Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

11 hours ago, PomBstard said:

Well, its been a while since I've posted in here, but I reckon this market watching might help me out...

My 928 S4 got rear-ended and is beyond economic repair. Which is a shame, as there aren't many manual S4s in Australia. Anyway, I'm now looking for a replacement and another S4, or 944S2/T are on the (very) short shortlist. Manual only, obvs.

All pointers appreciated!

yours was a manual S4 and its gone to god? I am not sure if anyone has the numbers, but if you are after a C23 Aus Delivered, and if that's what your last one was - you're probably talking about a good portion of the population aren't you (in other words, excluding CS and SE - and I am unsure if they were even delivered here, and excluding GT - I would have thought you could count the number of Aus delivered 928 S4 manuals on both hands).

What becomes of your wreck if you don't mind me asking....

And if you are happy to look beyond C23 towards C16 (UK) delivered cars, I have both a 968CS and a 928GT that may be of interest. 

On 16/12/2021 at 07:35, cafe_racer said:

One that I find odd are the ads with LHD to RHD conversion cars. They always seem to have “professional LHD to RHD conversion”. Is there any other kind? Maybe people used to do this in backyards in the 80’s. 

Pay no attention to the hack job, the guy with the crimping kit, cutting disc and welder was paid to do it.  Professional!

23 minutes ago, Foibles said:

yours was a manual S4 and its gone to god? I am not sure if anyone has the numbers, but if you are after a C23 Aus Delivered, and if that's what your last one was - you're probably talking about a good portion of the population aren't you (in other words, excluding CS and SE - and I am unsure if they were even delivered here, and excluding GT - I would have thought you could count the number of Aus delivered 928 S4 manuals on both hands).

What becomes of your wreck if you don't mind me asking....

And if you are happy to look beyond C23 towards C16 (UK) delivered cars, I have both a 968CS and a 928GT that may be of interest. 

Mine was an import from UK, about 12 or so years ago, so I’m not averse to imports. As for the wreck, TBC.

And happy to receive any PM with details of cars that might be available - cheers!

12 hours ago, PomBstard said:

Well, its been a while since I've posted in here, but I reckon this market watching might help me out...

My 928 S4 got rear-ended and is beyond economic repair. Which is a shame, as there aren't many manual S4s in Australia. Anyway, I'm now looking for a replacement and another S4, or 944S2/T are on the (very) short shortlist. Manual only, obvs.

Yes I have a very lovely 86 944 t Kalahari beige /burgundy half Leather . Yes it’s manual and Oz delivered 

17 hours ago, MR901 said:

Having sold two very good cars during Covid I suspect most real world selling prices are nowhere near the asking prices on the internet. I started my 71T & Aussie delivered 3.2 at around 125k. Both excellent registered cars with history / no rust / RWC & both took a couple of months to move. Lot's of people will say "wow, that's cheap, I would have paid that in a heartbeat" BUT when it comes to actually transferring the funds the crowd thins very quickly !! I'm bemused to see numerous cars that were on Carsales at around 125k when I sold mine that are still listed BUT now 150k+.......I don't even look at Porsche's for sale anymore as I find the combination of asking price, quality & attitude of sellers delusional. But then I don't understand the value of crypto, NFT's or pork belly futures either so maybe it's me....ha ha

Was the 3.2 listed on carsales? I haven't seen one priced that low in a long time. Anything around $130k on carsales is gone within a week or two. It's the UK, or LHD ones asking $180k that sit for a while, but in the end they go. 

1 hour ago, PomBstard said:

Mine was an import from UK, about 12 or so years ago, so I’m not averse to imports. As for the wreck, TBC.

And happy to receive any PM with details of cars that might be available - cheers!

When are you safe with UK imports to a degree? 

If say a car is an 85' model and was bought over in say 90' would rust be a concern. Obviously P cars of that era had the galvanised warranty/guarantee, or whatever.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a UK import that say came in 10 years after manufacturer, (well I would, but not at the prices people are paying), but at what point of age is it considered relatively safe where rust would not be a concern? 

14 minutes ago, rminc said:

When are you safe with UK imports to a degree? 

If say a car is an 85' model and was bought over in say 90' would rust be a concern. Obviously P cars of that era had the galvanised warranty/guarantee, or whatever.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a UK import that say came in 10 years after manufacturer, (well I would, but not at the prices people are paying), but at what point of age is it considered relatively safe where rust would not be a concern? 

As with most things, it’s more nuanced than that. General overall condition and being able to get underneath the car and make proper use of a screwdriver as an MOT tester would is much more important than writing off anything more than an arbitrary time period post-manufacturing.

924/28/44/68 are prone to rusting from the inside out - they can look lovely, and the sills sound fine, but if the Waxoyl has been cracked and water got behind, then it’s a slow dissolving. Crash repairs are as likely to lead to this as being driven on gritted roads.

Mine was in pretty good shape underneath, with few indications as to its initial home.

Buy on condition should remain the mantra.

12 hours ago, symsy said:

3 x GTR 32's Vspecs . all sold , just a speculative hustle done at the time .. Driven by a conversation with some younger lads , that went a little like our page here..  I had cash and had found myself with no vocation and income.. and was pretty much unemployable and unemployed.

My market research question..

Question  to them , what was the W.nk wall pinup poster was on your wall growing up.. they were millennials not boomers I guess or the gen somethings,  whatever you call them .. I just thought young punks who think they know about cars Rally cars  🤪.    I then went away and thought theres a common timing and driving force with us fellas ,  I thought , these blokes or blokes a few years older then them would be hitting 40 and or sending their kid who's finished out of uni soon and would go for that Nostalgic toy plunge at some point .

For me as others have declared it was a 930 , Countach and  037s , Intergrale Evos and Quattro sports.    

So long story short bought em , polished em somewhat and sold em all and also 2 others one to the US and done to the UK ...and then like most good things others got that idea to and a bubble and short supply fixed that money making venture .. fun cars but .. The rest is history , like the complaining about imports , give em all to me , let me drive em .. 

@michel   you got a couple in ya stash dont ya ?

Yes I do . Both 86 944 turbos 

56 minutes ago, on_booost said:

ludicrous!

But WTF would I know?

You are sounding way too much like a soft Tesla Driver

53 minutes ago, PomBstard said:
1 hour ago, rminc said:

I think you will find , many of the older cars from the UK have been restored by now and are better than our Restos in many ways, much deeper supply chain of repairers 

Also I think you will find that a car that has been here for some time doesnt normally start to develop rust , in its later life no more than any other .  

The humidity and temp changes and the level of salted roads driving does have impact , but I can tell ya , most of them are pampered pooches like our cars and people drive their Rangy in the winter months.

In my own experience , I have seen cars develop rust mainly in the first 5 years after arriving and  parcel, window surrounds and panel shelf areas in the engine bay quite common .. the rest is a game of getting the car cleaned properly.  I have had a cars with no rust outta the uk.

15 hours ago, PomBstard said:

Sorry that it's coming to this. Can we see some photo's of the damage please. Just interested to see what damage constitutes a non viable repair on a 928.

38 minutes ago, 3legs said:

Sorry that it's coming to this. Can we see some photo's of the damage please. Just interested to see what damage constitutes a non viable repair on a 928.

Impact was from behind and then pushed into stationary car in front. Photos don’t really show it, as the rear panel deformed then popped back out, albeit with creasing. I’ve not had the opportunity to look properly yet but as both rear wings were creased and the door wouldn’t shut properly I’d bet on some interesting alignment underneath.

Immediately obvious shopping list included both rear light clusters, rear panel, two rear wings, nose cone plus all six lights in the cone, plus whatever else I couldn’t see.

The Lexus IS250 that hit it at, I guess, 50-60 kmh shows a proper bashing - completely stuffed front end. 

928 seats were excellent as I had a slightly stiff neck but no proper whiplash - and I know what that feels like!

Towie who took it away commented how strong it seemed - started OK and drove onto the tow ramp. First copper on the scene wanted to know why I hadn’t moved it off the road - until I pointed to the Lexus…

1 hour ago, on_booost said:

Each vehicle should be (some would say MUST) assessed on its own merits.

Plenty of POS Aussie delivered cars running around too..... to simply dismiss a car on the notion of it being import an is ludicrous!

But WTF would I know?

Agreed!

15 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Living dangerously 😀

I never got a chance to see the ad, but I presume it was an Aus delivered coupe manual? 
Like many have said before, if you have the cash and are ready to commit, the right cars may be out there at the right price. But it looks like this guy was just out to flip it, didn't do a great job though. I'd make a few slight changes and wait a few months then get it on collecting cars. 

But then again, I wouldn't flip a car like that.

11 minutes ago, Schnell said:

I never got a chance to see the ad, but I presume it was an Aus delivered coupe manual? 
Like many have said before, if you have the cash and are ready to commit, the right cars may be out there at the right price. But it looks like this guy was just out to flip it, didn't do a great job though. I'd make a few slight changes and wait a few months then get it on collecting cars. 

But then again, I wouldn't flip a car like that.

Japan delivered manual coupe with RHD conversion. In Aus a long time I believe.