996 GT3 Purchase

13 minutes ago, mrar said:

Yes,

That's how it's supposed to be at Porsche. Next model better.

But doesn't always work that way with peoples taste.

The first 3lt 930 is a classic old school example vs it's younger brother the 78 3.3lt. Bigger power, bigger brakes etc. but I would go the early over the later with all it's idiosyncrasies any day.

That's just me.

I actually thought they were being a little harsh on the .1. I like what Chris Harris has to say in general and have huge admiration for AP. However, I find CH tends to hold onto sentiments and regurgitate them at times. It would be good to see him drive both cars again and refresh his perspective. AP obviously has a soft spot for the .2 as it was his first baby, so to speak. Just found it really interesting to hear about the development of both vehicles. 

4 hours ago, spiller said:

Interesting discussion with Chris Harris and Andy Preuninger on 6.1 vs 6.2 on the latest Collecting Cars podcast. Well worth a listen. 

I loved that podcast, can listen to those guys talk all day… but the first thing I looked up after hearing that is KTM Freeride E-XC 🤣

Yesterday, I went through the exercise of  increasing the insured value of my 996.2 GT3 with Shannon's......not an inexpensive exercise.

I was originally  insured for $175,000, premium was $1,862 (Extreme Limited Use - use twice a month on average), with Excess of $1.750.

I took the value up to $225,000 , premium went up to $2,599 and excess went up to $2,250……ouch!

14 hours ago, spiller said:

Interesting discussion with Chris Harris and Andy Preuninger on 6.1 vs 6.2 on the latest Collecting Cars podcast. Well worth a listen. 

One of the biggest debates in the Porsche world......6.1 vs. 6.2.

I think it really is a matter of taste.....talking to folk that have had both opinion is really split....some say the 6.1 is much nicer on the road,  some say the 6.2 is more twitchy and nervous.......the 6.2 is better on the track and so on.

I love them both and when looking to buy was open to either the 6.1 or the 6.2.....i just wanted the best example possible and am happy with my 6.2.

15 hours ago, spiller said:

I think we were discussing CH view about the 6.1 five years ago;  anyway my view is the 6.1 was developed/built by the Porsche racing division, 6.2 and all subsequent GT3s have been built by Preuninger and the marketing department and CH has been bullshitting the same *lame theory since 2004.

Which isn't *lame, just reinforces each GT3 is better than the last (which is no doubt true) but in the end there will only ever be one model that can claim to be the FIRST of the evolution of the GT3s! (6.1)

5 hours ago, GTP911 said:

I think we were discussing CH view about the 6.1 five years ago;  anyway my view is the 6.1 was developed/built by the Porsche racing division, 6.2 and all subsequent GT3s have been built by Preuninger and the marketing department and CH has been bullshitting the same *lame theory since 2004.

Which isn't *lame, just reinforces each GT3 is better than the last (which is no doubt true) but in the end there will only ever be one model that can claim to be the FIRST of the evolution of the GT3s! (6.1)

Yep, he doesn’t hold back when bagging it. Starting with the old Evo mag back in 08ish or whenever it was. Bagged it in the recent top gear video when they went to the GT vault too. Seems to have a vendetta against that car! It’s the 6.2 for me personally, and if we all wanted the same thing there’d never be enough to go round for all of us (already bad enough as it is in this current climate!). As others have said, the new one is always better, and the old one is always a bit rawer/more engaging/insert whatever buzz word you want here. Different strokes for different folks, and all of that.

31 minutes ago, spiller said:

Yep, he doesn’t hold back when bagging it. Starting with the old Evo mag back in 08ish or whenever it was. 

Be interesting what CH wrote back in 1999/2000, as EVO awarded the 996.1 GT3 car of the year in 1999:

1999: Porsche 911 GT3 (996.1)

To the Scottish Highlands, and a second 911 victory. And who could argue with that? Except maybe Ferrari, whose 360 Modena finishes second. A people’s champion, the Subaru Impreza RB5, takes third.

evo Car of the Year: the winners 1998 to 2019 | evo

I think it’s the cool thing that Porsche does, that NO other car maker does… make the same model for nearly 60 years, evolve it, incrementally increase its performance and it’s loved by most car people! 

The way I see it, is that they are all a familiar & friendly face, yet a time capsule to their exact moment in history, there’s no right or wrong answer, just depends what year you want to time travel back to… a lot like wine, expression of the vintage & terroir 

8 hours ago, mrar said:

So I see on 997 thread there is low kms no driving action.

who's got the highest k 996 gt3 in aus?

Mine approaching 138000, second clutch, 6th gear not selecting sorted (b4 my ownership) and still no oil leaks yet.

I wondered this recently. I cringe at low mileage cars- just a waste. No different to keeping a model car in a box that was meant to be played with not just looked at. 

14 hours ago, spiller said:

Yep, he doesn’t hold back when bagging it. Starting with the old Evo mag back in 08ish or whenever it was. Bagged it in the recent top gear video when they went to the GT vault too. Seems to have a vendetta against that car! It’s the 6.2 for me personally, and if we all wanted the same thing there’d never be enough to go round for all of us (already bad enough as it is in this current climate!). As others have said, the new one is always better, and the old one is always a bit rawer/more engaging/insert whatever buzz word you want here. Different strokes for different folks, and all of that.

I’ve owned both.  Liked the first one better.  

9 hours ago, mrar said:

So I see on 997 thread there is low kms no driving action.

who's got the highest k 996 gt3 in aus?

Mine approaching 138000, second clutch, 6th gear not selecting sorted (b4 my ownership) and still no oil leaks yet.

Bugger, I thought I had that honour!!!!  133,000kms for me.  Arctic Silver .1

Chris Harris is a new car guy (for his personal ownership). What I mean by that is in his mind newer is better. If he doesn't like the latest one that is out he just moves to a different brand or type of car and tries the model after.

The only exception to this for him seems to be old BMWs and Alpinas in particular.

I love Chris Harris as a motoring personality and have since his early YouTube days, but I do cringe when he waxes lyrical about the latest 911 and glosses over specific problems like the 991.1 steering for example, he will mention the problem but do a hand wave over it 'what are you going to do, new legislation'. Then that character flaw gets ignored till the new generation comes out and it will be 'let's be honest, the steering feel in the previous one was rubbish'.

For that reason I view him more as an entertainer who can seriously drive, especially since Ferrari banned him from Fiorano for a few years. I notice his reviews of Ferraris have only been glowing since then. I wonder why?

Entertainer first, journo second.

On 25/11/2021 at 19:12, spiller said:

Faaarrk,  started down this rabbit hole last week, reckon I'm 8 hours in at the moment.  Beats listening to AM on the way to work and Phillip Adams or Amanda Vanstone on the way home.......