Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

The other thing I'll note is that very few of the nice hot rod 911s have been built from Australian cars in recent times.  Most are cherished and improved cars that began their journeys 10-20 years (or more) ago when the cars were best kept on the road by swapping engines and gearboxes or using 'improved' parts from later 911s.  Indeed when I found my old 911 it was all I could possibly have afforded ($22k) and it was about creating a driver to rival the canyon carver motorcycles I'd stepped away from. 

When early cars started to become too expensive to play with, owners naturally gravitated to those "horrible looking" big-bumper G cars ;) And now the beautiful original G cars are too expensive to play with - attention was drawn to LHD and converted cars.  Now even those cars in otherwise original condition are pulling numbers I'd never have guessed.  The quality of work and parts going into these cars now is incredible - they have reached a value that makes it "worthwhile" putting high quality expensive improvements into the car.  The sorts of driving improvements you'd never get in an original car.

Ironically - when I stepped back into 911 ownership, originality was key for me too.  I was adamant I needed an Australian delivered, completely original numbers matching car, and I have no interest in modifying or changing any aspect of the car from how it left the factory other than replacing consumables :D

4 hours ago, blue_ixxi said:

I don't think it is either/ or IMHO. There is a category of buyer in between collector & enthusiast who can value both originality of some aspects of the car and be enthusiastic about others. For example, someone can be particular about the car being matching numbers (chassis, engine, gearbox), original RHD, factory color, and still enjoy high level of customization of suspension, exhausts, gear shifters, wheels, interiors etc. 

This is rarely the case in my experience. 

3 hours ago, blue_ixxi said:

All Singers and high end restomods fit that case

As mentioned, Singers and high end restomods have almost no original parts left..?

If you like a car completely original, that is fine. Personally if it is something special and limited like a 2.7RS, etc, then I think originality is key and worth preserving. For me at least a matching numbers original SC is not something that gets me excited or would even make me look twice, where that 69T of @Fishcop and @hugh is a thing of beauty. I see far more value there, but I am not an investor.

Non-converted I get, but don't get me started on the stupid 'Aus delivered' premium ;) 

Non-converted I get, but don't get me started on the stupid 'Aus delivered' premium,,

add to that matching numbers,, you can rebuild an engine replace everything except the casing and its still classed as matching numbers, I just don't get it

Aus delivered is just a bit of clever marketing, like how real estate agents give bits of some suburbs a special name, creating exclusivity where once there was none.   But there was also a lot of dodgy imports with no history floating around.   And from places where salt is on the road and it rains most of the time.  Still, if you have an Oz delivered, why wouldn’t you say it,  now that it is a ‘thing’.  Doesn’t guarantee a good car any more than an import makes a bad one.

Funny in the us ‘row’ cars were once sneered at but now are the sought after ones.  Weird colors used to languish unloved, now the path to auction wins.  Exclusivity is the key!   Find it, use it!

41 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

Ad is now live, just waiting on the right combination of donkeys and number of goats as part trade ;) 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-911-1979/sse-ad-7283408/

Good luck @P-Kay.

Who knows, with Covid running riot again, people wanting self sustainability... Goats and Donkeys may increase in $$ more than an Air Cooled Porsche.! 

5 hours ago, P-Kay said:

Ad is now live, just waiting on the right combination of donkeys and number of goats as part trade ;) 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-911-1979/sse-ad-7283408/

Sadly there is truth in this statement. The amount for loser out there is staggering

I had an 18 years old kid who wanted to buy my 550 replica with a deposit of $5k and no more than $1k per month. At this rate, it was going to take me 5 years to get my money

2 minutes ago, rafikdous said:

I had an 18 years old kid who wanted to buy my 550 replica with a deposit of $5k and no more than $1k per month.

Ha..! 😀  Vendor finance at it best. 

Enterprising young Kid - I would want him on my team..!

5 minutes ago, rafikdous said:

I had an 18 years old kid who wanted to buy my 550 replica with a deposit of $5k and no more than $1k per month. At this rate, it was going to take me 5 years to get my money

Yeah that woulda been a wise decision to accept that deal...not! 

38 minutes ago, rafikdous said:

I admired his style but his maths didn't add up

$250/wk for an 18 year old would be my concern unless he's dealing coke. You woulda seen MAYBE a deposit then never heard of again

Trust noone 

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

$250/wk for an 18 year old would be my concern unless he's dealing coke. You woulda seen MAYBE a deposit then never heard of again

Trust noone 

In the old days, it was called laybuy (god, I'm showing my age...). Now, maybe you can get it sold to that 18yo with Afterpay?

12 hours ago, LeeM said:

Trust noone 

If he was dealing Coke i rekon he would have cash : )

2 hours ago, tomo said:

If he was dealing Coke i rekon he would have cash : )

True, though dealers usually don't throw big money around in one go, so as to not draw attention to themselves. Their Lambo's and massive houses are bought legitimately by working hard week to week 👍