On 03/05/2020 at 10:57, NBTBRV8 said:

It you want to go fast and times concern you get an RS and take it to the track.  If you want to enjoy the skill of driving in an everyday world get a manual GT3 and take it on a country road.

The world has moved on from 997 times and I have found that the GT3 PDK driving experience is very good but you have to be driving very hard with PDK to get the same experience as a manual gives you where you don't have to be up it all the time.  PDK in a GT3 isn't as good around town as a manual too.

Everybody is entitled to their own preference, thats why some people like brunettes while others prefer blonds. Thats why I take a counter view to your point that "you have to be driving very hard with PDK to get the same experience as a manual gives you where you don't have to be up it all the time".   

I actually think that in many situations it's the exact opposite. I will give you an example.

I live is a small village near the Thames. The road to my village has a range of speed limits from 100kph to 35kph. There is one particular spot where you encounter a roundabout which is 35kph coming from 100kph and within 30metres it goes back to 100kph before a blind off camber down hill left.

In my RS I approach the roundabout in 4th, then very quickly shift down two gears in rapid succession to 2nd (each time the exhaust giving a very pleasing F6 woompf on the downshift). You are then hard on the gas and very quickly up 2 gears short shifting each one before quickly downshifting to 3rd for the off camber left. That's 5 gears changes within say 50-80 metres making you grin as the F6 barks on each gear change. Makes me laugh every time even though you are only driving within the speed limit.

Now when I try this in the GT3 Touring, you can only manage 2 gear changes in the same distance because you have to hold 3rd for most of the time. Nor do you get the same pleasurable bark from the exhaust on the gear changes as you do in the PDK RS.  So IMHO, depending on the situation, you can actually play with the car in a more complex way with the PDK than you can with a manual.

10 hours ago, NBTBRV8 said:

For what it's worth, I found the (brief) comparison about the manual vs PDK at the end of the comparison with the AMG GT-R

https://youtu.be/vZBrokdeZDk

Before I got my GT3 RS, I had a GTR for over 12months alongside my 991.2 GT3 and my 991.2 GT3 Touring. I took all three cars out to Spa for a track day and invited a bunch of friends and family along. It was my first time in the GTR on track at Spa and within 6-8 laps I put down a 2:45sec lap which was equal to my best time in the GT3 at the time. Each person who drove it that day preferred it over the GT3 or the Touring saying it was easier to drive "quickly" compared the GT3...and it sounded better.

But here's the rub, after 8 laps in the GTR, no brakes whereas the GT3 (and the Touring) just circulated all day. And when it got wet, well, the GTR was all but undrivable due to the torque delivery. It just wanted to kill you! But still, its a car that delivers huge fun in the right conditions.

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_4338.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3036.jpg

2 hours ago, WGA said:

I actually think that in many situations it's the exact opposite. I will give you an example.

I live is a small village near the Thames. The road to my village has a range of speed limits from 100kph to 35kph. There is one particular spot where you encounter a roundabout which is 35kph coming from 100kph and within 30metres it goes back to 100kph before a blind off camber down hill left.

In my RS I approach the roundabout in 4th, then very quickly shift down two gears in rapid succession to 2nd (each time the exhaust giving a very pleasing F6 woompf on the downshift). You are then hard on the gas and very quickly up 2 gears short shifting each one before quickly downshifting to 3rd for the off camber left. That's 5 gears changes within say 50-80 metres making you grin as the F6 barks on each gear change. Makes me laugh every time even though you are only driving within the speed limit.

Now when I try this in the GT3 Touring, you can only manage 2 gear changes in the same distance because you have to hold 3rd for most of the time. Nor do you get the same pleasurable bark from the exhaust on the gear changes as you do in the PDK RS.  So IMHO, depending on the situation, you can actually play with the car in a more complex way with the PDK than you can with a manual.

This is exactly the reason for my choice of going with PDK  .

I found in my previous GT3 manual cars many of my favourite drives was really just two gear changes . I love the sound of the PDK and the idea of taking the car to peak RPM with the lightning speed of the gear change .

I am glad that you found the PDK more engaging this is what I am hoping for 

16 hours ago, WGA said:

Before I got my GT3 RS, I had a GTR for over 12months alongside my 991.2 GT3 and my 991.2 GT3 Touring. I took all three cars out to Spa for a track day and invited a bunch of friends and family along. 

IMG_4338.jpg

How do I join your family 😂

Thanks for the comments but I actually get more enjoyment from my cars by letting other people drive them. Last year some friends came over from OZ to join me on a road trip across Europe to Tuscany and back. When they arrived at my place I said "pick a car and lets go".

Well much debate ensued, the 964 and the 996 were immediately eliminated as too old and uncomfortable to undertake a 4,500kms round trip. No one wanted the 997 or the Touring. My nephew chose the GTR while I chose the GT3. Meanwhile my wife and sister-in-law were huddling, then turned and announced that they would do a "Thelma and Louse" and would take the 991.1 GTS cab and make their own way to Tuscany at their pace. So while us "boys" were racing down the Autobahn at 290kph and tearing up mountain passes, the girls cruised along, stopping at day spas along the way enjoying the drive at their own pace. It was one of the best holidays ever sharing cars with friends and family. 

IMG_3373.jpg

IMG_4463.jpg

IMG_4466.jpg

8 hours ago, WGA said:

Well much debate ensued, the 964 and the 996 were immediately eliminated as too old and uncomfortable to undertake a 4,500kms round trip. No one wanted the 997 or the Touring.

I doubt I’m the only idiot that would have chosen your 996 RS for the road trip! 😂 

what a lovely story and trip to share... those memories will last a lifetime! 

IMG_4463.jpg.fa3ff7be5947e7c422f6a2ed325

Love this story @WGA

Mrs Luzzo leaned over to see the pics and suddenly has an interest in what I'm reading about on PFA. The 991 GTS cab is her favourite car,  so now I'm not only up for a Pcar for her, but I have to add a European holiday to the purchase...! 

Must read these pages in private!

Well, while we are in lockdown....and I have nothing better to do except stare at my cars out the window....and if you are interested....I thought I would share another GT3 travel story.

The year before I got the GTR, I had an M2, a 991.1 GT3 3.8 and a 991.2 GT3 4.0. I meant to sell the 991.1 GT3 when the 991.2 arrived but didn't get around to it for 6+months so I had the two cars sitting around for awhile. The same crew came across from OZ and we set off on a two week Swiss/Italy road trip heading for the mountain passes (Furka, Susten, Grimsel, San Bernardino, etc, etc).

This is a video of our drive down the San Bernardino Pass. I lead off in the 991.2 GT3 4.0 while the other two follow in the M2 and 991.2 GT3 3.8. The video is shot from the 991.1 GT3. If you like the sound of a GT3, do yourselves a favour, put the headsets on and turn up the volume. The 991.1 GT3 sounds awesome.

If you are considering buying a 991 GT3, a 3.8 or 4.0, I would thoroughly recommend them. They are about the best fun you can have sitting down.

The second video is a short drive up part of the Furka pass in the 991.2 GT3 4.0.

It was another fantastic holidays sharing cars with family and friends. We were all a bit naughty but that's half the fun.

9903FE69-EC60-4EB5-BA44-E866C6471A5B.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

Awesome @WGA

I should be in Grindelwald with my brother this week and driving Furka and Susten passes amongst other things.  Not with your collection of cars unfortunately.
but then Covid got in the way.  Hopefully we can resurrect for next year some time.  The scenery is incredible, the roads a bonus.

GT3 sounds wicked being used as intended.

31 minutes ago, DJM said:

Awesome @WGA

I should be in Grindelwald with my brother this week and driving Furka and Susten passes amongst other things.  Not with your collection of cars unfortunately.
but then Covid got in the way.  Hopefully we can resurrect for next year some time.  The scenery is incredible, the roads a bonus.

GT3 sounds wicked being used as intended.

If you're going to do it and want some P cars, the best place to rent is the Porsche dealers themselves. Every other car we rented the places (and we're talking main stream euro car places like sixt) gave us shit about damage to the cars (or tyres) when there wasn't any. The Porsche guys couldn't have been more laid back if they tried.

Not the cheapest, but certainly the most hassle free. The cars rotate depending on when you're there, for example the GTS we had are no longer available.

https://drive.porsche.com/swiss/en/prices-rates.html

Drive into Andermatt the back way via the Oberalp Pass, hit the cans, set out next morning, take your time going Furka -> Grimsel -> Susten in a big loop, back to Andermatt for cans again, set off for next destination the next morning. Did it with an i8, C63S, M2 and GTS. Drove them both ways and enjoyed going up Furka more than going down Furka. Oberalp pass is more hairy but fewer cars.

2 hours ago, NBTBRV8 said:

I see that he has put the price up $15k.  The market must still be bouyant.

Or, he wasn't wanting to negotiate on the $280 price, and was getting hit with low offers.  So, start higher. 

9 hours ago, WGA said:

It was another fantastic holidays sharing cars with family and friends. We were all a bit naughty but that's half the fun.

Seemed all completely normal carry on, keep the good times rolling.

Great footage a trip to this region has been on my bucket list for a few years now and I really look forward to making it happen (guides welcome😁) in the next few years thanks for sharing.

On 07/05/2020 at 19:12, wilson59 said:

That 991.2 GT3 is a good thing 

Hey Paul, just curious..... one a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being best).... where would you peg the 997 vs 997.2 vs 991.2 GT3’s??  Fun factor, pure performance, etc?

15 minutes ago, Rick V said:

Hey Paul, just curious..... one a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being best).... where would you peg the 997 vs 997.2 vs 991.2 GT3’s??  Fun factor, pure performance, etc?

They all clearly have the same DNA . The 997 as has been mentioned before most likely very similar to your 996.2 GT3 .

The .2 the same but more refined felt smoother suspension better  but still a real driving experience.

The 991.2 still early days for me but very refined super smooth in comparison to the other 2 cars and a awesome motor looking forward to getting out in the track in it .

Feels bigger but not stupid big . The 997.1 and before are definitely more basic and raw wether that is a good thing or not .

All these models are 10,s