Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

9 hours ago, dipstick said:

Nope, I tried.

Do you think the buyer if he owned the orignal engine delusional?

I don't think you understand this model Carrera.

Maybe you have too much cash & desire, however,  you never bought it, you may want to explain.

Yes, even with the original engine, sellers value is way over the top.

I understand this model very well & early Porsche cars, obviously you don't. 

On 31/03/2019 at 21:21, GUT said:

And it was my car before that and in totally different condition. All credit to @rafikdous for his work to build it to what it is.

It was definitely NOT built in Germany 😏

Maybe the seller has mistaken Bayswater for Bavaria??? I mean there pretty close - he could have bought it from an Auction & misheard the auctioneer.

On 31/03/2019 at 20:21, GUT said:

And it was my car before that and in totally different condition. All credit to @rafikdous for his work to build it to what it is.

It was definitely NOT built in Germany 😏

And, it seems to be an awfully long wheelbase.... Anyone else have that impression? Regardless of "fact or fiction" 

53 minutes ago, Neun 11 said:

And, it seems to be an awfully long wheelbase.... Anyone else have that impression? Regardless of "fact or fiction" 

Yes, it was built on a full length Beetle chassis. The manufacturer stretched the body kits to fit the 2.4m wheel base. Most of the additional length went between the front wheel arch and the A pillar

8 hours ago, Tips said:

Interesting just had a call from a dealer mate on the exact car but certainly wasn’t talking that eye watering price, more circa 170-200. 

Why? Even at that money it's madness. So your dealer mate wants to put his margin on that, or is he saying that's his sell? Either way it's not worth that or near. The market is so slow compared to the highs of 5 or so years ago when cars like this were at min 75%  less.

When was the last time you saw so many long hoods on CS? That's a good sign of how the market is.

Am I the only one here who thinks this?

2 minutes ago, LeeM said:

You're not alone mate 

Thanks, I was thinking I was the only one.

I am doing a home resto & found some old Porsche mags at 2011 when I was first looking. U.K. Mags, but car ads are seriously low compared to now & this was when prices had started moving up a lot.

Happy to photo mag pages.

I know this car & one of it's previous owners, and can vouch that it is an awesome example, but lets all remember that there can be a big difference between what people can ask & what they actually  get.

I can’t blame someone for having a go..... you never know who might just bite!!.....  Even if most of us think he’s dreamin’!!

4 hours ago, Arnage said:

Why? Even at that money it's madness. So your dealer mate wants to put his margin on that, or is he saying that's his sell? Either way it's not worth that or near. The market is so slow compared to the highs of 5 or so years ago when cars like this were at min 75%  less.

When was the last time you saw so many long hoods on CS? That's a good sign of how the market is.

The market has slowed big time but I also think the long nose fixation has reached saturation point at the price levels they are now commanding. I'm guessing this guy is not desperate to sell but is seeing if someone out there wants a top quality 3.2 and is willing to pay for it. Good luck to him. All it takes is one buyer.  

9 hours ago, Arnage said:

My bad he wasn’t selling, he had heard about the car prior to it being listed and was trying to guess the price it would be listed at,  as he had offered what he thought was a reasonable price only to be laughed at by the seller. The seller or someone had rung around asking for offers. Why, beats me. Agree it a ridiculous price, in my book that price and on gumtree means it’s not for sale. Yes dear I listed it but no takers.....

3 hours ago, Tips said:

. Yes dear I listed it but no takers.....

Actually that's a tiny positive from this B/S add.

I can show my wife & say "look dear - you know that car you hate? Well its going up in price; good investment yeah! .... Now can I buy another one?"

26 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

"look dear - you know that car you hate? Well its going up in price; good investment yeah! .... Now can I buy another one?"

I did just that this week and had my budget increased to access a better quality car than price point I was looking at, it works 😉

5 hours ago, Harold996tt said:

The market has slowed big time but I also think the long nose fixation has reached saturation point at the price levels they are now commanding. I'm guessing this guy is not desperate to sell but is seeing if someone out there wants a top quality 3.2 and is willing to pay for it. Good luck to him. All it takes is one buyer.  

A longhood is a different kettle of fish in my opinion mate. This one at $250k might be a pristine example, yet there are other cars of the same era/condition with maybe 20-40,000 km more that aren't selling at $159k, so they get reduced to $129k at a showroom like Richmonds. Where's the value with a $100k premium ontop, because it has trophies and is rarely driven? What's the point of owning it?  Saying that, I think all air cooled cars are ridiculously overpriced and have been for years since the bubble inflated, yet if people are in the realms of wealth to be able to drop that sorta coin on a car and not expect to lose quite a bit of value, go for your life, because it's going to happen.

I just feel sorry for those who have to mortgage their house just to buy a decent air cooled, and are unable to experience them.

On the whole, I'd say AC 911's are a really great value proposition if you are after a capable, classic (& somewhat practical) sports car. The car mentioned in the above posts is obviously an extreme example of pricing (and hasn't it got everyone's attention!) but lets not use this one example to form a basis of AC owners being unrealistic. 

Anything is worth what anyone is prepared to pay for it and there are many reasons why early 911's are "worth" what they are. If you compare them as a "value" and ownership proposition to a lot of other Euro OR Italian exotics they are a compelling package. You only have to look at the historic motor sport scene to see how successful and robust these cars still are. 

If I could only ever have a single car, regardless of budget it would be an early 911. I'd have one over an equal value modern car (or 911 for that matter). People who spend several hundreds of thousands on newer cars that are worth peanuts after a month of ownership are mad to me but that seems to be more commonly accepted. 

Each to their own. 

24 minutes ago, hugh said:

On the whole, I'd say AC 911's are a really great value proposition if you are after a capable, classic (& somewhat practical) sports car.

People who spend several hundreds of thousands on newer cars that are worth peanuts after a month of ownership are mad to me but that seems to be more commonly accepted. 

SSshhhhhhh !  It’s a secret, this sort of rhetoric will only keep AC prices up.