonder if eventually I’d want for a manual once comfortable with the car.  But give me a 991.2 RS PDK and I don’t think I’ll complain.

Why does anyone bother to live in Victoria? 

13 minutes ago, DJM said:

I never wanted wind up windows ever again but will wait and see 

12 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

I have owned/own a bunch of PDK and manual cars including 991.1 GT3, 991.1 GTS, 991.2 GT3, 991.2 GTS, GT3 Touring, 991.2 GT3 RS, etc. 

I have driven most of them multiple times around Spa, Portimao, Monza, etc and across multiple mountain passes including Furka, Grossglockner, etc. If I had to make a choice between the two transmissions, it would be the PDK both for on track and for challenging mountain roads. My driving is quicker and smoother with a PDK, especially in the wet where you can much more readily, and safely, short-shift mid-corner to better manage torque delivery without unduly unsetting the balance of the car. Whereas, say in the manual Touring, on a damp/wet track (or road) and you find yourself in a too low a gear and want to quickly upshift to manage the torque and your exit speed, it's much harder to do this with a manual without unduly unsettling the car or losing speed. 

Also, I find the gearing of the 7spd PDK to be better suited to track work compared to the 6spd manual.

And from a noise perspective, I have always found the PDK cars to sound better. To my ears, my 991.2 GT3 PDK always sounded better than the manual Touring. And the RS sounds even better.

^^^

Maybe all learner drivers need to be shown this video. 

Would love to have a fast lane like that on our freeways, but try getting people here to move out of the way...  :rolleyes:

The major appeal of a new GT3 is that it’s “the fastest” evolution of the model currently available. If you want the fastest, it would need to be PDK. 

If you want to be nostalgic then buy a 996 or 997 GT3, only available with 3 pedals and a Mezger. 

Love it or hate it, PDK is the best way to get the most out of the 991 platform, that’s what the cars were initially designed around. I’m all for saving the manual but it’s not as well suited to a modern day fighter jet. 

The video of the guy banging through the gears down a dead straight freeway hasn’t made me change my mind either! 

11 hours ago, WGA said:

I have owned/own a bunch of PDK and manual cars including 991.1 GT3, 991.1 GTS, 991.2 GT3, 991.2 GTS, GT3 Touring, 991.2 GT3 RS, etc. 

I have driven most of them multiple times around Spa, Portimao, Monza, etc and across multiple mountain passes including Furka, Grossglockner, etc. If I had to make a choice between the two transmissions, it would be the PDK both for on track and for challenging mountain roads.

8 minutes ago, hugh said:

The major appeal of a new GT3 is that it’s “the fastest” evolution of the model currently available. If you want the fastest, it would need to be PDK. 

I’ll take @WGA expert opinion, PDK certainly sounds like the answer for 991.  If I bought a manual and constantly got out lapped by a PDK on track I’d be annoyed. On road they are both too fast so kinda doesn’t matter.

It you want to go fast and times concern you get an RS and take it to the track.  If you want to enjoy the skill of driving in an everyday world get a manual GT3 and take it on a country road.

The world has moved on from 997 times and I have found that the GT3 PDK driving experience is very good but you have to be driving very hard with PDK to get the same experience as a manual gives you where you don't have to be up it all the time.  PDK in a GT3 isn't as good around town as a manual too.

17 minutes ago, hugh said:

If you want to be nostalgic then buy a 996 or 997 GT3, only available with 3 pedals and a Mezger. 

Love it or hate it, PDK is the best way to get the most out of the 991 platform, that’s what the cars were initially designed around. I’m all for saving the manual but it’s not as well suited to a modern day fighter jet. 

The video of the guy banging through the gears down a dead straight freeway hasn’t made me change my mind either! 

These are exactly the reasons I went for the PDK .

3 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

It you want to go fast and times concern you get an RS and take it to the track.  If you want to enjoy the skill of driving in an everyday world get a manual GT3 and take it on a country road.

The world has moved on from 997 times and I have found that the GT3 PDK driving experience is very good but you have to be driving very hard with PDK to get the same experience as a manual gives you where you don't have to be up it all the time.  PDK in a GT3 isn't as good around town as a manual too.

For me is not about the times around a track it’s more about the driving experience.

If I wanted the car you described for me a Carrera S or a GTS would have been better suited . 

Probably doesnt mean much as I've not driven anything with PDK, only a tiptronic 996, yet from a pure hills/track driving point of view, I'd go for PDK over a manual. So much easier to just left foot brake without having to heel/toe and change gear manually. 

2 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Probably doesnt mean much as I've not driven anything with PDK, only a tiptronic 996, yet from a pure hills/track driving point of view, I'd go for PDK over a manual. So much easier to just left foot brake without having to heel/toe and change gear manually. 

You will get your chance soon 

6 minutes ago, LeeM said:

I've had some decent road time in a 992 Carrera S PDK - amazing!  It is just SO fast. Can't really work out if that was a good thing or not.

3 hours ago, hugh said:

I can see why the Marketing for 991.1 (GT3) was so confident PDK was the way. It truly is a modern day fighter jet. 

A track day will be a rare occasion for me, and I appreciate others priorities will be different, but if I'm driving predominately road and Sunday morning squirts, I don't really want easier. 

PDK for the track, manual for the road.

Personal preference obviously but all this talk of PDK being some transcendent experience is rubbish. It’s a fast shifting auto, nothing more.

I hired 5 different performance cars last time I was in Switzerland/Germany doing all the passes and tracks. The one with PDK was my least favourite on the road. I know it’s a personal preference thing but goddam was that a boring car to drive compared to everything else we were in. We also had it the longest and put 2000km on it so I gave it a good go. Definitely not for me as a weekend car.

5 hours ago, sleazius said:

Personal preference obviously but all this talk of PDK being some transcendent experience is rubbish. It’s a fast shifting auto, nothing more.

Hard driven on track PDK is amazing.  So much more than an auto not just in terms of shift speed but even when left in auto, in hard braking it downshifts into a corner so you power through in the right gear.  I can’t stand an auto on track but PDK is a different ball game in my experience.  

On road, I found even a GT4 was too fast to get close to its limits - I suppose a manual offers a bit more engagement but you still can’t rev the thing out much without smashing through speed limits and having people shaking their fist at you.

7 hours ago, luzzo said:

A track day will be a rare occasion for me, and I appreciate others priorities will be different, but if I'm driving predominately road and Sunday morning squirts, I don't really want easier. 

Buy something much slower than a GT3 that you can flog up a windy road with a huge grin and without fear of death or jail.

5856E736-95F2-4988-ADB0-693910FC9D64.jpeg

I'm not knocking it on a track. It is boring on the road (for me). It is just so capable that you might as well leave it in auto. You also feel zero danger at any point, no matter how fast you go unless you start turning stuff off. It leaves you with the feeling that you don't need to respect the car because it will cover your mistakes.

I'm not knocking anyone else for choosing PDK, but for me, if it was my weekend car, little or no track time, I'd be disappointed with the PDK car having driven them both.