Where did you drive your Porsche today?

Airhead

Very rarely drive the green machine to work. Being stuck in traffic on the Monash in an air cooled car can be quite stressful. And earlier in the year I found that driving in pre traffic meant dodging trucks doing 110 on the Monash in the dark.

This morning I managed to get out the door just after six and had a great run in. I also discovered that the ramp signals I typically hate when getting on the freeway are a hoot when they mean flooring it from a standing start as your drive next to a concrete barricade that amplifies that flat six howl by about ten fold!

IMG_4262

• 2 weeks later...

Early start yesterday to run the first half of the standard Eastern SMT route to Launching Place before doubling back to Seville then up past Silvan damn to Monbulk and home. 

No sun so didn't have to contend with any glare or weird shadows on the road. And hardly saw a car for the entire drive, which is always lovely. Gembrook Launching Place Road was a bit of a mixed bag unfortunately. Lots of dead fall on the road from the heavy winds of days previous and plenty of wildlife around - I had to stop on one of the beautifully tight left handers to let a family of ducks cross.

There's one hell of an imperfection in the road coming through the Hoddles Creek which is bloody dangerous - I'm amazed it's not been sorted as I clipped it on the last SMT and it's still there but even worse.

Pretty happy with the new Bilsteins too.

Well, my 996.2 had to have an oil flush and new oil & filter to try to sort out a Cam timing valve issue (error codes indicating they could be gummed up) - consequence of buying a vehicle that hasn't been driven much recently.  Instructions were to then go and drive it hard to see if the flush fixed the problem - mechanic said the oil looked like it has been in for much more than the 2000 kms it had been, so looks like the flush might have worked.  Also got him to fit the LN spin-on adaptor and oil filter I got from @Stephen Tinker

So I drove the car hard as instructed  :P,  left home at just after 6.00am, and did the old Legana and Holwell Targa Tasmania stages on my way to work.  Didn't meet a single car on the Holwell stage!!

Very enjoyable drive, no warning lights flashed up, although the oil pressure gauge was bouncing around a bit, which my mechanic warned me could happen, indicating a new oil pressure relive spring may be needed too...

Best drive to work I've had in a long time, although I'm not sure I want to get up quite that early in order to do it all the time....

Grabbed the 2.4S for a run down the coast via West Brunswick and then Mentone to scoop up kids friend to bring down with me ...

42 deg outside, windows down and rear 1/4’s open. About as effective as my 930’s AC ... fully gassed!

Oil temp at a steady but high 110 was safe enough.

Spent a bit more time in Mentone that’s intended as ambient and under hood temps conspired to cause the mother of all vaporizations.  Let the engine cool down and still nothing.  Called my new best friend Michael from Autoart who told me to leave the ignition on for about 2 minutes to allow fuel to circulate through the system (noting that most of the one way valves don’t work to keep fuel up the the pump) and after a few cranks - fire in the hole.

Got it to the destination and noticed a knock from the steering.  Crawled in the dirt to check tie rod ends - OK, lifted the smugglers box lid to check the uni joint - OK.  There is some play in the shaft at the point under the dash but I’ll get to that tomorrow and have a look (had the same issue on a C3 I had and again a plastic bush had just popped forward a little. 

So, I was thinking the rack may be loose but Long Distance Diagnostic Man (Garner got another call ...) suggests possible nylon bush on LHS of steering rack may have worked loose.

No slop in the steering and it doesn’t wander so I think its internal to the rack.  

Will get down and dirty again tomorrow and have a closer look. 

I love old cars ...

I love old cars ...

Monday morning, 9.30 am so still in the Melbourne peak hour.

Drove the 2.4S from the coast for a thing I had on in West Brunswick.  Had my 8 yo in the car.

Having a fat old time.  Getting onto the on ramp for the Bolte Bridge, rounded up a 991 Turbo S (may have had a nice gentle 4 wheel drift going on the big loop ...).

Was thinking how strong the car is from 4000 onwards as I was entering the bridge proper ..... and silence.  Nothing.  Engine stopped.

Ease it from the RH lane to the left (no emergency lanes on the Bolte) and hit the hazard lights whilst watching for cars in the rear view mirror as they barrel off the Westgate onto the bridge as I was now stuck on their slip road ...

Suddenly felt very vulnerable and my son looks at me and says “Daddy, I’m shaking” so he’s got the nerves up big time.  Me, I’m 75% looking in the mirror 25% trying to get the thing to fire up.  

Get this, a guy pulls up behind me which is OK but gets to within 3 feet of the rear of the car and sits there.  So, now there’s 2 cars stationary and he doesn’t have his hazards on and then sits on his horn - because that will help.  Then another well evolved human being pulls up behind him and, I kid you not, gets out of his car (remember, this is one of the busiest roads in Melbourne at peak hour) and starts shouting and waving his arms - because that will help even more than the guy on the horn.  

Seriously, incredulous doesn’t begin to describe my reaction.  And I’m seeing visions of some NoDoz addled trucker pole axing Arm Flapper Man’s car and the whole shebang turning into an unplanned BBQ ...

All the time on line on the phone looking for the Transurban number when I see a flat bed and traffic control truck pull up.  Response time 7 minutes!  That I was parked right in front of a camera may have helped ...

The guys were very helpful, ushering us into the rear of the flat bed whilst they loaded the car.  The 8 yo was cooler about it than me as I was mentally working out how to off load all my old cars given the number of “classic car moments” I’ve had in the last year or so ... which also involved a bridge (Westgate that time ...)

We were dropped off at the Port Diner Truck Stop (check it out - “gritty” about describes it - but seems well attended so the food must be OK) and left the car parked between 2 B doubless.  I popped the boot and had a listen to the MSD, nothing unusual.  Fiddled and twirled the fuses and the 2 relays.  Kicked it in the guts.  Nothing.  Plenty of crank, no fire.   Grabbed an Uber and made arrangements for my friendly tow truck man Evil (yes, thats his name - I don’t know his real one ...)  to collect it and take it to Michael at Autoart.  

Car duly delivered.  Diagnosis fairly simply.  Rotor button had crapped out and in the process stuffed the coil.  

Whilst there its getting the full review, the steering knock looked at and the top end tightened, clearances checked etc as its done about 1000 km since the rebuild.

Have calmed down now and the “classics” in the shed are safe - for now!

Am going to take the 356 out for a burl (but nowhere near any bridges) and if it behaves, the whole lot of them can stay otherwise ...

I won’t love old cars anymore ...

40 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

I love old cars ...

Monday morning, 9.30 am so still in the Melbourne peak hour.

Drove the 2.4S from the coast for a thing I had on in West Brunswick.  Had my 8 yo in the car.

Having a fat old time.  Getting onto the on ramp for the Bolte Bridge, rounded up a 991 Turbo S (may have had a nice gentle 4 wheel drift going on the big loop ...).

Was thinking how strong the car is from 4000 onwards as I was entering the bridge proper ..... and silence.  Nothing.  Engine stopped.

Ease it from the RH lane to the left (no emergency lanes on the Bolte) and hit the hazard lights whilst watching for cars in the rear view mirror as they barrel off the Westgate onto the bridge as I was now stuck on their slip road ...

Suddenly felt very vulnerable and my son looks at me and says “Daddy, I’m shaking” so he’s got the nerves up big time.  Me, I’m 75% looking in the mirror 25% trying to get the thing to fire up.  

Get this, a guy pulls up behind me which is OK but gets to within 3 feet of the rear of the car and sits there.  So, now there’s 2 cars stationary and he doesn’t have his hazards on and then sits on his horn - because that will help.  Then another well evolved human being pulls up behind him and, I kid you not, gets out of his car (remember, this is one of the busiest roads in Melbourne at peak hour) and starts shouting and waving his arms - because that will help even more than the guy on the horn.  

Seriously, incredulous doesn’t begin to describe my reaction.  And I’m seeing visions of some NoDoz addled trucker pole axing Arm Flapper Man’s car and the whole shebang turning into an unplanned BBQ ...

All the time on line on the phone looking for the Transurban number when I see a flat bed and traffic control truck pull up.  Response time 7 minutes!  That I was parked right in front of a camera may have helped ...

The guys were very helpful, ushering us into the rear of the flat bed whilst they loaded the car.  The 8 yo was cooler about it than me as I was mentally working out how to off load all my old cars given the number of “classic car moments” I’ve had in the last year or so ... which also involved a bridge (Westgate that time ...)

We were dropped off at the Port Diner Truck Stop (check it out - “gritty” about describes it - but seems well attended so the food must be OK) and left the car parked between 2 B doubless.  I popped the boot and had a listen to the MSD, nothing unusual.  Fiddled and twirled the fuses and the 2 relays.  Kicked it in the guts.  Nothing.  Plenty of crank, no fire.   Grabbed an Uber and made arrangements for my friendly tow truck man Evil (yes, thats his name - I don’t know his real one ...)  to collect it and take it to Michael at Autoart.  

Car duly delivered.  Diagnosis fairly simply.  Rotor button had crapped out and in the process stuffed the coil.  

Whilst there its getting the full review, the steering knock looked at and the top end tightened, clearances checked etc as its done about 1000 km since the rebuild.

Have calmed down now and the “classics” in the shed are safe - for now!

Am going to take the 356 out for a burl (but nowhere near any bridges) and if it behaves, the whole lot of them can stay otherwise ...

I won’t love old cars anymore ...

Lucky they flatbedded you, I thought they would just use one of those push cars no matter what they were pushing

46 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

had a blow out on the M7 in sydney the other day (fooking TB15's!!). Managed to wrestle the car onto the side of the road about 10m from the toll booths.

Rang NRMA - "sorry we cant pick up cars from the M7....there is a number to ring, but we cant find it"

Rang Private trucking company - "sorry we cant pick up cars from the M7....there is a number to ring, but we cant find it"

an hour has passed, several close calls with trucks, frantic waving in front of the toll booth cameras has delivered fook all...and its just hit 40degrees

Rang the wife - "honey i have one bar left on the phone, my pants are melting and no one is allowed to tow on the M7. There is a number to ring...but no one can find it"

She found it. 2.5 hrs after the flat some nice gents turned up 

Must get my self a Jack..

@turboT thought you were sporting Pirellis now? Or was this back in the day?

How are the Pirellis as I snagged the last set after I found out you got them (trend setter)?

@Skidmarks nightmare. I shit myself on the side of a freeway and usually climb the bank (if there is one) to avoid the sleepy trucker ruining my perfect life. The trouble with too many old cars is they don’t get driven. I reckon driving them and letting them break a few times (and fixing) is the best way to iron out the inevitable bugs. Can only do that so much when you’re busy wrangling kids and lawyering...

31 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

Lucky they flatbedded you, I thought they would just use one of those push cars no matter what they were pushing

Thought that too but they may have realized that their pushing thingy would have crushed the rear screen and caused them to drive over the rear of the car!!

14 minutes ago, Pork Chops said:

@turboT thought you were sporting Pirellis now? Or was this back in the day?

How are the Pirellis as I snagged the last set after I found out you got them (trend setter)?

@Skidmarks nightmare. I shit myself on the side of a freeway and usually climb the bank (if there is one) to avoid the sleepy trucker ruining my perfect life. The trouble with too many old cars is they don’t get driven. I reckon driving them and letting them break a few times (and fixing) is the best way to iron out the inevitable bugs. Can only do that so much when you’re busy wrangling kids and lawyering...

Pirellis have been good so far  - this event was the last of the TB15's. Its a bugger you snagged the last set - had a opportunity for some free rubber this week...but they couldn't find any!

1 hour ago, turboT said:

had a blow out on the M7 in sydney the other day (fooking TB15's!!).

I'm struggling to understand why/how you have had so many failures with these tyres? Have you been able to identify anything consistent with the failures, it is just punctures or do they rub on the guards etc? Are they wearing evenly prior to failure? 

22 minutes ago, hugh said:

I'm struggling to understand why/how you have had so many failures with these tyres? Have you been able to identify anything consistent with the failures, it is just punctures or do they rub on the guards etc? Are they wearing evenly prior to failure? 

too soft compound for road use Hugh imo. I do drive my car alot and all on dirty public roads. I was constantly removing stones and stuff that were embedded into the tyres. On our trip to to tassie, just before boarding the ship, i get another flat. Luckily stuckys was open. Took them in and he removed a stone about the size of a fingernail that had embedded into the rubber and gone all the way through. Before my last complete blowout I had another flat and there were 4 individual leaks in the tyres. Just got sick of being left on the side of the road to be honest.

the pirellis were recommended by Stuckys as a replacement. They are harder compound - D3 from memory. so far so good