Where did you drive your Porsche today?

Airhead

10 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Video very well done Andy, the weather sure did throw a bit of everything at you guys - no offs, all good!

Watched via FB during a quick breakfast this morning.  Fantastic video, great job

16 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Video very well done Andy, the weather sure did throw a bit of everything at you guys - no offs, all good!

I got new tyre on the Friday and was glad I did!

6 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Watched via FB during a quick breakfast this morning.  Fantastic video, great job

Cheers mate. Editing it was a fun way to keep reliving it!

On 27/05/2019 at 13:49, Andy73 said:

Video highlights from our Alpine run a few weeks back...

Amazing few days and just a great time with good people.

Great video and sound quality, thank you for sharing.It sure did look cold on top of the hill!

18 hours ago, Coastr said:

Great work Andy...a lot of time spent setting up those shots - how was everyone so patient?

Not nearly as much time setting them up as you'd think mate. Was mostly a case of getting a 60 second head start, racing ahead to try and find a half decent shot, jumping out of the car and getting set before everyone had already driven past!

1 hour ago, Andy73 said:

Not nearly as much time setting them up as you'd think mate. Was mostly a case of getting a 60 second head start, racing ahead to try and find a half decent shot, jumping out of the car and getting set before everyone had already driven past!

That's why you are a pro. B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve been driving my 70’s cars for the last few weeks.  Flares and tie dye T shirts anyone?

So cool.  They smell good too.  I’ve also noticed, all their clocks work.  And keep time as well as any watch.  And they’re between 46 and 48 years old...

Nice to drive around Flinders and Red Hill today.  Weather could not have been better and a nice lunch at Merricks General Store.  Saw a nice 991.1 manual Targa there as well.  Dexter Pinot Noir very nice too.

Whilst discussing old clocks.  We have a Gold Star (now LG I think) digital clock that has been beside our bed since we were married in 1979.  Clock was won in a work raffle in 1977.  Every morning for the past 40+ years it has woken us up and has not missed a beat.  I cannot get over the fact that it still is going with no faults after all this time and has been on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  How is this possible?  Will it out live me is the next question?  Does anyone have an appliance older than our digital clock that is still used every day?

11 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Nice to drive around Flinders and Red Hill today.  Weather could not have been better and a nice lunch at Merricks General Store.  Saw a nice 991.1 manual Targa there as well.  Dexter Pinot Noir very nice too.

Whilst discussing old clocks.  We have a Gold Star (now LG I think) digital clock that has been beside our bed since we were married in 1979.  Clock was won in a work raffle in 1977.  Every morning for the past 40+ years it has woken us up and has not missed a beat.  I cannot get over the fact that it still is going with no faults after all this time and has been on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  How is this possible?  Will it out live me is the next question?  Does anyone have an appliance older than our digital clock that is still used every day?

+1 For the Peninsula......... I could be a little bias.

13 hours ago, Rod C said:

+1 For the Peninsula......... I could be a little bias.

I took the 996.1 GT3 for a bit of a burn from Flinders/Balnarring/Red Hill/Flinders today.  

Such a great car. I really don’t get why a limited numbers car built on the motorsport production line isn’t more sought after.  

I’m sitting here looking at the lines.   Clean, light touch.   Even the fried eggs look like they belong .  Add no traction control and a chassis that’s still all analogue ...

I’d encourage anyone to go find one and buy if you’re able.    The market is low and you’ll be the smart one in the near future.   

Oh, and the clock works just fine.  

1 hour ago, Skidmarks said:

I took the 996.1 GT3 for a bit of s burn from Flinders Balnarring Red Hill Flinders today.  Such a great car   I really don’t get why a limited numbers car built on the motorsport production line isn’t more sought after.  

I’m sitting here looking at the lines   Clean, light touch   Even the fried eggs look like they belong .  Add no traction control and a chassis that’s still all analogue ...

I’d encourage anyone to go find one and buy if you’re able   The market is low and you’ll be the smart one in the near future.   

Oh, and the clock works just fine.  

Sage advice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have been driving the SC as a daily for the past few weeks since moving on the Macan. 

When I first purchased the car I thought that as a daily it would be a handful in the CBD, but it was all about getting used to it. It just makes me smile every time I get in it, total joy to drive.

Drove it to Taren Point this morning dropping it off at east coast suspension for the full suspension refresh, thanks for the referral @OBRUT.

Cant wait to pick it up and do the farm on the 15th 😉

• 5 weeks later...

Took the SC out on Friday to an AH drive day up in the hunter. Amazing day, the SC suspension refresh was perfect and the car generally performed faultlessly. Just made me smile all day. Had a couple of hot laps in a 91.2 GT3, faaaaaark pretty impressive piece of kit. Certainly a day I would do again. Was able to meet up with @Caver on the day and certainly loved hearing that Boxster S at full revs...

• 2 weeks later...

Took the 2.4S out of hibernation on Friday morning.  

After 3+ months asleep, needed some coaxing but it awoke.

Drove it to work in the outer CBD then home in peak hour.  No complaints. 

Then all Saturday ferrying kids to various sports at which I am assured they will excel to the point of making Olympic selection ... made it across the Bolte - the scene of a flame out in this car -  high 5’s and we’re off.  

Filled  the tank to brimming as we had some distance to cover.   Glorious day.  Drive from north of Melbourne down to Flinders.  

What a great thing MFI is.  The sound. Revs build and then it gets to around 5000 and we get a deeper growl as it draws breath and heads for 7200.  

1.5 hours and we’re there.  Oh, forgot to get bread (and scotch ...). “I’ll go” says I. It’s a 5 minute walk but of course I have to take the S.  So 50 minutes later I return with provisions and we settle in the for night.

Sunday. A bit grey but hey, need to get more provisions for the Father’s Day lunch that the kids had just remembered they were organising.   DOC in Mornington’s the go so fire the old girl up - all neighbors woke at round 8.30 today ... 

We’re just about there and number 2 son says that he’s just checked the interweb and it opens at 9.30.  No way am I waiting so what do you do?  Well of course, we head to the Arthur’s Seat Rd for a spot of hillclimbing.  All thoughts of provisions are gone.

Return home and the rain starts.   Animals begin to pair up for what comes next.  Of course I had washed the car so as we all know, that it the trigger for drought breaking rain.

What to do?  Put on the fire, hit the couch.  Time to go home.  By now it was thunder, lightening and quasi monsoonal rain.  Let’s go then. 

Wipers?  Check.  Headlights?  Check.  Brass balls?  Hmmmm .. May have to grow those on the way.

This little car is 47 years old.  And yet, we motor along at safe speeds, heater on and thanks to the wonders of modern tyre technology feeling good.

Make it to the highway and it’s fair piss*ng down.  Still we’re doing OK.  Traffic a bit slow but as proof that old cars never get old, a few people wave and take photos.  Viper Green tends to stand out ...

So, another 1.5 hours on the road and we’re home.

I take a look at the fuel gauge.  Then I tap it.  And look again ... 220 km and its used 40 liters of fuel.  That’ll be he MFI.  And me.  And 7200 on Wide Open Throttle.

All in all, a great weekend. 

Hope you all got a chance to enjoy your car the way I did mine.  

PS. Line of the weekend from my 10 year old. “Dad, these cars are ingenious.  Hand throttle to start the car and just one lever for the heater.  So smart”. Gets you thinking doesn’t it?

• 2 weeks later...