Where did you drive your Porsche today?

Airhead

16 hours ago, Arne Krix said:

Lively morning and some spare time. Grimmy and myself set sail and finished up for a very nice brunch in the Yarra Valley. All things suspension were discussed , as were many other topics. Thanks Mark for a great catch up.👍👍

20221011_095543.jpg

I think it's time to lower your truck...err, I mean Cayman @Grimmy

2 hours ago, WGA said:

Funny thing at Porsche By the Bay last Sunday. Parked right next to the Chartreuse 992 Touring was a Fashion Grey 991R with the most lush interior of any car there. It was a stunning car…and yet…pretty much nobody even noticed what it was. Everyone just looked at the 992.

Au contraire, I actually admired it but wondered what makes a car an R?

• 3 weeks later...

Northern Tassie GT group drive today, passengered as I have sold my GT car.  Good little collection, had a drive of the 991.2 GT3 - awesome car in Targa spec (supercar front brakes etc, was well inside top 10 in this years Targa Tas before the halting of the event).  Faarrkk!!!!  Talk about some acceleration!!!.  Then ride back home in the 6.2RS 🙂  A great morning!!!!

(3 of the 4 cars have been TT competitors, the 6.2 GT3 is one owner car with a heap of TTs under its belt)

image.thumb.jpeg.040eca5c98632eba91f8a3e6a53dc701.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.974aa08df8735df896512a121da25a15.jpeg

20221030_091449.jpg

Funny story.

Needed to go pickup something about 25 minutes from home which was a good excuse for a drive. My 14yo daughter wanted to come along so that was cool. However, on the way home my daughter asked if we could drop by to BigW to pickup something to go with her Halloween costume.  Now, I wouldn't normally go anywhere near the shops with my 911, but figured it was Sunday and not that busy, and I could find a park well away from the crowds by myself and walk a bit further.  So anyway, I drove through the underground carpark and was surprised to find the carpark gold. A carpark surrounded by 4 posts to provide the ultimate protection. 

I was that stoked about finding this awesome park that on the way back to the car I stopped to take a few photos to send my father. I knew that he would be equally impressed with this awesome park as I know he does the same with his Landcruiser. Anyway, all of a sudden there is a lady next to me also taking photos of the 911. My daughter started giggling at the attention the car was getting when this lady turned to us and said "don't be embarrassed, we all do it" and "I love this car" (referring to dreaming about other people's cars and taking photos of them).

I didn't have the heart to get into the car while the lady was there and waited until she was out of view before my daughter and I got in the car to drive home. We were both giggling all the way home.

911 2.jpg

911 1.jpg

5 hours ago, Diamond911 said:

Funny story.

Needed to go pickup something about 25 minutes from home which was a good excuse for a drive. My 14yo daughter wanted to come along so that was cool. However, on the way home my daughter asked if we could drop by to BigW to pickup something to go with her Halloween costume.  Now, I wouldn't normally go anywhere near the shops with my 911, but figured it was Sunday and not that busy, and I could find a park well away from the crowds by myself and walk a bit further.  So anyway, I drove through the underground carpark and was surprised to find the carpark gold. A carpark surrounded by 4 posts to provide the ultimate protection. 

I was that stoked about finding this awesome park that on the way back to the car I stopped to take a few photos to send my father. I knew that he would be equally impressed with this awesome park as I know he does the same with his Landcruiser. Anyway, all of a sudden there is a lady next to me also taking photos of the 911. My daughter started giggling at the attention the car was getting when this lady turned to us and said "don't be embarrassed, we all do it" and "I love this car" (referring to dreaming about other people's cars and taking photos of them).

I didn't have the heart to get into the car while the lady was there and waited until she was out of view before my daughter and I got in the car to drive home. We were both giggling all the way home.

911 2.jpg

911 1.jpg

4 pillars or not , you wouldn't want my daughter parking anywhere near you...☹️

Well Friday 9 of us in 8 P cars headed off for a big drive, over 2 nights.   Saturday being the major part of the adventure.  At the end of the day, we had done 660k of thereabouts.  
so far a great driving experience.  Perfect weather.  Pot holes were main drama, on a few of the roads, but so far we have escaped unscathed.  EF69EE18-02D0-49B4-B2AE-2AE75C28362F.thumb.jpeg.f9ce5e04d774e07e6537b328647f275d.jpeg2296E653-9212-4C41-A785-EC3BCDE6311E.thumb.jpeg.4b10be9ce6b79138fb6dde65289e33b7.jpeg26E1114F-2B11-443D-8673-02251CA72016.thumb.jpeg.c61d08cb261028d3eef97ece35e30a25.jpegB9A4F431-A3A7-4AEC-9E79-8847D8039AA0.thumb.jpeg.be2d0a9a754cca68901291146ecda400.jpeg

4 hours behind the wheel of a friend's Guards Red 992 Carrera S yesterday, Launceston to Hobart and part way back.  She wanted to experience it from the passengers seat.....  Lots of country roads to miss as much of the roadworks as possible.  

Enjoyable drive, car very happy to sit just on / slightly over the speed limit.  Very impressed actually, more than I thought I would be.  Perhaps I might look at a 991 again........

I hear where you’re coming from, and understand what you’re saying.    Others on the forum may feel the same.  The problem is as old as the forum itself.  A 3 day run was kicked off some 10 years ago.  It was advertised on the forum way back then.  The runs are planned months in advance.  But certain SMT’s have to be culled to limited numbers, and this is one of those, especially when long distances and big days are involved.   Obviously a lot of planning re maps, timings, accomodation, etc etc are involved.  The more participants,  the longer the runs stretch out.  The more chance of break downs or heaven forbid accidents.  Also people putting their hand up and then when event gets close, decide they can’t go.  Throwing accom into chaos, apart from then having taken the place of someone who could have gone.  The More participants on the actual run means the more waiting around for people, who, for whatever reason do not keep up with the pace required. 
This twice yearly event, kicked off with a group that has virtually stayed the same over the years.  The beauty also of the same restricted group is that we all know our pecking order in the run.  This is very important, as there is nothing worse than committing yourself for a good "spirited" drive, and being caught behind someone who thinks they are quicker than they actually are.   Experience shows that some of those drivers will not move over for the car following.   Leading to a very frustrating drive for the cars behind.  In our particular regular group we all also know how the others drive, we have built up a trust in each other, with our driving techniques which is very important.  So advertising in the forum is not an option nor required.  This group is not the only group, that gets out on “their own”. Many do, that also do not advertise on the forum.  Mainly for the above reasons.  The only suggestion I can offer is to put your hand up and organise a run your self.  The regular Sunday morning SMT’s do seem to have dried up recently, but Covid has had a lot to do with that.,  I look forward to more kicking off now we are covid restriction free and the weather improves.

So let's see someone take the challenge and suggest a drive.   By getting involved in the "day" runs you will meet like minded people, and that may lead to another "splinter group" going out and doing your own thing.   There are enough of us experienced forum members to help you out if you need that. 

1 hour ago, Niko said:

I hear where you’re coming from, and understand what you’re saying.    Others on the forum may feel the same.  The problem is as old as the forum itself.  A 3 day run was kicked off some 10 years ago.  It was advertised on the forum way back then.  The runs are planned months in advance.  But certain SMT’s have to be culled to limited numbers, and this is one of those, especially when long distances and big days are involved.   Obviously a lot of planning re maps, timings, accomodation, etc etc are involved.  The more participants,  the longer the runs stretch out.  The more chance of break downs or heaven forbid accidents.  Also people putting their hand up and then when event gets close, decide they can’t go.  Throwing accom into chaos, apart from then having taken the place of someone who could have gone.  The More participants on the actual run means the more waiting around for people, who, for whatever reason do not keep up with the pace required. 
This twice yearly event, kicked off with a group that has virtually stayed the same over the years.  The beauty also of the same restricted group is that we all know our pecking order in the run.  We all also know how the others drive, we have built up a trust in each other with our driving techniques which is very important.  So advertising in the forum is not an option nor required.  This group is not the only group, that gets out on “their own”. Many do, that also do not advertise on the forum.  Mainly for the above reasons.  The only suggestion I can offer is to put your hand up and organise a run your self.  The regular Sunday morning SMT’s do seem to have dried up recently, but Covid has had a lot to do with that.,  I look forward to more kicking off now we are covid restriction free and the weather improves.

So let's see someone take the challenge and suggest a drive.   By getting involved in the "day" runs you will meet like minded people, and that may lead to another "splinter group" going out and doing your own thing.   There are enough of us experienced forum members to help you out if you need that. 

Even with the same people it can be like herding cats with with an air horn 

3 hours ago, Niko said:

This twice yearly event, kicked off with a group that has virtually stayed the same over the years.  The beauty also of the same restricted group is that we all know our pecking order in the run.  This is very important, as there is nothing worse than committing yourself for a good "spirited" drive, and being caught behind someone who thinks they are quicker than they actually are.   Experience shows that some of those drivers will not move over for the car following.   Leading to a very frustrating drive for the cars behind.  In our particular regular group we all also know how the others drive, we have built up a trust in each other, with our driving techniques which is very important.  So advertising in the forum is not an option nor required.  This group is not the only group, that gets out on “their own”. Many do, that also do not advertise on the forum.  Mainly for the above reasons.  The only suggestion I can offer is to put your hand up and organise a run your self.  The regular Sunday morning SMT’s do seem to have dried up recently, but Covid has had a lot to do with that.,  I look forward to more kicking off now we are covid restriction free and the weather improves.

I hope you don't think I'm having a crack about not being invited. On the contrary, I'm glad to see people out and about with groups of friends driving. Not that I could have made it anyhow with work. But more pics of adventures will always appreciated.🙂

Though I have missed Arnie's SMTs over the big wet recently, hopefully as the weather improves things will change. I wish I had more local road knowledge and the confidence to organise one.

10 hours ago, Joz said:

No wonder the SMTs are silent.

That's the thing with the forum, it's purely a platform for communication. Clubs like PCV etc. provide events like organised drives/tours whereas platforms like the forum allow for individuals to call a drive whenever suits them + they can make it as exclusive or inclusive as they like given that it's their run. Their run, their rules so to speak, as opposed to a club event where it needs to be inclusive (although many are still capped). 

I'm now a register captain for PCV's GT/RS cars register so I'll be organising a couple of runs with them for next year. No doubt I'll need to abide by their rules but I'll be looking to implement a few of my own. 

I would hate for people being scared to share their experiences on here for fear of being accused of not being inclusive. Whilst I understand the FOMO there is always the opportunity on here to put your hand up and create your own event/drive etc. 

19 minutes ago, Joz said:

Just for clarification to the above responses which it seems was taken out of the context that I was implying, yes due to my crappy wording.

It was meant as a simply me understanding that you guys were away.

Apologies for any confusion.

No problems Joz, no apologies required, but what came out for me was a valid point, and apart from yourself understanding what goes on, there are probably other Forum members wondering why things don't get announced so they can join in.  

Hopefully I have clarified it a bit for them.

Cheers mate.