Your 996 - how modded is modded?

michel

Following the constant chatter on 996’s and the back n forth on soul character or, lack thereof, in comparison with the earlier 911’s .. they being. raw visceral cool 

so I’m aware there’s a few quietly drilling holes , adding cages, dukkin their rears and generally accessorising their rides.

As I’ have the pleasure of driving a mildly modded 996.2 

Interested in knowing who amongst us have or, are contemplating mods and what they would do ,  in process of or, have done.

My thighs (non-chicken) don’t fit well under the tiller, planning to install a 993RS wheel (in stock) and perhaps a spacer or concentric mount to raise and better present it a bee’s.  Airbag defeat kit on its way, incl clockspring and all that schicht, Controversial and sacreligious. But spacious.  Worked a treat in the 928.   

3 hours ago, michel said:

Following the constant chatter on 996’s and the back n forth on soul character or, lack thereof, in comparison with the earlier 911’s .. they being. raw visceral cool 

so I’m aware there’s a few quietly drilling holes , adding cages, dukkin their rears and generally accessorising their rides.

As I’ have the pleasure of driving a mildly modded 996.2 

Interested in knowing who amongst us have or, are contemplating mods and what they would do ,  in process of or, have done.

Driving Seat Time first  30 min's   -  Don't subscribe need to try before you buy.   Desktop review is good enough for me.  First drive great handling, braking, not too shabby above certain rpm, unimpressed below certain rpm, engine note , what engine note?  Plus good to be able to hand the keys back to yourself after your first drive. 

Drive seat time 30 to 60 min's, - same as above  but heading of to my mechanics

Driving seat time,    1 hr to 2hr   stage 1 - OTS   tune (COBB unit with loaded  OTS - great bang for buck)  and exhaust ( 100 cell HJS cats) -   What a difference (huge smile on the dial) .  What does stage 1 do? = Makes both your own rear end and the cars rear end get a bit twitchy when you are on it and light and day boost hit shove in the seat vs stock..  In terms of bang for modded buck - 996 tt stage 1 =  stage 3 b5 s4 (you know these cars) think hybrid turbo's,   24 psi of boost and lots of b5 rs4 fruit where it counts.  Plus stock clutch setup on the 996 with  25% less pedal effort than the single mass flywheel setup on the B5 RS4.  BUT also compare the pair.   2.5 hrs workshop time plus three boxes of parts  on the 996 vs over circa 50 boxes of parts and over a year in a workshop on the stage 3 B5 S4. 

Ownership  time,   1 month to one year.   Think circa 30  boxes of parts delivered (think stage 3 b5s4 parts, just strictly Porsche genuine stamped parts with a few exceptions.  Think bits with  964rs's, 996 gt3, 997 turbo, 997 gt2, 997 gt3, 997 part numbers ) plus lots off yellow 996gt3 bits for extra stopping and a bit more yellow (Ohlins R&T coilovers) .   Goal is to have  996 spooling  from the  high 1000's instead of 3500+ rpm without bending a rod .   Everything bagged, tagged with reference part drawings / install instructions and all boxed.

After one year , Too much talk on here that stock is best and mods affect resale scared me.  Just kidding.   Why one would buy a boosted 996 and not run a tune and exhaust has got me beat.   Night and day driveability difference.   Night and day exhaust note difference above 5000rpm. Night and day driving experience.  Also swapped a gembella shortshifter to a 997 stock shifter mechanism

Year 1 to Year 4 - Hardly drove it and time poor.

Year 4 - why not whack some yellow brakes on and whilst at it get the suspension sorted.   All installed and ready to get geometry sorted a few days before Christmas and my mechanic  gets an email saying urgent recall on 996 turbo Ohlins R&T coilovers.  Do not drive your car.     Took me 9 months to source them four years ago, get motivated to organise the parts to be installed, wheel alignment all booked in an then the recall note.   So back into that part don't work quite right, need to wait for another one to come from overseas (4 weeks into waiting for ohlins to supply the UK supplier who then  needs to ship to me newly  redesigned struts and mounts  .   So another 2 months waiting for those parts with the car laid up.  Don't miss that side of modding at all.

As I get a few more grey hairs, reckon limit the mods on a 996 to exhaust,  tune (think throttle response not extra power), any variant of a 997 shifter mechanism , 997 engine and tranny mounts, and replace a lot of stock suspension bits with oem / genuine bits( particularly bits with rubber) michi tyres and your done.  

PS. I thought a 996 turbo with tune and exhaust represents optimum bang for buck,   But reckon I have found my next project which may exceed the bang for buck a modded 996 turbo  offers.  eg project limited to a start to finish duration of 4 weeks (3 weeks waitng for a box from the US) to take a stock 4 door  with 6 cylinders and with a mod budget of 5k. ( 2k of that is set aside for a tune) you need to get a curve that shows max  chp that has a 6 out front and the total time in the workshop is a mere  2 days and may squeeze it all in with a total budget included mods for 5 figures.   

Mine's modified, though it's the only car I had I was happy to keep stock for a while to start with (think it stayed this way about 2 years).  

it's got 

-    GT2 Recaro leather bucket seats

-    OEM Tequiment roll bar

-    Europipe exhaust

-    Modified K16 Zero Clearance turbos with 997 GT2 compressor wheels and 997/2 GT2 RS intercoolers

-   4.0 RS clutch kit with 964 RS flywheel

-   997 short shift kit (totally forgot about this, great mod.  The stock 996 shifter isn't good and the factory short shift kit is way too closely stacked together) 

-    Upgraded 6 pot GT2 brake kit and associated Brembo type III 350mm rotors at all 4 with pagids 

Makes about 100 more at the wheels over stock on the dyno.  Its not the quickest PCar I've had, either on the track or down the 1/4, though it is is good enough for 127mph traps and pulling on the latest GT3 range in a straight line.  Its got a great balance of performance for what its worth and easier for me to reconcile tracking as opposed to something worth north of $300k

Ohlins is next on the list 

3 hours ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

Mine's modified, though it's the only car I had I was happy to keep stock for a while to start with (think it stayed this way about 2 years).  

it's got 

-    Europipe exhaust

-    Modified K16 Zero Clearance turbos with 997 GT2 compressor wheels and 997/2 GT2 RS intercoolers

-   997 short shift kit (totally forgot about this, great mod.  The stock 996 shifter isn't good and the factory short shift kit is way too closely stacked together) 

-    Upgraded 6 pot GT2 brake kit and associated Brembo type III 350mm rotors at all 4 with pagids 

Makes about 100 more at the wheels over stock on the dyno.  Its not the quickest PCar I've had, either on the track or down the 1/4, though it is is good enough for 127mph traps and pulling on the latest GT3 range in a straight line.  Its got a great balance of performance for what its worth and easier for me to reconcile tracking as opposed to something worth north of $300k

@Fraz must be your twin ;) 

duh. Should have added I got lucky and bought a singularly well modded base manual 996.2 last year. 

some of the headline mods:

- recaro CGT carbon fixed seats

- harness

- Alex Bennett FIA 1/2 cage

- Momo RS wheel with clockspring etc

-function first SSK & blk anodised billet knob

-sgl mass flywheel & fancy clutch 

- NAV dbl din with reverse camera 

- rennline fire extinguisher mount 

- TARRETT GT3 front bar & adj. links

-TARRETT GT camber plates 

- RSS links front rear 

- GIRO disc rotor   , PAGID pads SF fluid

- front HID’s

-rear 997.2 LED 

- 19” wheels & TROFEO R specs

- Bilstein PSS10

- GT3 cup front  rear sides with splitter

-  Getty design duk

- bimodal exhaust to centre exit , using cargraphic side mufflers 

- Auto Grafix PORSCHE side script

- applied dbl bonnet/roof stripes

looking to modify or swap out the exhaust set up and make install a 917 esque gear knob and skid plate /splitter from JABROC

Haven't every listed down all the bits and pieces before, but here goes....

Fitted

IPE full exhaust (titanium studs, S\S extractors, sports cats and titanium mufflers)

ECU re-flash

Torque Solutions engine mounts 

BMC air filter and resonator delete (997 air box replacement to be fitted)

Larger GT3 throttle body

Bilstein shocks, H&R springs, Eibach swaybars, Elephant Racing strut tops, Torque solutions drop links

Powerflex Black bushes all round

New Meyle arms

19" BBS wheels (F: 235 / R: 315 Continentials)

Recaro Sportser seats

Momo Protipio wheel

Works Bell paddle shift kit

Braided brakes lines, DBA floating discs, Ferodo pads

Windows tinted

Replacement sound/nav system (Kenwood deck, Focal speakers, Audiocontrol amps)

Braille race battery

LED tail lights

LED headlight upgrades to standard lights (new bulbs, lenses etc)

All fluids and filters replaced

Ceramic coating and paint refresh

To be fitted

AST 5100 coilovers

VF racing supercharger

RSS balancer pulley kit

FVD sump extension and baffle kit

engine skid plate

EMTRON replacement ECU

4.0Lt engine rebuild

GT2 rear deck lid and wing 

So far I am only planning/doing the following:

1. Centre console delete, without the centre carpet replacement.

2. Alteration to the radio harness to take only the climate controls and a double-DIN media unit.

Other than that the focus has been on repair, restore and readjust.  The readjust part is figuring out how to make a centre console delete panel that matches the interior given there is no "graphite grey" centre console carpet parts left in the world.

10 hours ago, michel said:

pics always welcome gents 

@smit2100 you’re proposition quite compelling. .. carry On 

Note me and @Q1w2e34r shop with the same tuner.   I didnt mention all the suspension bits, but yes  red bit is tarrett and the lower control arm is adjustable 996gt3 and theres a rear adjustable 996gt3 rear sway bar out of shot

IMG_4302.jpg

11 hours ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

it's got 

-    Europipe exhaust

Just wait a few months on the olhins if going the R and T kit  or ask is that kit with the redesigned front strut setup.

8 hours ago, symsy said:

@Fraz must be your twin ;) 

But q1w2e3r4 has the much  better lung capacity.  The magic is the combination of bullet point #4 and kevin @ uwm' s tune. Or did Fraz bite the bullet. 

Is the factory short shift  a gembella? That was the only part that was not stock on my car when I got it.   Way too short so went for 997  stock factory shifter.

4 hours ago, CapnHyaku said:

1. Centre console delete, without the centre carpet replacement.

2. Alteration to the radio harness to take only the climate controls and a double-DIN media unit.

Definitely interested in photos when you get this done! How do you have remove for the climate controls and a double DIN media unit in the top section?

Compared to above I’m on the mods ‘lite’ and relatively cheap end of the spectrum with my 99 C2, but still they’ve been transformative:

- Cargraphic exhaust

- ‘Orange cap’ mod with silicone hose/resonator delete

- Gemballa design lowering springs with standard Bilstein B6’s

- Auxiliary jack add to the boggo Becker stereo

Ok so these ones aren’t ‘transformative’ in terms of driving difference, more on the preventative - shit I’ve read too many things in the internet - side of things:

- LN magnetic drain plug

- LN spin on oil filter adaptor 

- LN low temp thermostat

- FVD Brombacher Motorsport oil pan