• 2 months later...

Sell or keep?

I'm thinking about selling my 964 C2, which I love, but I am simply not driving it enough. 

On the sell side: probably a good time to sell (no other C2 coupe manuals for sale), it would save me about $5k p/a for garaging, insurance, servicing etc, I can put the money into a 911 991 (that I will get more use from)

On the keep side: it is unlikely to go down in value, I'm not in any rush for a 991, it's gorgeous and fun to drive when I get the opportunity, it's nice to own a classic.

Interested in some fresh perspectives please...

P1010086.thumb.JPG.cffa088d86f87ec2c2507868d66c19e4.JPG

Personally, I think you'd regret it mate.

Although it's hard not to think about it, but forget about it's current or future value and just enjoy the car when you can.

We've all heard stories of owners of air cooled's seriously regretting selling their cars to buy later models, as they seem to not provide the same driving experience as an old thing.   I've only driven 996, 997 and Cayman's, and although they are a much easier car to drive quickly, do everything so well and a helluva lot of fun, I'm sure they'd become boring after a while...unless it's a GT3 or whatever. 

10 hours ago, twro said:

Sell or keep?

I'm thinking about selling my 964 C2, which I love, but I am simply not driving it enough. 

On the sell side: probably a good time to sell (no other C2 coupe manuals for sale), it would save me about $5k p/a for garaging, insurance, servicing etc, I can put the money into a 911 991 (that I will get more use from)

On the keep side: it is unlikely to go down in value, I'm not in any rush for a 991, it's gorgeous and fun to drive when I get the opportunity, it's nice to own a classic.

Love that , very nice :Beer:

15 hours ago, twro said:

Sell or keep?

Mate. - if not using it - hard to see why you would keep it. The hold costs really stack up too which I think a lot of people ignore.
 I live on a ‘use it or loose it’ approach to my toys….when no longer using it they go. It also makes room for the next toy as I’m not wanting to be a collector. Also not fussed if the next one is better or not, just a fun new experience. Go luck w decisions. 

16 hours ago, twro said:

Sell or keep?

I had one a while ago and didn’t use it, predominantly because I didn’t find it that much fun to drive (C2 manual).  To me it was a bit heavy and slow feeling.  🍿 

If you enjoyed it, you’d use it.  So sell it,   964s are way over priced for what they are so cash in and move on to something you will enjoy and thus use.  

28 minutes ago, DJM said:

I had one a while ago and didn’t use it, predominantly because I didn’t find it that much fun to drive (C2 manual).  To me it was a bit heavy and slow feeling.  🍿 

If you enjoyed it, you’d use it.  So sell it,   964s are way over priced for what they are so cash in and move on to something you will enjoy and thus use.  

Agree 100%. I was in a similar position having owned a 993 for about 8 years. Loved it for the most part then got bored and wanted to try something different. I regretted selling it for a few weeks until I jumped into a GT3. 

Of course it depends on each individuals circumstances. If I had an unlimited pot of money and space I would have kept it and started a collection…

Sell it. How much? Life’s too short. Get into something else in the same market. I’m sure getting back into the car after time away from the car will give you some excitement but I’m guessing it will be short lived. Sell it to a person that adores it and drives the shit out of it- do right by the car and in turn right by yourself getting into another car that makes you giggle. 

20 hours ago, twro said:

Sell or keep?

Having been fortunate enough to have owned 991 GT3, 981 GT4, 964 C2 and SC, I say keep the 964 and spend some $$ to modify the suspension, tyres and exhaust and you will enjoy the car even more on the road (notwithstanding that you will not loose a single cent on money put into the car). The GT3 was far too quick for the road but also far too boring to drive if I’m just going along at the speed limits so I find myself driving it less and less and only keen to take it on track.  Whereas the 964, you dun need to be going silly speeds to have fun and still fun on track (as long as you can ignore the Yaris overtaking you … lol). Gotta admit that the stock 964 can be a bit boring though. 

But at the end of the day, it depends on what you are chasing, the driving pleasure or just a variety in car ownership.  Also, if the cost to maintain the car is high enough that it bothers you, then maybe the car is not worth keeping.  a 991 ownership cost will be higher too, insurance, maintenance, tyres etc.

^ pretty much my experience of 996 GT2, 981 GT4, 991.2 GT3, too fast for the road and mundane at legal speeds.

i did wonder if I’d have enjoyed (and kept) the 964 with some mods but it was my first Porsche and so i was chasing faster and “better”. The other option would have been to park it and earn $100k+ for doing nothing!  

38 minutes ago, theplanner said:

Having been fortunate enough to have owned 991 GT3, 981 GT4, 964 C2 and SC, I say keep the 964 and spend some $$ to modify the suspension, tyres and exhaust and you will enjoy the car even more on the road (notwithstanding that you will not loose a single cent on money put into the car). The GT3 was far too quick for the road but also far too boring to drive if I’m just going along at the speed limits so I find myself driving it less and less and only keen to take it on track.  Whereas the 964, you dun need to be going silly speeds to have fun and still fun on track (as long as you can ignore the Yaris overtaking you … lol). Gotta admit that the stock 964 can be a bit boring though. 

But at the end of the day, it depends on what you are chasing, the driving pleasure or just a variety in car ownership.  Also, if the cost to maintain the car is high enough that it bothers you, then maybe the car is not worth keeping.  a 991 ownership cost will be higher too, insurance, maintenance, tyres etc.

Good to hear real world experience. On the Yaris note- I do sometimes scratch my head as to why I’ve put cash in such Porker toys- the Yaris is bang for buck but where is the romance? Then it’s all the other capable cars even VW golfs are a plenty at track days. Nothing quite like a rugged air cooled porsche- it’s not all about the performance. Maybe hold the 964 buy the 991 then offload it when you’re bored and go back to the 90’s.

3 hours ago, Peter John said:

Good to hear real world experience. On the Yaris note- I do sometimes scratch my head as to why I’ve put cash in such Porker toys- the Yaris is bang for buck but where is the romance? Then it’s all the other capable cars even VW golfs are a plenty at track days. 

Because it's a Porsche mate! 

A Yaris? 🤣🤣 Pass 

Tim, you won’t regret buying a GT3. Plenty of places to exercise and use it properly, no point doing things in halves. Plenty of time for boring sensible cars (even if they are fast), it’s just not the point. 

Nothing as satisfying as driving a GT3 at 10/10’s. That’s the point. 

Counterpoint....

So you have a Cayman R (what a car BTW) and a 964? Would've thought it was the best of both worlds right there?

If you are hankering for something fast/new/more enjoyable/more likely to get driven - sell the R and keep the 964. A few nice mods for the 964 (never loose a cent) and buy a later GT3 (997 or 991) .... then truly both ends of the scale?

Holding costs add up - as do storage and rego etc - and when these are used (especially the older girls) the maintenance costs always goes up as well?

Just my 2c worth!

29 minutes ago, on_booost said:

Counterpoint....

So you have a Cayman R (what a car BTW) and a 964? Would've thought it was the best of both worlds right there?

If you are hankering for something fast/new/more enjoyable/more likely to get driven - sell the R and keep the 964. A few nice mods for the 964 (never loose a cent) and buy a later GT3 (997 or 991) .... then truly both ends of the scale?

Holding costs add up - as do storage and rego etc - and when these are used (especially the older girls) the maintenance costs always goes up as well?

Just my 2c worth!

Cayman R 😍

To me your 964 looks perfect, but we all have different motivations for what we want from a car. I guess you need to figure that out. And if the 964 isn't the car for you anymore then it's time to move it on. I wish I had the money for it right now!

8 hours ago, on_booost said:

So you have a Cayman R (what a car BTW) and a 964

I would sell the Cayman R as well;  964 + Cayman R = 991 GT3 or GTS

This also saves me paying for secure garaging, as I would be going from 2 Porsche's to 1.

You could say best of both worlds, but you could also say master of none :)

Yes, the Cayman R is 😍

1 hour ago, twro said:

This also saves me paying for secure garaging, as I would be going from 2 Porsche's to 1.

Yes, the Cayman R is 😍

@Yeatesy will be pissed if your sell the R now, he was looking for one for ages......

19 hours ago, twro said:

Yes, the Cayman R is 😍

I feel your pain - for me it was too many cars and not enough time. And don't go into the cost......

Make sure you drive a 991 GT3 (they are BIIIIIG) compared to what you have (but do shrink around you once used to it) before making any decisions.......

Best of luck!