Where did you drive your Porsche today?

Airhead

PC Tas EMR for the north / north western group, 13 or 14 cars, including 73 911E, RSR replica, 993 Turbo, nice G series SC, my GT3, 996 GT3RS, 997 Turbo, 3 or 4 Caymans, Boxsters and very nice 928.

Departure point was the new National Automobile Museum of Tas site, where we were joined by the MX5 club with the same idea.  Nice 1 1/4 run, finishing back at Blue Cafe for coffee.20200216_090832_resized.thumb.jpg.81d23a6c066b8d4cb04f339fb8bce99d.jpg

20200216_090827_resized.jpg

After a couple of months of not driving the 911, I rego'd and fitted some donated second hand Toyo 888's (thanks again Andrew) and headed to the Unley Cars n Posers meet. It was great to catch up with some people and check out a wide variety of cars. 

The highlight for me though, was a few of us heading off for a quick blat in the Adelaide hills to Uraidla, with @wilson59 @Shedpest in their GT3's @9er in his absolutely flawless '65 912/6, @AndrewW in his recently beautifully backdated car @Stew F in his Megane and Anthony in his Targa (I did try and callya @Rick V ) It was bloody good fun heading up Lobethal road through Basket Range (not so much for the Lotus 7 kit car thing that had rearranged the rock face and his car. Poor bugger, it was a mess!) and the great company as usual. Thanks fellas, I really enjoyed that 👍

As an aside, I'd never tried these Toyo 888's before (budget constraints 😁), yet even as they've done a few kms, bloody hell they have transformed the car. I've never had front grip like that before where you turn in, and the rear starts to break loose before the front even thinks about letting go!  A brief, but bloody good day, and a renewed enthusiasm for driving the car again. 

Thanks to all 👍

4 hours ago, 9er said:

Great to catch up, the run up through the hills certainly gave the 165mm tyres a workout (sorry for holding you up @Stew F)

I heard it was quite the sight to behold Chris. Stew was pretty animated with his description anyway 😁 

Driven. Not hidden 👍

10 hours ago, hugh said:

@LeeM What tyres were you running previously? 

Hankook Evo 12 on my 16's and Nangkang AR1 on 15's.

The Hankooks are a great all rounder in dry or wet and have lasted nearly 3 years with a lot of life still in them being a little harder compound tyre, but they don't offer the amount of grip the Toyo does (ofcourse). The rear Hankooks are reasonably predictable which you can handle to a point (except when they break loose and send you into a guard rail), yet I've never had a lot of confidence with front grip, so I never push it. The Toyo's just filled me with confidence and have a really good feel to them more than I felt with the 15' Nangkang AR1's, and you can just jam it into a corner and know it's going to stick (at my hills speeds anyway) 

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up the 912/6 following a few tweaks and took it for a proper thrashing. My 10 yo son just laughed the whole way.

Tweaks - Fitted 7” rims all around, 6” spare, fitted new heated seats, fitted my spare 915 with close ratio straight cut gears (I’d forgotten about the racket the whine makes ...  very boy racer ...) and trick Modena diff, Wevo shifter, new speedo (electronic to suit 915), new puk clutch and turbo pressure plate.

On the weekend the boys and I are fitting the Rennline roof rack. My wife has a couple of 60’s suitcases so I’ll be loading those up for the odd display run.  

It runs a very strong 2.7 on 40 Weber’s with headers.  It’s obviously been balanced and lightened internally as it spins up fast on the heel toe downshift. Said to make around 235 hp.  Man it feels zippy.  The ratios were for the IROC when it was a 3.6 and had around 350 hp so I wasn’t sure about gearing but it’s bang on.

This car has had some smart money spent on it.  Turbo tie rods, Koni sport shocks, solid bushes on everything, raised front spindle, adjustable sway bars (through body on front), S calipers, braided lines, strut brace, Momo Prototipo ... I’m sure there’s more as I go over the car. 

It’ll do daily driver duties for the next few weeks.  

Here are some pics.  

7DAFA8BE-7583-43CA-831C-4A797D20996A.jpeg

9C6A2525-B17F-497A-811D-6AFE82365E82.jpeg

EFD77A0E-3266-4AF4-91CF-F6B59AE9D4B2.jpeg

C38232AD-DE1D-4866-8D9C-CFEA5315ABBF.jpeg

F901C0E3-29D6-4AF8-98C1-EAC1455D103A.jpeg

2EA91170-0D97-45A5-AEBE-228E0C896196.jpeg

12D3C435-D3AA-4328-BD16-CD3EE32F9764.jpeg

3 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

Did the school run this morning.  Was a bit fresh.  The heated seats work!  Such luxury.

Thing is, when I bought the seats I missed the fact that they were heated.  Bonus.

The good lord reveals himself in mysterious ways!😁

11 minutes ago, DJM said:

That’s a thing of beauty.  Mount up those suitcases and go fill them with toilet paper and potatoes from Woolies and no one will even know 👌🏻

As it happens, I showed the new rack to my wife (don’t.....!) and she went inside and got out a couple of period correct suitcases she got from her parents back in the day.  Perfect.  

My 10 yo assembled...

F2F641EC-41F6-4E63-8B9C-1EA996A86E7E.jpeg

My 10 yo assembled...

... and he now knows what Locktite is.  My work is done ... 

Following on from @Skidmarks enhancements on the 912/6 (looks great) I've embarked on a new look for an old warhorse - going hippychick for a while.  I'm sure some won't approve but I'm loving it.  Hand spray on white wrap so easy to alter should I have a change of heart.

untitled_48.jpg

untitled_47.jpg

untitled_53.jpg

untitled_50.jpg