What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

So today seemed like 2 steps forward, 1 step back on my list of car projects.

First job was to finally gas the rebuilt aircon system. The rebuild (which I will cover in due course) was finished ages ago, but I have had a bit of drama gassing the system. I bought all the gauges and vacuum pump and I can draw a full vacuum that lasts and lasts. From there, it should be easy. I bought a 4.5kg bottle of HiChill 30 and that is where the problems started. First time I went to do the job, I found that the bottle and my gauge hoses don't marry up, which I should have spotted. So I phoned the place I bought the bottle and sure enough, they had some some brass fittings that screw onto the bottle and which has a small male thread to take a hose. I draw the vacuum, get everything ready, tighten up the brass fitting and go to fit the hose. WTF! While the thread looks the right size, it is just a bit too big and the hose won't attach. So everything goes back in the garage and I am sitting here trying to find the right fitting to go on the bottle. With so much invested on gauges, vacuum pump and gas, I want to get it charged rathervthan spend the money to get somebody else to do it. FARK!!!!! At least while I was leaving the vacuum I fitted new under dash air hoses, gettibg rid of all the half crushed, torn and nasty shit that was under there. All good, until I was about to tighten the last clip when I realised that the Y" piece it went onto was cracked. FARK!!!! (again!)

By now, i am beginning to think i shouldn't do anything else to the car, but I couldn't resist. Since buying the car, i have been rather disappointed by the standard brakes. Yes, I know that I have been used to cars with servo's to help, but it isn't that. The standard pads simply don't bite as well as I like, and the modulation is pretty average in as far as there is too great a range of pedal movement. I had ordered a set of Pagid RS15's, which, IMO, is the best around, having great bite when cold and performing well up to a pretty high temperature. What I received was a set of RS-H03's. It seems that RS15's are no longer made and the local Pagid rep told the supplier that the 03's were the equivalent. Needless to say, IMO, they aren't anywhere near the same, which left me having to either return them to the UK or put up with them.

So today, I decided to fit them, despite having no luck with the other jobs I tried. Was I risking having a car that I couldn't drive? What would I find? Was I being stupid starting 2 hours before dark? Well...........I had forgotten just how quickly you can change pads. A very leisurely 25 minutes later and I am sitting in the drivers seat pushing the pedal to the floor, hoping to get the proper pedal back with a few pumps. And guess what..... sure enough, the pedal returns as firm as ever.

This means I could now move onto the fun bit - bedding in new pads. Of course, because of the speeds involved, I promptly went to the local track and/or airfield and/or private road. In the past, I have needed to wear a harness to stop the jarring of hard braking, but this car doesn't have harnesses (yet). After 15 minutes of being flung around the car, I decide the bedding in has been done and I could now partake in some spirited driving in some nice, local twisty bits to see what the pads are really like. In short, they don't have as good initial bite as the RS15's, but they are a big improvement on the standard pads. It took a little time to get used to the modulation - it was initially pretty easy to jump on the pedal too hard and lock up, but after a short time, I got used to them and I remembered just how nice "proper" pads are. Compared with standard pads, it makes things like toe and heel or trail breaking so much easier, both of which are easier if you aren't having to stand on the brake pedal to get a reasonable amount of retardation. Release was also nice and progressive, but over a shorter range than standard pads, which again, is something I prefer. The only downside was that when I arrived home, and at low speed, there sounded like a hint of brake squeal, Time will tell, but I don't particularly liek a noisy pad

Would I recommend these pads? Yes, for most who want a fast road/rack pad it seems a good compromise for those who don't want to chew through disks and would find a totally dedicated race pad too extreme. For me, they will do for now, but I suspect that at some point, I will be looking for something a bit more extreme.

Well it's been a month but i finally have A/C again, i got my rebuilt compressor installed and my A/C guy came out to fit a new drier and gas up the system all good.

Not good is that the battery is now cactus after not running the car for some time, so i had to jump start it and it took a bit of persuading but it finally fired and so i took her out to try the A/C, nice and cold and it was so good to drive it again, yeeha.

I went and looked at it!  

Its at Porsche Brighton. 

Its orange. Very orange. Some would say volcanic  

Picking it up early next week. Have rarely been looking forward to a new rig more than this one. 

Will post pics.  

Might go down there and take a peek myself.  If you take delivery and there is a patch of dried saliva it might be mine.

Well it's been a month but i finally have A/C again, i got my rebuilt compressor installed and my A/C guy came out to fit a new drier and gas up the system all good.

Not good is that the battery is now cactus after not running the car for some time, so i had to jump start it and it took a bit of persuading but it finally fired and so i took her out to try the A/C, nice and cold and it was so good to drive it again, yeeha.

You probably know this already, but batteries tend to produce scale on the plates when left sitting with a small draw, such as a clock. They can be recovered by a series of full charge/ discharge cycles.  Only found this out myself recently, with my son's prelude battery, which was left sitting.  

Which reminds me, I forgot to connect my float charger before I left home.

Might go down there and take a peek myself.  If you take delivery and there is a patch of dried saliva it might be mine.

There's a Carrera GT there as well.

I was crestfallen after my boys said "sorry Dad, but the Carrera GT is more awesome".  At least it was a little bit awesome ...

IMG_1073_zps2bjgmam5.jpg

IMG_1072_zps7va1xvkp.jpg

IMG_1071_zps1xtvymr5.jpg

You probably know this already, but batteries tend to produce scale on the plates when left sitting with a small draw, such as a clock. They can be recovered by a series of full charge/ discharge cycles.  Only found this out myself recently, with my son's prelude battery, which was left sitting.  

there is a 'reform/rebuild' style setting on most CTEK chargers just for this reason - works well - I've recovered my 911 battery after being told it was dead 3 years ago

I replaced the cabin filter, radio knobs, seat knobs and washer bottle top on the Cayenne this evening, while putting off changing the top engine mount

there is a 'reform/rebuild' style setting on most CTEK chargers just for this reason - works well - I've recovered my 911 battery after being told it was dead 3 years ago

I replaced the cabin filter, radio knobs, seat knobs and washer bottle top on the Cayenne this evening, while putting off changing the top engine mount

My battery was pronounced dead almost 5 years ago, but thanks to my trickle charger it still lives. It wouldn't recover the son's battery though.  Took it to where I bought and they revived it.....free !

And it was out of warranty by a month :D

I do like your commitment to avoiding the big jobs.  Must fix the small things before they get out of hand and become big jobs to avoid too.....or maybe:blink:....could be something in this methodology.

Edited by OZ930

Great advice just a pity I didn't have time to do this before the Autohaus drive tomorrow and I just paid $220 today for a new Supercharge battery, I was done trying to revive it. So I had to drive it to make sure it was good for tomorrow :D

A good advert for this stuff, the paint underneath is perfect and has survived a kangaroo strike that made the film look like sandpaper had been taken to it, and being ripped by a branch in another spot.  Don`t leave home without it.

Edited by StevepGT3

A good advert for this stuff, the paint underneath is perfect and has survived a kangaroo strike that made the film look like sandpaper had been taken to it, and being ripped by a branch in another spot.  Don`t leave home without it.

who have you used Steve?

who have you used Steve?

these guys 

http://www.invisiblecarbras.com.au/

James wrapped the entire front of mine, and did a great job.  Had a few problems at first, but took it back and had it rectified without any dramas .    James a gentleman to deal with, thoroughly recommend them.

Opened the garage door

looked at where to start, tools required, planned the project

then

are you going into town today?....woman speak for go into town, check the mail, do the postage, get a haircut, buy me a Christmas present, put the lotto in, get groceries, get some roof sealant to fix a leak, come home, unpack, fix the leak, walk the dogs....

go to garage, now too late, close the garage door

(sigh)

Got my 928 back after 2 weeks at the best bodyworks in town. Fixing the rear 1/4 ding that stupid SUV woman caused. 
To get it properly blended in they repainted the bumper , rear 1/4 , door and front fender. And polished the whole car. 

Bruce is happy :)

pictures or it isn't true