996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

32 minutes ago, tomo said:

Unless it's a 2009 it's basically a 996 with a different dash and less attractive headlights  and 20 to 30 k dearer maybe they have worked it out, That it's the basically the same car and a good couple of rounds of drinks cheaper :)

Controversial opinion: the 997 interior isn’t ageing as well as the 996 either… 🤐

44 minutes ago, ArthurK said:

People convince themselves they need the change/new car and once that mindset is in they usually jump at the next unit that comes along. No different to the property market. Rather than being rational about it people have been paying crazy stupid prices just to get in there. 

Well said mate 👍

59 minutes ago, ArthurK said:

No different to the property market. Rather than being rational about it people have been paying crazy stupid prices just to get in there. I get it but the rational side of me says screw that because this isnt realistic and when things turn it will hurt.

Kinda my point, cool heads prevail.

4 hours ago, NAC911 said:

There simply isn't any Decent Man 996 .2 under 80k. People arent silly. The Jahre FS recently for 84K sold in 2 hours...

Worthwhile to note: 

When comparing sale prices for different 996 models, most comments here refer to a 'decent' 996.2 Man Coupe at or about $80,000 having low kms. Eg 70-80kms. 

The Jahre for sale at $84,000 had 160,000kms.  

If it had low kms (or decent) it would have been priced far higher. 

2 hours ago, ArthurK said:

I get it but the rational side of me says screw that because this isnt realistic and when things turn it will hurt. 

It's always so hard when buying, trying to achieve best car & value for the asking price.  

I remember well about 8-9 years ago when I really wanted a 996GT3, and I couldn't justify the asking price at $95-100,000. 

So I looked at 996Turbo's at $80-85,000. 

Never bought either...

3 hours ago, ArthurK said:

Will I buy a 996 cab on a FOMO  no chance. Does that mean I miss out so be it 

I'm sure we all have stories about what we could have bought, but what I have taken from those times I didn't buy... 

It cost years of lost time and experiences missed, for the sake of saving some dollars searching for that 'elusive' deal. 

Time enjoying the cars is more precious to me now.

6 hours ago, luzzo said:

It's always so hard when buying, trying to achieve best car & value for the asking price.  

I remember well about 8-9 years ago when I really wanted a 996GT3, and I couldn't justify the asking price at $95-100,000. 

So I looked at 996Turbo's at $80-85,000. 

Never bought either...

I'm sure we all have stories about what we could have bought, but what I have taken from those times I didn't buy... 

It cost years of lost time and experiences missed, for the sake of saving some dollars searching for that 'elusive' deal. 

In 8-9 years i wonder what we'll be saying? Those GT3's are now $250k and Turbos $150k

At the end of the day you're right, that "right" car wont come around often, paying a bit extra now for a lifetime of enjoyment is a good investment in your own fun.

On 04/02/2022 at 22:28, Sherpa said:

Controversial opinion: the 997 interior isn’t ageing as well as the 996 either… 🤐

997 interior is still 100 times better than 996. The interior in my opinion is by far the worst aspect of the 996. Exterior looks and driving are fantastic. 

14 hours ago, luzzo said:

t cost years of lost time and experiences missed, for the sake of saving some dollars searching for that 'elusive' deal. 

I guess this is the advantage I have at the moment, I still get to drive the 991.2 GTS. The 996 cab is pure indulgence and gluttonous. Who really needs, firstly more than 1 car and secondly more than 1 911 - DONT ANSWER THAT :)!!

1 hour ago, MFX said:

997 interior is still 100 times better than 996. The interior in my opinion is by far the worst aspect of the 996.

I said it was “controversial” 🤷🏻‍♂️😁 Personally, I like that the 996 interior represents a very particular period in car design 🤓

I also celebrate any of the aspects that have kept these cars accessible: headlights, IMS bearings, and plastic interiors 🍻😅

15 hours ago, luzzo said:

^^^ This.  I had a few 'shoulda' stories in my past.  For this reason I just stoned up and paid asking price for my 996 C4S (coupe/man) and have enjoyed every kilometer since :)  It has felt even better to see the prices creep up ;)

When I sold my lovely 69 911 a few years ago for what was 996 GT3 money at the time, I thought I'd be smart and renovate our property - no regrets, but honestly and in hindsight - a GT3 would actually have been smarter 😕

15 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

^^^ This.  I had a few 'shoulda' stories in my past.  For this reason I just stoned up and paid asking price for my 996 C4S (coupe/man) and have enjoyed every kilometer since :)  It has felt even better to see the prices creep up ;)

When I sold my lovely 69 911 a few years ago for what was 996 GT3 money at the time, I thought I'd be smart and renovate our property - no regrets, but honestly and in hindsight - a GT3 would actually have been smarter 😕

Your old car is still trading for around 996 GT3 money though ;)

On 05/02/2022 at 15:05, MFX said:

997 interior is still 100 times better than 996. The interior in my opinion is by far the worst aspect of the 996. Exterior looks and driving are fantastic.

Not sure I agree on that one. The 996 has a fairly simple interior, where I worry that the 997 interior will feel like the interior of a Subaru Vortex in 10 years time...  Well maybe not quite... 😉

SubaruVortexInterior.jpeg

20 hours ago, luzzo said:

Amen to that @luzzo!

13 hours ago, MFX said:

997 interior is still 100 times better than 996.

Personal preference. I'd take the 996 interior over the 997 interior any day. The 997 interior looks so tacky and dated.

11 hours ago, CapnHyaku said:

So many classic cars becoming garage queens or some tech-bros latest investment... makes me weep.

"Tech bros" can't be car enthusiasts? 

9 hours ago, AndrewM said:

Not sure I agree on that one. The 996 has a fairly simple interior, where I worry that the 997 interior will feel like the interior of a Subaru Vortex in 10 years time...  Well maybe not quite... 😉

Gives another meaning to pistol grip, looking at that steering wheel 😎

9 hours ago, AndrewM said:

Now THAT is a cool interior! :D 

The 996.2 interior is better than .1, and with the leather dash in the Turbo etc, it is much better. But the base .1 interior is a pretty terrible thing (particularly in a lighter colour). The door trims are made from some very nasty textured plastic, no glove box, no cup holders, and it looks remarkably similar the the interior of a Hyundai Excel ;)

19 minutes ago, mrar said:

Come on,you can put your gloves in the centre console and cup holders...really?

Think I've turned the stereo on once, I would of ditched that too if I'd ordered it new.

Don't really pay much attention the the dash/trims,only the digital numbers/ tacho  in cluster mostly.

Pretty funny though getting sprayed with foam out of the vents with fan up and fresh air vent open at speed.

I have or have owned and or driven most of the generations and my 'unpopular opinion' (in this thread particularly) is that the 996 is the poorest interior of all (not to say the 997 is amazing because it is not either). Driving wise, the 996 is fantastic, you will get no argument from me there :D 

11 hours ago, MFX said:

Now THAT is a cool interior! :D 

The 996.2 interior is better than .1, and with the leather dash in the Turbo etc, it is much better. But the base .1 interior is a pretty terrible thing (particularly in a lighter colour). The door trims are made from some very nasty textured plastic, no glove box, no cup holders, and it looks remarkably similar the the interior of a Hyundai Excel ;)

As someone who owns a 996.1 which has a glove box, has cup holders (like this matters - but there you go), has a leather dash and has leather door trims I will keep reiterating the blanket statements about the 996 are misleading. 

It comes down to the specification of the original buyer and many of the things that it gets panned for were common; but they are not universal truths and with patience it is possible to buy a 996.1 with a nice interior which is all leather and which is an entirely pleasant place to be with no nasty plastic.

1 minute ago, Carrera28 said:

As someone who owns a 996.1 which has a glove box, has cup holders (like this matters - but there you go), has a leather dash and has leather door trims I will keep reiterating the blanket statements about the 996 are misleading. 

It comes down to the specification of the original buyer and many of the things that it gets panned for were common; but they are not universal truths and with patience it is possible to buy a 996.1 with a nice interior which is all leather and which is an entirely pleasant place to be with no nasty plastic.

That is interesting. I didn't know any 996.1s had a glove box.

3 hours ago, MFX said:

That is interesting. I didn't know any 996.1s had a glove box.

I was under the same impression. They re-introduced the glove box with the .2. Didnt realise the 996.1 didnt have the same slim cupholders the .2 had in the console below the air vents.

The 996 interior was an upgrade to 20+ year old look of the previous interiors that didnt change much at all. I didnt mind the interior of the 996. It was a step up from the previous interiors. All said and done though, i never bought the 911 for its interior. It was never front of mind when getting behind the wheel. 

Everyone would comment on its bland interior and it was water off a ducks back for me.